Talk

Advanced search

Rain, rain, rain.. changing my mind about camping!!!

(6 Posts)
debs40 Sun 19-Jul-09 00:32:11

We camped with the kids (6 and 3)for the first time last year.

Cornwall. In the rain for ten days. Rained every day. Tent withstood it all but we had trouble getting clothes washed and dried. Eating out with stressed out kids. Fun but tiring.

This year's weather seems an exact repeat of last year's. Weather forecast is rain all week. It rained all this week. We are due to camp in Cornwall again for ten days from 29th and I'm having second thoughts.

Anyone else thinking this summer is another washout?

hmc Sun 19-Jul-09 00:40:00

Where are you? I'm on South Coast. It has been warm and showery all week. One heavy downpour this week for all of....ooh...15 minutes? Otherwise intermittent light showers. I was walking the dogs today during one shower (without a coat) - wouldn't even classify myself as wet afterwards - perhaps bordering on slightly damp. Not sufficient to put me off camping

lowrib Sun 19-Jul-09 00:45:43

I was on holiday in the West of Scotland last week. Weather forecast was rain rain rain. I am now sitting here with a tan, it was glorious.

My experience of Cornwall is it can be 4 seasons in a day.

Personally I'd go for it, but I like to live dangerously!

Have you got any other options?

debs40 Sun 19-Jul-09 09:43:17

We are in Wiltshire and it has been pretty much consistent rain all week - sometimes very heavy. I did a 5 min walk to pick up DS from school and we were both so soaked we had to change when we got in. Not a bit of sunshine of any type to be found! Can't cut the grass or even have a dry run putting the tent up. It's muddy underfoot. it's been like this for at least a week

Last year in Cornwall we had this weather. Each and every day the forecast promised a break in the clouds. We had torrential downpours. The site turned into a mudbath and people just left.

We were one of the last tents there. We put up the tent in a blustery downpour and ten days later took it down in the same conditions

So, I'm not being wimpy! A couple of showers would not put me off but getting washed out is a different matter!

lowrib Sun 19-Jul-09 15:40:01

Sounds dreadful!
What would you instead do if you didn't go?

debs40 Sun 19-Jul-09 16:20:03

I'm desperately looking for a cottage - any ideas???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now