Talk

Advanced search

Camping Virgin

(21 Posts)
BroodyChook Tue 28-Jul-09 11:53:15

Right, we're complete camping virgins, and are looking to book a short break somewhere over the summer holidays. We live in the midlands, so we're thinking maybe somewhere in Wales. Can anyone recommend anywhere? Also, we haven't yet got any equipment at all, but have been eyeing the Halfords full kit for a hundred-ish pounds thingy. Would that be a complete waste of money? Our DC are 8 and 6. Thanks!

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 28-Jul-09 11:57:38

Ooh - I'm planning the same thing (and have already bought the 4-man bargain from Halfords but haven't tried it out in the garden yet!!) so shameless bump awaiting the more knowledgeable ladies to provide info grin

thehairybabysmum Tue 28-Jul-09 12:05:29

Me too...ive jsut ordered (yesterday) the Halfords deal.

We are going to a small festival in Dorset next week with friends...am excited but also slightly nervous as dc's 3.5 and 20 months!

Would be nice if someone could come and reassure me that ds2 wont be found wandering in a neighbouring county!!

BroodyChook Tue 28-Jul-09 12:25:21

Lol! I'm thrilled to find fellow nervous virgins! grin

thehairybabysmum Tue 28-Jul-09 13:11:08

Not camping specific but we went to N. Wales last year, near Conwy and was a fab area for kids..lots of castles and things to do as well as beach..plus snowdonia though we didnt go that far.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 28-Jul-09 13:13:24

thehairybabysmum (fab name by the way) - i think I may have things a little easier have only the one DS and he's 14 wink

thehairybabysmum Tue 28-Jul-09 13:13:36

No one wants to reassure us??? In taht case if you live in Gloucestershire next week keep an eye out for cheeky but v. cute blonde boy!!

thehairybabysmum Tue 28-Jul-09 13:17:18

Thanks grin

I shall report on the Halfords tent when it comes. Reviews were v. good though for the tent...sleeping bags apparently rubbish so ill just take our duvets as back up i think!

thehairybabysmum Tue 28-Jul-09 13:18:15

Right, have just read that you've already got yours...oops! We cant test ours out as we only have a back yard so it will be straight in at the deep end next week!!

thehairybabysmum Tue 28-Jul-09 13:20:33

If you click on my profile you will see thte reason for my name BTW.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Tue 28-Jul-09 13:26:29

the hydrostatic head is 1500 - they do advise a minimum of 2000 and best 3000 for our 2 season camping summers so you would beneeding to make sure your going on a fine weekend so you dont get pissy wet through as i think 1500 is classed as light shower proof. grin. Sorry i feel rotten now . That said im sure ive camped in similar and never suffered.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 28-Jul-09 13:29:53

Ah how cute!! My DS was born with a head of hair just like your little one (helped to explain the horrendous heart-burn I had) ... he's now blonde!!

I had a feeling the sleeping bags wouldn't be up to much - they can't be that thick fitting 4 in the bag along with the tent and lamps - but I've no plans in camping in the winter so it should be ok.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 28-Jul-09 13:31:26

no worries nappyzone - like I said I'm a bit of a wimp so won't be venturing outdoors unless it's guaranteed (yeah, whatever grin ) to be dry.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Tue 28-Jul-09 13:33:25

ahhh just go anyway - it wont rain that bad and it will be a laugh - we take a duvet to chuck over top of sleeping bags because we are weak and feel the cold anyway.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Tue 28-Jul-09 13:33:49

that a serious amount of hair!!

thehairybabysmum Tue 28-Jul-09 13:34:26

Going for the fingers crossed option here then!!

Iklboo Tue 28-Jul-09 13:34:45

Ooh us too! Is the next MN meet up going to be a la Glastonbury - 400 families in Halford's tents grin

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 28-Jul-09 13:34:52

oh we plan to wink I'm just being daft.

We'll probably up to the Lakes as it's only about an hour away from us, and it's gorgeous up there with LOADS of camping sites.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 28-Jul-09 13:35:45

LOL at Iklboo

thehairybabysmum Tue 28-Jul-09 14:09:08

Yes Ilkboo, all chuffed we got a bargain but a bit damp cos the hydrostaic head isnt quite enough grin

blueshoes Tue 28-Jul-09 14:20:31

Will be keeping an eye on this thread. I am not camping but dh will be taking the children (6 and 3) camping for the first time over the Aug bank holiday weekend.

He bought a 4m belltent. It is slightly more costly but has good resale value on ebay if it all goes tits up.

It is apparently easy for one person to set up, which was a big consideration as dh will be on his own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now