Talk

Advanced search

how much wind & rain can our OUTWELL tent take? we are on top of a hill in Cornwall and it is

(33 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 15:32:08

bending and creaking beyond belief

It is a sunvalley 6 OUTWELL tent of the tunnel variety

What would you do? let it bend and creak and squeak or try to take it down and go home

It is about a 4 hour journey and we have another campsite booked for next Thursday in Wiltshire on our way home

When it was pouring with rain we did get some coming in as a mist

It has 5000 water protection thingy

Thanks

xxx

PS this is our 1st camping trip in a tent

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Fri 17-Jul-09 15:37:13

whats on telly with you? grin

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:40:28

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 15:44:26

here is a photo ofour tent

The TV is off atm did watch the final THIS MORNING with Phil and Fern this morning and Doctors at lunchtime gringringrin

But this creaking and bending is really loud and kind of frightening

Is the tent going to be ok?

What would you guys do?

RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 15:48:54

I have a new toy of a notebook that DH got me for my birthday and a VODAPHONE 3G dongle

I said to DH and DS that Mumsnet should decide as it was the power and knowledge of you guys that got us a 5000 tent when the guy in the 1st shop said all we needed was a 3000 for the country well that is what the toilet tent is and that was soaked this morning so MUMSNET was right and so deffo brill with the knowledge that I said we would ask again

Thanks hope it will be ok it is just bending and creaking so much

At least the sun has come out now so we are drying off a bit

smile

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 15:50:59

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 16:02:39

Thanks

Is the tent ok to be creaking and moving so much?

JHKE Fri 17-Jul-09 16:07:17

We were in Devon last year for a week and it rained pretty much the whole week. We have an outwell and it stood the rain very well, nothing came through apart from a little condensation.

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:08:18

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 16:30:11

yes every guy rope is pegged

should the guys be really really tight or have some slack in them?

RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 16:32:42

Thanks the rain didn't come through just some sort of mist came from the roof when is was really really raingin hard and windy

we seem also to have sometimes a drip at the top of one of the windows

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:38:08

Message withdrawn

FlappyTheBat Fri 17-Jul-09 16:38:13

I would stick it out, especially if the weather is going to improve as you don't really want to be packing up a wet tent if you don't think you'll be able to get it dry before the next trip.

We have an Outwell too, also a tunnel tent and have our guy ropes pretty taught all the time, so although it has creaked when windy, it doesn't flap.
Have camped in some pretty heavy rain and haven't had any come through the material or seams.

hope the weather improves for you soon!

RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 16:46:26

oke doke thanks

we have them tight but quite close to the tent so I will get DH to lengthen them

Is that to their full length?

The weather is sunny but very very windy and we are on top of a hill

At least we now have all the coats, towels, trousers, trainers dry

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 16:47:38

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 18:25:36

Thanks guys you have been deffo brill

gringringrin

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 18:31:03

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 19:34:49

yes thanks

DH tightened all the guy ropes and then we couldn't shut the door so he had to loosen them again then shut the door and tighten up again

grin

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 17-Jul-09 19:36:37

Ours stood some heavy weather last year SV8)n on a coastal site, the Khyam the year before withstood a tornado that carried many tents and a alrge grill away!!!!!!!!

I woudln't worry, creaking is it flexing in wind. I always <<eeeeek>> and Dh always laughs at me

RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 19:46:47

Thnaks

I have told DH and DS that MN say that it is ok

smile

I just wished I had realised what hilltopped meant on the adverts ie windy blush

Do you think there is any chance of it blowing down or the poles or guys breaking?

sad

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 19:54:24

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 20:04:52

sorry you are ill sad

Thanks for all your help

DH says about force 5 so yes IMHO it is windy but not gales

you guys are all deffo brill

THANKS

smilesmilesmile

snorkle Fri 17-Jul-09 20:08:05

were you there on Tuesday night? Very big storm near Penzance then. Our neighbours campervan awning broke as did another tent and a Yurt where we were camping. But I don't think the wind is supposed to be quite as bad today, so if your tent survived Tuesday night I'm sure it will be OK today (we are home now though, so easy to say that).

Good advice though is don't go to the pub & leave your tent to the elements - stay in it so you are on hand to notice if the wind gets worse. Lots of guys & it should be OK. Park the car on the windward side of the tent & if you have a windbreak put that up too to provide as much protection as you can.

FlappyTheBat Fri 17-Jul-09 20:09:54

Have a nice mug of coffee/hot chocolate or bottle of beer/wine and enjoy - best bit about camping imvho grin and try and ignore the weather outside!

snorkle Fri 17-Jul-09 20:11:38

Tuesday night was about force 8 allegedly, but only that strong for about an hour which I spent holding the porch poles in place.

I reckon force 5 should be OK RTKM - tents can creak & groan & flap very alarmingly without coming close to collapsing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now