Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Hollands Wood? Few questions!

(10 Posts)
Looster Mon 20-Jul-09 21:00:32

Hi - off to Hollands Wood, New Forest this weekend, got a few questions! First trip with DCs! Have huge list of things to pack, but still feel woefully underprepared. Possibly because haven't started packing huge list of things...

- What is the ground like? Have just bought new tent (vango tigris) but rumour has it the tent pegs are a bit rubbish. Is the ground at Hollands Wood particularly rocky?

- Can anyone recommend a beach within fairly easy driving distance? Good for 5 year olds and 1 year olds.

- Is there a supermarket nearby?

- Any tips on where to pitch?

- Is it particularly exposed/windy - do I need a windbreak?

ummm, that's it for the moment. any other tips welcomed

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 20-Jul-09 21:12:01

Not really rocky - lots of tree roots though.

As you drive in on the right is a huge (non camping) field where the ponies all gather. On the left its closer to the road but not quite so busy with tents. In the evening the ponies come out of the woods silently at dusk. Its magical.

Don't leave food out, the ponies will get it and will not hesitate to walk into an open tent.

Don't be surprised at maurading cattle as well. can be a bit unnerving to hear 'moooooooooo' right next to your tent in the middle of the night.

Easy to get lost coming back from loo at night. I know attach my back light from my bike which flashes red to the guyropes (in a nice non obtrusive way)

Brockenhurst is in walking distance. Small supermarkets there, can get most of what you need.

Theres a bus outside that goes to Lymmington. Not a beach as such, but fab for crabbing.

Fires are a big no but bbqs ok.

Despite it getting pretty busy it is one of my favourite campsites because it is just so magical

Looster Mon 20-Jul-09 21:34:56

the ponies sound lovely, it's the reason we picked it. thanks for tip about bike light, will add that to the endless list! love crabbing, thanks for tip about Lymmington. remember enjoying it as a child even if it was fairly ropey weather.

can you keep the car next to the tent? could keep food in there i suppose to avoid tempting ponies?

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 20-Jul-09 21:45:58

Usually the car can g next to the tent but cos you can pick your spot between trees you can't always get your car in. (but can keep it near) we keep food in the car. If ponies do nick off with say a bag of marshmallows (ahem) easiest way to get it back is to chuck them an apple we found. They seem to know about healthy eating grin

You can keep the car next to the tent. We didn't have a proble with ponies nicking the food but squirrels (no SIG) in the middle of the night. Scared me to death!

Looster Mon 20-Jul-09 21:53:39

oooo - squirrels are bit like rodents with large tails shock. big phobia, v glad have SIG now!!

will keep food in car definitely now!

anyone arrived on a Friday? we are going to leave about 9 on Friday morning, should be there by 11. what are the chances of being able to pitch 3 tents near each other? the campsite said no problem if we could find pitches together - but is that likely?

thanks for responses!

scrappydappydoo Mon 20-Jul-09 22:07:39

We went a few weeks ago - ponies can be problem but if spray/throw water at them they will go away.
Should be able to pitch 3 tents together - there is the space. Its not exposed or windy - it is literally in a wood
There's a tesco express in brockenhurst and small local shops.
Don't know about about the beaches sorry...
It's a lovely site - I'm sure you'll have a fab time

Looster Mon 20-Jul-09 22:13:29

Thank you - looking forward to it. shower forecast for friday but sun for sat and sun

usernametaken Tue 21-Jul-09 10:53:07

I wrote this a few weeks ago about our trip to HW...

We've just got back from Holland's Wood.

My first impressions of the campsite were not good. It just seemed huge and cramped with far too many people. We found a pitch right at the far end of the campsite where it was much quieter...and we loved it!

DD got to ride her bike (and managed to get herself lost), she could ride into the forest, run into the forest and explore the woods. She was in her element.

The toilet/washing/dish washing facilities were excellent considering the amount of campers there. We only had a 2minute walk to our nearest block...not a problem at all.

The wild ponies made themselves known and DH had to wrestle his breakfast from a very confident horse- we learnt from a ranger that flicking water at them drives them off...we wish we'd known that when we'd arrived as DH was hassled for 20mins before a ranger came! I was too busy taking photos of him to help! lol

We don't have a dog but we noticed dogs of all sizes there, plus wild ponies, squirrels and cows!

Take a mallet for banging in tent pegs as the ground can be quite hard in places.

So overall, a lovely campsite in a fantastic location with clean facilities and hot water! It is very family orientated, clean and basic. We will be back!

Looster Thu 23-Jul-09 11:15:11

thanks for tips! have packed a water spray bottle so that am ready armed for cheeky ponies!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now