Talk

Advanced search

Would you camp here if you were us and if so where?

(11 Posts)
PuppyLoves Fri 31-Jul-09 17:28:06

We want to go on our first ever camping trip this year. Our next annual leave is booked for 7th September and we were thinking 4 nights Mon-Fri.

Is it really cold to camp this time of year we will be taking dd who will be 22 months by then? Will it too cold for her?

We live in Reading so where would you stay if you were us?

FantasticMissFox Fri 31-Jul-09 18:02:49

I'd go- make sure you take duvets aswell as sleeping bags and hot water bottles in case it gets cold. Head south- it will be warmer- New Forest/Dorset area (near enough to rush home if it gets too rainy/cold)

misshardbroom Fri 31-Jul-09 19:54:01

If I was you, I would stay really close to home and go to Wellington Country Park. Nice friendly, well-organised site with clean facilities, nice walks, massive sand pit for DD, lovely toddler's play area, and the opportunity to come home easily if it pours down.

(but then I recommend this place all the time because it is my favourite and my best).

3rdnparty Sat 01-Aug-09 14:11:56

Another place thats close and v nice is

http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/campingand_caravanning/our_sites__locations/england-1/posternh ill.aspx

though doesn't have showers.... another place that is recommended not too far from you is

http://79.170.40.247/hurleyriversidepark.co.uk/

took ds on his 1st trip (16months) mid sep couple years ago and he slept in a travel cot which was on a picnic rug wearing 2x babygrows a grobag with arms (think from jo-jo maman?? as could use for travelling or bits of fleece really badly stitched also do the trick)in his cosy toes from the pushchair wearing a hat and mittens...with a couple of fleece blankets to hand if needed...he was fine although did wake one night as massive storm and just came in with me ...which is what still happens now he's 4 smile

the first night is still hard as out of the norm but the fresh air usually does the trick after that ... have learnt not too fret about sleep/anything as does not impact when we get back go straight back into routine..

would highly recommend getting good waterproof dungarees and jacket for playing in the rain/mud whilst keeping warm grin

PuppyLoves Sun 02-Aug-09 20:44:17

My laptop died so only able to get online by hijacking a friends!

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, I apprecite it smile

Off to investigae them!

PuppyLoves Mon 10-Aug-09 22:29:05

Laptop fixed, I can't open the first link you posted 3rdnparty. Which camp site was it?

nannyL Mon 10-Aug-09 23:42:43

We camped that weekend last year... and it wasnt too cold.

agree sleeping bag AND duvet AND fleece throw AND warm PJ's wink

feetheart Mon 10-Aug-09 23:53:57

Have camped 3rd w/e in September for at least last 10 years (last 6 with DC)
DD was 7mths when she first went and DS 10mths.
It has never been too cold and last year was the only good week of the summergrin

Found all-in-one fluffy suits great for keeping DC warm in bed and more recently Primark fleecy pyjamas though grab them whilst you can in autumn for the following year!

Definitely go and have a wonderful time - my two (now 6 and 3) LOVE camping and already have so many great memoriessmile

MrLSG Tue 11-Aug-09 00:07:24

September's not cold. Should be fine camping. Just make sure you take a warm fleece/jumper for the cooler evenings outside. Once tucked up in bed it won't be an issue.

Now if you are talking about camping when snow is on the ground, that can be cold.

nannyL Tue 11-Aug-09 00:14:39

When we camped at Easter we had ice and our tents (and cars) froze! shock

but i was warm enough with my gazillion layers grin

feetheart Tue 11-Aug-09 00:16:59

Now Easter is a completely different matter smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now