Talk

Advanced search

So did anyone go to Camp Bestival last weekend

(33 Posts)
NeedaNewName Tue 28-Jul-09 17:55:34

THis was my 1st festival and it was brilliant.

Didn;t rate PJ Harvey much but thought the Cuban Brothers were amazing. As was Lee Mack (DD! was one of the children at the front he was abusing - he did apologise later!!!)

There was so much to do. Definitely going again next year

cupofteaplease Tue 28-Jul-09 20:07:18

Hi, yes we did too! It was fab, can't wait until next year already! Loved Mr Tumble- dd1 had her photo taken with him, dd2 screamed the place down instead!
Loved Lee Mack and Frankie Boyle. The fireworks were amazing, as were the composting toilets- genius! Also didn't rate PJ, thought her set was quite dull... Really enjoyed Florence though.
Also loved the mojitos, the pimms and a free drink on top of the echo falls wine bus- without the children, of course!!

NeedaNewName Tue 28-Jul-09 23:02:13

I missed so much - def going next year - come on other mnetters must have been there - wehat were your best bits?

CountessDracula Tue 28-Jul-09 23:08:25

Yeah I went too
It was great
I have no idea who Mr Tumble is though
Agree PJH was pants, We defected to Beardyman who was brilliant!

Florence was great agree
And Cuban Bros

Did any of you watch Bramble FM for any length of time? Priceless!

It was very very MC wasn't it?
I didn't see one crusty!!

ZZMum Tue 28-Jul-09 23:09:05

it was all great bar the bag searches to get in.. took us over 3 hours to unload car and put up tent.. but guess that made first mojito all the better!

however rest of it was amazing.. weather, booze, friends and music plus happy kids..

CountessDracula Tue 28-Jul-09 23:09:38

my best bit was DD aged 6 dressed in a dalmation suit being surrounded by 20 adults also in dalmation suits, all dancing and woofing in a huge circle round her with her gyrating and shaking her stuff to beardyman grin

CountessDracula Tue 28-Jul-09 23:10:05

oh yes the weather amazing
Too many day tickets on the Saturday though

Tortington Tue 28-Jul-09 23:10:23

my daughter - she was the one lancastrian at lee macks performance - you may have noticed her - she has a big gob

she went with a friend and friends family - it was her 1st fstival and she bloody loved it.

she came back wearing flowers in her hair!

pippibluestocking Tue 28-Jul-09 23:11:20

Yes - went with 2 DDs. DH stayed at home (not his thing!). First time camping and festival for DDs. Mainly focussed on childrens' activities, although did manage to squeeze in Will Young whilst queuing for churros and chocolate for DD1! Really enjoyed Mr. Tumble and Angelina Ballerina and other activites in Kids Garden. Was disappointed by lack of programme and lack of entertainment for children leading up to fireworks at 2220 on Sunday. Lack of a programme left me confused about the finale and DDs stayed up for the ballet (which I thought was going to be in the Big Top), followed by the fireworks over the castle, but instead got faced by a comedian effing and blinding and talking about paedophilessad. Where were the ENB?

CountessDracula Tue 28-Jul-09 23:12:14

is that you custy?

DD did a lot of flowers in hair
and on face
and HUGE gold and black false eyelashes...
she looked amazing!

In fact I rather embarrasingly found myself in a petrol station in Salisbury on Sunday evening in a purple hoody with purple flower garland in my hair - had taken it to look after for dd and shoved it on my head and forgotten about it blush

CountessDracula Tue 28-Jul-09 23:13:26

the Angelina ballet was in the big top
at about 4pm I think
Dd has seen before and didn't want to see again so we didn't bother

Tortington Tue 28-Jul-09 23:13:47

yip tis me

CountessDracula Tue 28-Jul-09 23:14:41

you've gone all strange
I wish I'd known your dd was there
Glad she had fun smile

Tortington Tue 28-Jul-09 23:16:15

she was drunk a lot from what i can gather

pippibluestocking Tue 28-Jul-09 23:17:07

Thanks, Countess - no saw Angelina but I had the impression that the ENB were performing a piece as part of the grand finale with the fireworks over the castle - was that wrong?

CountessDracula Tue 28-Jul-09 23:19:43

Oh I dunno
we left about 5 as dh had early start the next day

I was totally sober the whole time custy wink

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 23:21:42

Don't laugh - but what are the toilet facilities like when camping at Camp Bestival (my friend wants us to go with the children next year)

I tend to equate festivals with stinking honking portaloos

pippibluestocking Tue 28-Jul-09 23:24:21

Composting toilets were the star of the festival (all feedback on CB forum says so!). No smell whatsoever - fantastic!

hmc Tue 28-Jul-09 23:31:11

Ah - that's reassuring

Kewcumber Wed 29-Jul-09 14:43:44

how far was car parking from camping? Went to latitude and the ridiculous hike from car to tent makes it unfeasible as a single parent. Was thinking of camp bestival next year...

cyteen Wed 29-Jul-09 14:55:41

My best mate was playing in the marching kazoo band, if anyone saw them.

Intrigued to hear that PJ was dull - shurely shome mistake shock

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 29-Jul-09 15:24:20

Best bits -

watching the families who may not go camping putting up tents from my sisters house, some took over 2 hours.

Mr Whippy and the Conettes

The bongos, juggling and nursery rhymes on the castle lawn.

the bar tenders in the Pink Flamingo Cocktail Bar.

The Cuban Brothers (thank you DH for babysitting)

Will Young was a revelation

And thanks to my parents who had DC's to stay overnight on Sunday, getting very pissed and boogying my socks of to Candi Staton and Chic followed by the fireworks.

And Mr Tumble

CountessDracula Thu 30-Jul-09 10:43:03

kew we arrived quite late and parked right next to the entrance to our campsite
It was about 4 mins walk from car to where our friends had pitched camp

redandgreen Thu 30-Jul-09 10:51:06

Kewcumber, we were at Latitude and got a nice young man called Adam to collect all our stuff in a wheelbarrow and take it back to our car, despite the fact I was with Dp and three strong teens. blush blush blush blush blush blush blush

Kewcumber Thu 30-Jul-09 13:00:26

thats sounds better CD - think I might try bestival next year. Red&G I wouldn;t have got my stuff all on one barrow blush and there was no help around for love nor money - we hired a barrow and used the pushchair and it still took two very long trips! At an hour return each time it took us the best part of Thursday pm to set up and Sunday pm to pack down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now