Talk

Advanced search

Do you have camping box of essentials you just pack away after each trip or not ??

(26 Posts)
Lilyloo Sat 01-Aug-09 21:04:22

I now have a varied box of allsorts of essentials growing each trip that get's packed away each time.
Unfortunately there is the mustard tube in there which means it will really be a luxury on our next trip wink

But has essential;s such as pegs , lights , string , first aid kit, corkscrew , can opener, lights, etc and more junk we have accumulated a ping pong set etc

flippyflop Sat 01-Aug-09 21:10:57

yep I have 3 permanent camping boxes that live in the garage..torches, batteries, candles, matches, cheapo solar lights, gaffer tape, toilet & kitchen rolls, wipes, washing up stuff etc. etc. Just stock it all up/wash tea towels etc each time we come home & shove it back in the garage.
I also have a whole set of old pans/cutlery etc. so I don't have to raid the kitchen before we go - also means I'm far less likely to forget anything essential.

Good old ikea/wilkinsons/poundland!!

Slubberdegullion Sat 01-Aug-09 21:20:18

yup. I have two. My most favoured anally box is filled with further tupperware boxes containing

tent repairs/spare guys
insect repelling/anointing
calpol/zirtec/fybogel
matches and batteries

I love my box.

LittleFriendSusan Sat 01-Aug-09 21:32:56

Yes - we have a big lidded plastic crate with all the plates / cups / cutlery / kitchen stuff. A smaller box with all odd bits like washing-up stuff, tape, pegs, etc, then a small holdall with all the torches, batteries,lamps, pump, multi-point 12V adapter, chargers, etc. Spare mantels for lamp & pump adaptors in side pockets. And a big tescos bag with spare gas canisters & a few slow-burning log things.

We still manage to forget something every time though!

Kbear Sat 01-Aug-09 21:44:22

yep,I have a trailer, ready to hitch to the car and hit the road! It used to be a small plastic box with a lid but it grew!

specialmagiclady Sun 02-Aug-09 21:30:46

I tried to put a lot of stuff in the loft after last camping trip thinking "we'll never use that between June and August" - next trip next weekend. But I've ended up sending DH up to the loft (I don't do lofts) to get things several times. Will have to rethink.

Other than clothes and food, pretty much everything we take is kept in the 'camping cupboard' in the spare bedroom.

I just find it so much easier that everything is ready to go rather than foraging all over the house for bits and pieces.

seeker Mon 03-Aug-09 07:19:10

Yes we have. We've gradually duplicated things like coffee pots and filters and indestructable cooling things like salt and pepper and oil.

We also have a tea making set that lives in the car all the time and a and a going to the beach bag which goes in at the beginning of the summer and stays there because we live near enough to the sea side for impromptu picnics and I was fed up of buying a new bucket and spade every time!

misshardbroom Mon 03-Aug-09 07:34:04

Yes I do. Ours is just a moderately sized box but it has essential things like washing up liquid, kitchen roll etc. and then a really impressive array of enamel dishes & plates that I've been collecting from car boots & camping shops. I have more pride in my enamel collection than my 'good' Wedgwood china!

nikkid21 Mon 03-Aug-09 14:28:32

We have the trailer packer and ready to go. Stacked on top is a box that I put the washed tea towels, microfibre towels and pillowcases in. Then all we do each time is hook up the trailer and add the cool box, duvets and clothes.

We even have a box of toiletries stacked in the trailer with toothbrushes, shampoo etc as I always ended up forgetting something vital from the bathroom.

supersalstrawberry Mon 03-Aug-09 14:34:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tinateaspoon Mon 03-Aug-09 14:42:26

We have two boxes, one with all the kitchen stuff, plates, pans, can openers, cups, cutlery, chopping board etc which gets unpacked into the dishwasher at the end of the season and another with all the lamps, batteries, candles, torches, tent repair stuff, gaffer tape . They both live in the garage with everything else. Then its easy just to grab them and go, we have the packing routine down to a fine art now and it doesn't half as long as it used to!

millenniumfalcon Fri 07-Aug-09 20:22:48

lol @pegs and string being among the first things on your list i remember having a lengthy debate on here about whether pegs n string made you a kitchen sink camper not too long ago grin

semi-reviving this thread just to say YES after - i just worked it out - seventeen years of camping (as our main/only holiday) i have FINALLY twigged that it makes packing a damned site easier having a dedicated box of camping kit instead of scavenging bits from all over the house.

we had a festival cancelled at the last minute and on our substitute camping trip we never spent the festival spending money we'd set aside, so i've thrown some of it at getting just-for-camping kit, which has now arrived <squee>

set of pans, plates, mugs, beakers, cutlery AND a new camping blanket. and since it's me (see bell tent peeps help thread blush) it's all along beautiful/impractical lines (except it's all totally practical :P) - kashmiri enamel and indian stainless steel and welsh wool grin

and in case i'm not the only one thus inclined have you all seen fancy camping? they never have enough of what you want in stock, but the heart's there and they're always super quick to reply to emails.

fatzak Fri 07-Aug-09 20:27:18

Our camping box is a new addition this year and I am very pleased with it!! I did a shop at Home Bargains/Poundstretcher and filled it with all the basic kitchen stuff such as tin opener, corkscrew, cheese grater etc so it's all there.

We are just getting ready for our 2 weeks in France so it's currently all over the kitchen as we speak grin

troutpout Fri 07-Aug-09 20:35:04

i used to have one..but now have 2

Jux Fri 07-Aug-09 21:24:27

Yup. We have a whole cupboard (though small) devoted to camping stuff. Plus, a few boxes in the dining room. Oh, and the sleeping bags get used at other times so they're not included. We also have a camper van which holds a lot of stuff on a permanent basis too!

Gert2a Mon 10-Aug-09 18:57:04

I love my box of camping essentials. At the end of each season I wash everything and pack it all neatly away in a sealed box to live in the garage for the winter. But... when I get it back out in the spring, it's not neat and everything seems dirty...! How does that happen?!!

Oblomov Mon 10-Aug-09 20:20:40

I have a list currntly attached to the front of the fridge. We bought our first caravan a month ago from our neighbours. They have everything from microwave to corkscrew. But dh still says we have to take teatowels and washing up liquid and first aid lit etc.
I have this week to get it all sorted.

Overmydeadbody Mon 10-Aug-09 20:26:19

Yes I have a camping box, it has pretty much everything we need for camping in it, it is in the camping/climbing/outdoor gear cupboard along with sleeping bags and all my climbing gear.

The only things I need to pack are clothes and food.

Overmydeadbody Mon 10-Aug-09 20:29:54

I also have a washbag that is just for going away (camping/nights at friends etc.) so I never forget to pack my toothbrush or deodorant or anything. DS has one too.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 10-Aug-09 20:34:47

I have several boxes of camping essentials blush

I have one for the real essentials, as DH puts it, with torches, batteries,first aid box, t-lights, cooking equipment, spare gas cylinders, tea, coffee, dried pasta and sauce/cans of chilli for emergency, ketchup sachets, salt, pepper, string, gardening string for a washing line, gaffer tape etc etc etc etc.

Then I have my essential box - swathes for the soulpad, blankets and throws for floor/bed, mobiles, fairy lights.

Then we have the waterproof box - waterproofs for us all, spare wellies for DD, swimming costume, snorkling kit, wetsuits, rash vests, lifejacket/buoyancy aids.

All kept with spare duvet, pillows and air mattresses/DDs readbed/pump/spare nozzles.

We then have to pack food and clothing when we go. It still takes us forever, and does not stop us going back over our essentials box and repacking it blush

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 10-Aug-09 20:37:02

OMDB - oh yes, we have a washbag too, with squidgy shower gel in a pouch, toothbrushes/paste, hair brush, face wipes, shampoo/conditioner! This is kept already packed in our 'essentials' box, along with the first aid kit.

josiejo79 Wed 12-Aug-09 16:47:03

We re pack everything when we get back everytime from camping and put it all in the loft ready for the next trip. This way we seem to forget less and less each time we go. My husband actually has an Excel spreadhseet that he keeps up to date with what we take so that he can check everything off each time!

Fillyjonk Thu 13-Aug-09 21:24:28

oh dear no I don't

consequently I have spent all evening packing for a 2 day trip.

I am a bit inspired by your tales of dedicated boxes, tbh.

Though the real pita round here is food and clothes anyway.

millenniumfalcon Thu 13-Aug-09 21:31:04

all evening? pah! took me all day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now