(13 Posts)
BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 17:06:22

whats yer fave?

blowbroth Thu 23-Jul-09 17:35:50

Do you mean across the Channel?

snigger Thu 23-Jul-09 17:39:32

I've only done one.

Portsmouth/Caen.

Under no circumstances would I consider a league table.

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:26:52

SOrry yes. this year we are doing caen on the way out to cut off the dreaded cherbourg peninsula

blowbroth Thu 23-Jul-09 18:38:46

Caen't (sorry couldn't resist!) help you sorry. We've only done Dover/Calais route. Have a lovely holiday. smile

usernametaken Thu 23-Jul-09 18:44:15

Just been Portsmouth/LeHarve and back on LD Lines. Cheap and very basic. Cabin overnight didn't have a bathroom or toilet. We were heading to the Vendee so had 330miles to drive.
Normally we do Portsmouth/StMalo overnight and Caen return with Brittany Ferries- this is our prefered route but it costs a lot more.
Having puked my way back on the afternoon LD Lines ferry I vow never to do a day crossing again, we'll come back overnight in future as poor DD (age 4) had to amuse herself the whole crossing whilst I puked!

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:45:53

we dot he 7am OUT then the 20 30h home( gives you lots of time to hare up France)

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 23-Jul-09 18:57:28

Like the overnight Portsmouth-St Malo, which we're doing this year. Always feels exciting and a start to the holiday!

Going back via Caen though, which is a bit shit as it's a 16.30 crossing, so we won't get home till very late. But as we have to drive to the port from the Vendee it's the only one that makes sense.

I hate the catamaran - even if it is quick - people chucking up every where, although it was relatively calm. Will avoid that in the future.

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:59:39

I liked the overnight too but dh HATEd it and said he was more tired than if he had got up at 5 am, we are local to S coast though so tis only an hour to the ferry

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 23-Jul-09 19:01:55

Only time I hated the overnight was when I was pregnant, and then had terrible travel sickness.

This year we have two cabins, and DSs will be in their own. Positive luxury!

usernametaken Thu 23-Jul-09 19:35:00

The good thing about the St Malo crossing is that we can be down in the Vendee by lunch time. The negative side is the sailing time coming back from St Malo, so we do Caen as the next best option. We tend to spend most of the day ambling up the autoroute to get there.

BecauseImworthit- where in the Vendee are you heading?

TheOldGitInTheCorner Fri 24-Jul-09 09:18:49

Near St Gilles de Croix. Never been to that region before, so am looking forward to it!

TheOldGitInTheCorner Fri 24-Jul-09 09:19:30

(BIWI here - forgot I'd changed my name!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now