Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me choose a tent?

(26 Posts)
Psychobabble Fri 24-Jul-09 21:25:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I would have loved to have helped, but after your disparaging comment about my beloved Montana, I am unable to.

grin

Wonderstuff Fri 24-Jul-09 21:30:16

We have this works well for us. 4 poles, two different lengths, colour coded so quite idiot proof (dh and I can do it anyone can). Fairly decent size in the middle. Dh 6'2" can stand.

Psychobabble Fri 24-Jul-09 21:30:29

SazzlesA Fri 24-Jul-09 21:31:43

Message withdrawn

Washersaurus Fri 24-Jul-09 21:33:09

I'm feeling a bit offended too (on behalf of my beautiful Monty) grin

FlappyTheBat Fri 24-Jul-09 21:33:39

We have a Montana 6 and it is a perfect size for a family of 4, it would be real squeeze for 6 tbh!

takes about 20-30mins to put up. Ours is 2007 model and haven't had any problems with reliability.

haven't seen any spiders in tent either grin, benefits of a SIG!!!

SazzlesA Fri 24-Jul-09 21:34:00

Message withdrawn

Psychobabble Fri 24-Jul-09 21:35:39

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Fri 24-Jul-09 21:36:13

We have a vango icarus 500 - fab for weekends, spider proof - only 3 poles all same length. It serves our family well 2 adults 6 and 2 yr old with 2 bedrooms divided by curtain and enough inside room to eat your brekky inside. Cost us £104 in sale but generally £150.

Psychobabble Fri 24-Jul-09 21:36:19

Psychobabble Fri 24-Jul-09 21:37:36

Aksherly you might be right, I use the Monty for weekends but only because I use it for weeks too, it is quite large.

However that said do buy a bigger tent than you think you will need, unless you are a wierdy minimalst camper who plans to travel with no more than a blanket, a shovel and a tin mug. I know nothing of that kind of camping.

If there are 4 of you, you need at least a 5 man.

The Wild country is good, a few have been purchased by mntters lately, hopefully one of them will be along soon to give you a better low down. Ukcs do seem to review it as taking a long time to erect though review here. It doesn't appear to have a SIG throughout, so may not be ideal for keeping out all creepy-crawlies. That said I don't think I have ever seen a spider in my tent, wasps, mozzies, endless earwigs, and general annoying flies aplenty.

What about this? we were camped next to one this year, found myself admiring it.

SazzlesA Fri 24-Jul-09 21:44:07

Message withdrawn

SazzlesA Fri 24-Jul-09 21:45:31

Message withdrawn

iheartdusty Fri 24-Jul-09 21:46:19

we have a Montana 6 which we have stopped using because it is too big.

we often camp at festivals and it was embarrassing having this mansion of a tent when all around there were little ones without really enough room.

now we have a Minnesota 4 (which seems to me to be identical to a Monty - maybe it is the Monty 4??) and it is ideal IMO. Plus we have a side extension which we use if staying for more than 1 night, for cooking in and sleeping out in.

I can put it up single handed in under 15 minutes, as can DH, since we watched a brilliant clip on Youtube.

should say we have 2 DCs aged 5 and 7, space is just right, but if they were much older it might start to feel a bit more cramped.

iheartdusty Fri 24-Jul-09 21:47:38

should have said sitting out in side extension.

Psychobabble Fri 24-Jul-09 21:54:50

runnervt Fri 24-Jul-09 22:05:20

We've got a Wild Country Halo 43. I'm not entirely sure how it compares to the Homestead 52 exactly but when I saw a Homestead in a shop the bedrooms seemed to have a separate SIG to the main bit whereas the Halo SIG is continuous. I think the quality is really good. It is heavy and bulky but I guess any tent of a similar size is. DH can put it up on his own in about 20 mins (he reckons).

Wonderstuff Fri 24-Jul-09 22:05:25

I love the idea of carpeted tents smile

I think that weekend camping is probably a bit different to week long stuff (have only done weekends) Decent sleeping bags a nice airbed and a reliable pump are make or breaks ime.

Psychobabble Fri 24-Jul-09 22:11:35

FlappyTheBat Fri 24-Jul-09 22:29:57

We've used our Monty for 1 night and as it's the only tent we have, frequently use it for a weekend camping trip.

Ok, half an hour to pitch, but that's not a lot out of a weekend.

Have seen a video on YouTube and it is possible to put it up in about 8 mins single handedly!!

I love my Monty 6, it is a really great tent and unless you are planning on camping at lots of festivals or wild camping where space is really restricted (we are planning on wild camping next year with ours) then I personally think it is a fantastic tent, I am biased though grin

mumshadenough Fri 24-Jul-09 22:31:58

Here's a real bargain that wont be around for long Outwell Michigan L It looks really good, within your budget at £199, big enough for 4, with a built in porch and a sig in the living area. If you dont like camping then you could always sell on, as outwells seem to hold a good price second hand.
Emma

NL3 Sat 25-Jul-09 08:45:23

Sorry to crash this thread.
We are also first-time campers and I thought we might purchase this tent, Vango Kura 800 . We are a family of six and it will be used for week-long trips rather than weekends.
Does anybody have any comments on this tent, or suggest another tent that might suit us?
Many Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now