Talk

Advanced search

camping geekery

(6 Posts)
misshardbroom Sat 01-Aug-09 11:59:32

Could someone please come and explain hydrostatic head to me in words of one syllable?

Many thanks smile

Lilyloo Sat 01-Aug-09 12:30:55

The higher the HH the more waterproof it is.

Slubberdegullion Sun 02-Aug-09 20:10:09

The number is the millimetres of water in a column put over the fabric of the tent before it leaks. So a HH of 2000 means if you put a tube over the fabric and filled it up with two metres of water it would only start to leak at that point.

misshardbroom Mon 03-Aug-09 07:35:27

Thank you both.

And I heard a rumour that there was a recommended min hydrostatic head for UK camping, is this so?

2000 is considered waterproof, Halfords sell tents with a HH of 1500, which is considered 'showerproof', neither use nor ornament in this country really.

Really the higher the better, going on how this summer has been the uk can see some pretty horrendous weather, and you really don't want a leaky tent.

Overmydeadbody Mon 03-Aug-09 07:51:02

I heard it was 2000 minimum for camping in the uk, and my tents have always been at least this and we've not suffered leakage yet, despite some horrendous downpours being endured.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now