Talk

Advanced search

Packing: We're camping for two weeks. Do I pack 2 weeks worth of clothes or one weeks worth and find a launderette?

(15 Posts)
TsarChasm Sun 19-Jul-09 17:05:26

Help!

There's 5 of us too, so two weeks worth of clothes is....A LOT.

This is the longest we'll have been camping before, so I'm not sure. Max has been 10 days prior to this and the memory of the dirty clothes bags when we got home still gives me the shakes..

hercules1 Sun 19-Jul-09 17:12:12

You need to be brave and wear your clothes for more days than you would normally.

PfftTheMagicDragon Sun 19-Jul-09 17:15:27

hhahaha! give it a few more camping trips and you'll only be taking one set of clothes for the whole trip grin

hercules1 Sun 19-Jul-09 17:17:10

I have a great pair of "camping" trousers that dry really quickly if gotten wet in the rain - some sort of outdoorsy ones. I wear them a lot....

geogteach Sun 19-Jul-09 17:17:45

Wash while you are there. A perfect excuse for a couple of hours to yourself while you read a book and 'mind' the washing machine!

TsarChasm Sun 19-Jul-09 19:17:02

I think I'll find somewhere to do some washing. We've been camping quite a bit so I know what to expect but the thought of two weeks worth of dirty camping clothes is so depressing.

We do stretch things out and recycle clothes for a few wears, but three dc still need quite a few clothes I find.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 19-Jul-09 21:57:33

washing clothes is fab cos you can pretend its all a chore but you are going to volunteer to do it while your dh relaxes with the kids at the tent. And then take a book. Two hours of peace!

snickersnack Sun 19-Jul-09 22:08:56

I find coming home to bag after bag of filthy washing way more depressing than doing a load or two half way through the holiday...halve the amount, and take a good book!

gigglewitch Sun 19-Jul-09 22:10:53

we always go for the pack-a-weeks-worth-and-wash theory!
Plan falls flat with ds2 being a muck-magnet and we still have to take twice as much stuff for him - oh and wash it all too grin

bunnyrabbit Mon 20-Jul-09 09:05:24

Find a launderaette - see if they do service washes!

RubberDuck Mon 20-Jul-09 09:16:43

We do washing while we're there. It's not choreish when you're on holiday - we normally get it done before we'd go out for the day anyway, then just hang it up in the awning.

No massive loads to do when you get home, and you can get away with packing much less.

Plus, we usually end up having to do SOME washing anyway as you can guarantee one child wetting their bed at least one night on the trip <sigh>

springlamb Mon 20-Jul-09 09:25:24

Try to find a local launderette if you can rather than use the machines on site. They can work out quite expensive.
Take a piece of clothes line or something, the dryer will be a coin-guzzler.
Take dark clothes.
Some Febreze or something to freshen things up without washing them.
Really look at clothes before deciding if they need washing - could you get by with just spot-washing that mark and hanging to dry.
But I agree - if you have to go to the on-site launderette, take your book and a cup of coffee. It's always lovely and warm in there and it smells nice, I always fall asleep.

Dineysor Mon 20-Jul-09 09:25:57

oh it really is UP TO YOU!¬

TsarChasm Mon 20-Jul-09 10:23:44

Thanks Diney. YES I KNOW!

Just asking for some feedback from fellow campers - for which I'm grateful. Thanks everyone.

3rdnparty Mon 20-Jul-09 20:01:50

i do a wash at launderette half way through... not on site generally cheaper/better places for coffee &/or shopping elsewhere and then treat smile oursleves to a service wash at teh end so come back with nearly all clean and generally folded neatly which makes it easier to pack at the end of the trip..and dont have the hideous loads of wash when get home and theres only 3 of us grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now