Talk

Advanced search

Do you need a duvet as well as a sleeping bag?

(11 Posts)
notanumber Thu 30-Jul-09 23:05:16

If you've got a double sleeping bag on an airbed? In Antarctica Devon in sub zero temperatures the summer?

And what about a 1.5 DC? If in a LittleLife Arc tent cot thing?

Noisesinmyhead Thu 30-Jul-09 23:11:37

Nope, we don't need a duvet as well. But you know yourselves - are you very cold at night? if you have the space in the car, take the duvet anyway. Don't know the cot thig you're talking of, but with our 1.5 we had in a sleeping bag in a travel cot and then sort of put fleecy blanket over bottom half of him if we remembered. Take extra layers for DC and then go on guy instinct i'd say

lilolilmanchester Thu 30-Jul-09 23:15:35

we've only ever camped for a weekend but much prefer a duvet to double sleeping bag. But would take the sleeping bag to put over the airbed, the cold comes up through it otherwise, as we found out the first time we took a duvet!

MumHadEnough Thu 30-Jul-09 23:19:20

We've only ever really needed a duvet as well at the end of September but we put rubber backed picnic blankets under the airbed to stop the air getting colder.

Changed over to self inflating mats this week and the difference was amazing, I was trying to kick the sleeping bag off after about an hour and I'm normally a really cold person.

Sorry can't offer advice re dc, only started taking mine when he was 5.

LittleFriendSusan Thu 30-Jul-09 23:35:18

Have only ever taken the kids with airbeds / sleeping bags / readybeds, so no idea re. the tent cot thing. We always used to put them in fleecy all-in-ones when they were younger and take plenty of fleecy blankets to go on top of sleeping bag just in case. Though they never seemed to get cold?!

For us, we have airbed, sheet, double sleeping bag and a couple of large fleece throws to go on top. And I always wear socks to bed as that makes all the difference!!

We put something under the airbeds too, have used both those foil-type emergency blankets from Poundland and fleece blankets and both seem to help insulate a bit.

That's always done us in late April / early May, so should be plenty for this time of year.

Happypetal Thu 30-Jul-09 23:39:29

I'm with Lil all the way ..... lilo, sleeping bag opened up over the top, pyjamas, socks, bobble hat and 15 tog duvet! Have fun - I live in Devon - believe me the forecast is NOT true - it's blardy freezing at night!

LoveBuckets Fri 31-Jul-09 17:16:01

We use double self-inflating mats inside double sleeping bags for a really good base. The kids have one to share and their sleeping bags on top, while me and DH go under an opened-out cotton sleeping bag (or yes, a duvet would dosmile) and big blankets to seal ourselves in.

For babies/toddlers I swear by a 2.5tog travel grobag over clothes with a cardi over the top for adjustability. They roll all over the place so just throw a small blanket over the top whenever you wakegrin.

lilolilmanchester Fri 31-Jul-09 22:15:09

another tip, which seems obvious once you know it... if you are going to change into PJs, put them on ahead of bedtime under your day clothes before it gets too cold. Then you just need to peel off your top layers. Otherwise you get cold changing and it's hard to warm up.

kalo12 Fri 31-Jul-09 22:16:15

defo duvet

Lilyloo Sat 01-Aug-09 12:28:44

I put dd in her pj's , socks,fleece jumper ,gro bag and then a blanket in her little arc cot.
Put a foil backed mat , thick blanket underneath cot too. She was fine with this.

phdlife Sat 01-Aug-09 12:38:20

I always take a fleece to stuff into the sleeping bag with me. This is because although the bag is rated warm, I am fairly small and have a hard time generating enough heat to warm the bag iyswim. never put ds in a cot either - always just had him on mattress between us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now