Talk

Advanced search

1st time campers and next door's baby kept us awake every night.

(15 Posts)
organiser Mon 27-Jul-09 13:32:20

Is this unusual or a frequent occurence on campsites. To top it off the Dad was singing Old Mac Donald at 6.45am at the top of his voice. It also disturbed the tent on the other side of us. Any recommendatios to help avoid this situation in the future. By the way I would have been mortified if my children had disturbed anyone elses peace.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Mon 27-Jul-09 13:37:30

It's completely normal to be disurbed by other peoples noise if you are camping somewhere busy.

Obviously the child couldn't help it, but the dad was being fairly inconsiderate.

The only way to avoid it is to camp somewhere quieter, more out of season.

mzmum Mon 27-Jul-09 16:01:27

So, how exactly would you stop your baby screaming then???? Stuff its mouth with a sock??? I suggest you go to a non family-friendly site then or give up camping.
From: A "now very worried about 7 month old annoying everyone during much looked forward to 2 week trip to France next month" camper.......
PS. obviously I won't be singing to stop baby crying at 6.45am (yes, v.inconsiderate) but will try and get milk down her throat...!!

hercules1 Mon 27-Jul-09 16:02:28

THere are sites with no children.

hercules1 Mon 27-Jul-09 16:02:28

THere are sites with no children.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 27-Jul-09 16:04:02

Earplugs?

In the middle of the second night you should have cut their guyropes. They'd have had to have gone home and you'd have been fine. wink

fatzak Mon 27-Jul-09 16:59:02

Oh these posts fill me with dread. I know that one day there will be the " 6 year old awake by 6.00am thread" blush We are always the first awake on any site we stay on - in the past I have made coffee in a flask the night before, packed some breakfast stuff and taken DS down to the beach by 6.30am to get him off the site!! This year I am giving in and buying him a Nintendo DS in the hope it'll keep him quiet blush

faraday Tue 04-Aug-09 21:35:55

We do the Nintendo DS thing- works a treat! Our boys are now 8 and 10 so it's lot less of an issue than it was 3 years ago but here I will stick my neck out: I think it's pretty inconsiderate bringing a small baby camping, full-stop. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing it myself as I would've been stressed off my face in case my DC disturbed anyone!

I can handle 6am though! I don't get up then but camping-type noise then wouldn't irritate me unduly- in fact, at time sit amuses me as I know those 6 year olds are waking the inconsiderate bar-stewards who partied on til 2am...grin

misdee Tue 04-Aug-09 21:40:01

baby crying doesnt bother me.

singing at 6.45am does.

i have camped in the past with v young children, next to my parents caravan. i think dd2 was under a year at thwe time. i have been fortnate that they are 'crying' babies, but they are early risers. i used to take them over to the shower block for early morning wash and dress and try and kill half hour. then get some toast and milk in them in the caravan.

now they are older, i think nintendo ds's are the way to go lol.

misdee Tue 04-Aug-09 21:42:34

i mean, mine arent crying babies, more of a low whinge, rather than screamers.

Curiousmama Tue 04-Aug-09 21:44:14

Oh try camping on a new site that takes groups hmm Said it was family friendly. I'm open minded but the stuff coming out of the mouths of some of these people was shocking. Plus banging music until past 11pm. luckily Sunday night was quiet.

drinkyourmilk Tue 04-Aug-09 21:46:48

Just come back from camping. We had a small baby next to us, and the super-fit-life-is-for-living-lets-be-joyous-at-6am family on the other side. Both parties were up by 6, both made noises - some days pretty loud in fact. Doesn't bother me one bit - camping is social. My honest advice is if you don't like it camp somewhere basic where there are likely to be less kids.

Now the inconsiderate gits who ignore noise curfews............ GAH!!!

blithedance Tue 04-Aug-09 22:13:19

Next time you could camp on the moral high ground since you are lucky enough to have occupied it grin

I am joking but I have been that parent with the screaming baby, believe me it is no fun because you get no sleep whatsoever AND you are wishing the ground would swallow you up. Mortified is not the word - but really what else can you do? Luckily we were in a group of friends and they were very gracious. Babies do not shut up on demand, especially not when they have worked themselves up and are in a strange environment.

Not sure about the singing but grown men don't usually sing nursery rhymes unless they are trying to keep their children quiet.

The thing about camping is that you are just a curtain away from your fellow human beings - crying, laughing, singing, snoring, human beings. If that's too close for comfort you just have to go for a very remote field, or a hotel!

Better luck next time smile

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 04-Aug-09 22:17:16

<wanders off to search for remote field>

Singing men at 6.45am is unforgiveable. And I'll bet he wasn't even in tune.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now