Talk

Advanced search

Mooncup and camping. Would you? Could you?

(27 Posts)
KashaSarrasin Mon 03-Aug-09 13:56:26

We're off on our big camping adventure in a few days. AF was due last week, is currently AWOL but fairly sure it will arrive soon (deffo not pg, feels more like PCOS symptoms returning probably due to eating too much sugary crap).

I'm usually a huge mooncup fan, but I'm not sure I can cope with a mooncup in camping toilets - how would I rinse it out?!?? Has anyone camped with a mooncup and got any advice, or should I just pack some tampons instead?

Getthekettleon Mon 03-Aug-09 14:37:40

I also love me Mooncup. However, I found that when I went back to work and I was very heavy I just couldn't deal with it as well. So for the first couple of days when at my heaviest I have to use tampons, then switch to my cup.

You could take a bottle of water in the toilet with you?

tinateaspoon Mon 03-Aug-09 14:37:44

No no no - rarely have I come across campsite toilets with private sinks, so it would be a bit tricky carrying a used mooncup across from the toilets to the sinks without anyone seeing. I wouldn't be too chuffed to stand next to someone swilling one out in the sink shock. I think tampons would be best.

I hate camping with AF but she does insist on coming along sometimes! Have a good trip and hope the weather is kind.

RubberDuck Mon 03-Aug-09 15:04:45

I do, but we have our own loo in the folding caravan so I use that - is a faff though.

I tried switching to tampons one camping trip but had such bad cramps with them that it was horrid.

Somehow, I've managed to time my period for the last 4 major camping trips. <sigh>

fluffles Mon 03-Aug-09 15:09:52

i would... but i'd always take a bottle of water into the toilet with me.

particularly if it was a rural location i'd feel bad about bunging up their sanitary bins with anything else.

fluffles Mon 03-Aug-09 15:10:32

also, if AF hasn't actually arrived yet then you can put the mooncup in anyway to avoid any accidents.

KashaSarrasin Mon 03-Aug-09 15:18:33

Hmm, fluffles what sort of water bottle do you use? I think tina's public mooncup-swilling is something I'd try and avoid (!) grin but am a bit cack-handed so would be worried about spraying the place with bloody water blush.

I think I may get some tampons just in case. Hope we can find room in the car for them though!

fluffles Mon 03-Aug-09 15:22:46

just any water bottle with a sports cap, empty mooncup, quirt water in, empty down toilet again, rub with toilet paper...

MadHairDay Mon 03-Aug-09 18:37:41

I have done - in pretty minging loos at a festival - took a bottle of water in. It was faffy but worked ok, it actually felt somehow cleaner than tampons/towels, not sure how that worked. Also carried that alcohol hand gel round for after!!

MayorNaze Mon 03-Aug-09 18:40:23

have just done it! and festival lavs as well shock

i thought it was ok actually, take wetwipes and a bottle of water in with you and i had no trouble.

plus you don't have to worry about tampons/towels getting damp.

go for it!

good luck

MayorNaze Mon 03-Aug-09 18:40:48

oh yes, hand gel also a v g thing

KashaSarrasin Mon 03-Aug-09 22:42:03

Thanks! Still hoping AF will hold off until we get back, but will try the water bottle approach before resorting to tampons I think.

AitchTwoOh Mon 03-Aug-09 22:46:35

i've only been camping twice this summer and both bloody times i had my period. i was sooooo glad i was using a mooncup, i must say, the idea of having to dispose of tampons or towels squicked me out.
i wore a towel for extra protection at night, so no worries about leaking, but during the day i was up at the loos so often, washing dishes, taking dd to loo, swingpark etc that i just made the effort to empty it a lot. i didn't wash it, apart from once a day in the shower.

serinBrightside Mon 03-Aug-09 23:16:52

LOL, read the thread as Moondog camping! Had to say that I bet she wouldn't grin

tinateaspoon Tue 04-Aug-09 10:39:53

Oooh you organised women - you have almost persuaded me to have a go! I usually forget to take my tampons to the toilet so this could be the future. I should not have dismissed it out of hand.

Overmydeadbody Tue 04-Aug-09 10:41:30

No no no

Seriously, why bother with the extra hassle of it?

Just take yer tampons.

FlappyTheBat Tue 04-Aug-09 10:52:24

I'm not a mooncup user, but the idea of having a shower after someone has washed out their mooncup in the shower, before I get in, that's it - never ever having another shower in a campsite again!!!

AitchTwoOh Tue 04-Aug-09 15:17:32

ha ha, you;ve obviously never given thought to the fact that a lot of men have a piss in the shower. women too, for all i know.

it's just blood. if someone has a cut on their leg will you freak out too?

i'm bad enough at rememberinig to take my shampoo to the shower block, the idea of having to carry a tampon up my sleeve is quite beyond me.

Cadelaide Tue 04-Aug-09 15:18:26

God no

AitchTwoOh Tue 04-Aug-09 15:18:55

btw i don't mean i pour a mooncup into the shower. obviously i've used the loo first and wiped it down with loo paper etc. it's not swilling around my feet, you twit. grin

Goober Tue 04-Aug-09 20:07:21

Get another mooncup.
One to have in use while you secretly clean the other one.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 04-Aug-09 20:13:19

I empty mine in the shower in the morning - take it out, pour down the plug hole, rinse and re-insert. Barely any blood in the shower - and anyway it is POURING with water and all washes away fairly quickly.
This is obviously my own shower, but it wouldn't even have occured to me not to do it in someone elses.

kitsmummy Tue 04-Aug-09 20:16:41

Bluuuuurgh grin

QOD Tue 04-Aug-09 20:18:21

I am bloody (snort) well due on when we are away in our caravan, to be honest think I will take towels. My loo is quite small and I am BIG so can't really do it in there - too faffy in the block so......
sigh

KashaSarrasin Tue 04-Aug-09 20:22:16

Eww at the blood and piss in the shower! True that it gets washed away straight away, but [gross]...

Anyway we're off tomorrow so fingers crossed AF stays away and I'll try to remember to report back when we get home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now