Talk

Advanced search

I am packing for my first weekend camp...it is never going in teh car...how much stuff do you take?

(31 Posts)
PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 13:51:01

ATM I have 3 holdalls full of clothes/towels/toiletries type stuff.

How much do you take for a W/E away camping for a family of 5 (in this weather). I need to rationalise [argggghhhhh]

DottyDot Thu 23-Jul-09 13:53:59

We're a family of four and went camping for 2 nights recently. We took one small suitcase - the kind you see commuters with at stations - wheeling around with a handle blush

We just packed 1 change of clothes each, 1 pair of pyjamas each, 2 towels between us, 1 jumper/warm top each and coats. Then a carrier bag with shoes - 1 pair of crocs each and 1 pair of trainers each.

We managed - I would have liked more variety if we had been away for longer, but for 2 - 3 days this was fine.

And we were able to use the suitcase thingy as a little seat for the boys! grin

1 towel each
1 bar of soap, one shampoo, one shower gel to share between everyone.

knickers/socks.
a pair of PJ's each
spare pair of trousers
1 fleece
1 waterproof
3 t-shirts
1 pair of shorts/cropped trousers
1 jumper
crocs/shower shoes

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 13:59:26

This is what I have for each of the kids

2 pairs of crops
2 pairs of shorts
3 T shirts
1 nice-ish top for meal out
2 swim-suits (beach hmm/pool)
1 PJs
1 snuggly tracksuit

For the adults

1 pair of crops
1 pair of long trousers
1 pair of shorts
3 daytime T shirts
2 niceish tops for meal out
PJs

no shoes yet hmm

I may have overdone the towels. I have 4 (total) for showers and 4 (total for beach/pool).

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 14:00:59

It doesn't sound like too much.

I thin it is the bulk. Towels, fleece nighties for DDs, trackshuits...

holdingittogether Thu 23-Jul-09 14:01:10

There are 5 of us too and we normally bring one large suitcase of clothes and towels for a weekend. I don't mind the kids being a bit grubby when camping so don't bring more than one set of clothes for each day. Jumpers can last more than one day in my book. Pick clothes that can be adapted to different weathers like trousers that roll up if you have them. With toiletries I bring minimum. Top to toe wash can be used by all to wash bodies and hair and hands, saves bringing lots of bottles. rain coats and warm pjs/tracksiuts to sleep in are a must.

We too are off camping this weekend, will go and consult my list......

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 14:03:46

TBH I think it would all easily go into a suitcase, cos it can be squished more.

but because of the storage space in the tent it will be easier to have it split between 2 holdalls.

holdingittogether Thu 23-Jul-09 14:03:51

Just seen your lists. Sounds reasonable tbh. have a good weekend!

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 14:04:15

DP is going to kill me when he gets in if I don't do something about it....

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 14:05:34

I can't beelieve all the other stuff in the conservatory too....tent, chairs, sleeping bags....fortunately we are taking 2 cars....but

<first camping trip BTW and it will be pouring downwith rain during the erection sad>

holdingittogether Thu 23-Jul-09 14:05:49

Could you leave suitcase in boot of car? Or would that be a pain? Probably would be.

holdingittogether Thu 23-Jul-09 14:06:56

put dcs in car and then load round them grin

Washersaurus Thu 23-Jul-09 14:08:47

Get a roof box grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 23-Jul-09 14:48:00

Am feeling very very smug cos I've done my best pack ever today Tis for 2 weeks and dh can see out of the rear window without any obstruction. No scary overpacking in passenger part of car either.

Under the wheel cover (lies flat on boot floor) I have got our table, towels and 2 fleeces.

Then I opened up our sleeping bags and laid them over the boot of the car.

Camping bits and bobs have fitted into 3 crates that line up at the back of boot. Then our v.bulky tent which takes up much of the rest. Folding chairs have fitted on top of crates. dds holdall fits between tent and wall of car.

I have filled every space with bits (so loo roll etc fits inside our loo bucket. Things that come in packages have been taken out of packages.

Two holdalls have had to go in car. One fits in footwell. Other is strapped firmly into seat. dd has rucksack in her foot well 3 pillows and my rucksack to go in.

Mind you, I shouldnt really feel smug, we have an estate and theres only 3 of us grin If we had another child (or 2!) we would either need to use our smaller tent or get a roofbox.

perhaps take out the towels and lay over boot under the tent, sleeping bags too?

Washersaurus Thu 23-Jul-09 14:52:02

Actually that is a good point BadKitten, we never pack blankets and towels in holdalls, we sort of fit them in wherever we can once car loading commences.

Too late for this time but microfibre towels would make a huge difference, I only take 2 bath and 1 hand towel for 4 of us for a week, I also pack a sarong that we can sit on or dry off with on the beach, both sarong and mf towels dry really quickly.

You are taking a huge amount of towels for a weekend imogrin.

Also your clothes list is exactly what I would take for a week with the addition of 2 pairs of pjs each for the kids and enormous jumpers and waterproofs all round.

So you may have overpacked there too.

1 pairs of crops
1 pairs of shorts
2 T shirts
1 swim-suit
1 PJs
1 snuggly tracksuit

For the adults

1 pair of crops or shorts
1 pair of long trousers
2 daytime T shirts
1 niceish tops for meal out
PJs

I would cut it down to the above, lose lots of towels, add jumpers and waterproofs.

Donegrin

Lilyloo Thu 23-Jul-09 15:06:18

We recently took two shower towels , a hand towel and teatowel for 5 of us for 3 days.
Just took pegs and dried towels on guy ropes!

Take lot's of socks and shorts rather than trousers.
Waterproofs and warm jumpers.

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 15:18:07

Ok.

I have ratioalised the towels

I now have 2 small and thin beach towels
DTDs each have 1 each towel to share between pool and shower
DD and I will share 1 towel
DP gets 1 towel

So I make that 6 towels now...(and the hand towel = couple of tea towels

DTDs have their snugly tracksuit which has very think tops. DD3 has a cardi and DP and I will take fleeces instead of coats.

Must remember waterproofs.

and a roll of loo paper.

MollieO Thu 23-Jul-09 16:12:01

OYBBK what is a 'loo bucket'? Am keen to work out toileting for when I take ds camping. I worry about being caught short in the night!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 23-Jul-09 16:15:49

We use one of those little lidded rectangular kitchen compost bins for those nights when the loos are millions of miles away or if I turn fraidy cat when theres drunk people partying and I need the loo. It fits very nicely in my backpack for discrete transport to the loos or chem waste point.

MollieO Thu 23-Jul-09 16:17:29

What a good idea. I was thinking of taking a nappy bucket but they are huge (although would match the size of my bottom!).

Looster Thu 23-Jul-09 16:53:06

also packing for this weekend - we have a grand scenic which has an enormous amount of room and still I have no idea how i am going to fit in all the malarkey i have gathered!! haven't even started packing on clothes yet!! wondering what time i can put pesky toddler to bed so I can finish off. she is normally in bed and wiped out by 6 (she is v hectic) but wondering if I can pack her off in the next ten minutes!?

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 17:27:37

I am putting in DDs potty - although she mostly uses the toilet these days. SIL has made do with it for camping so I am sure I will too grin.

Loo roll in...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now