Talk

Advanced search

Camping this weekend in the rain. I don't want to go :-(

(15 Posts)
Overmydeadbody Fri 17-Jul-09 13:07:40

Have been looking forward to this for ages, we're going to portland for a weekend of climbing, but I don't want to go in this weather!

Am I mad to cancel? Should I go anyway? I need help making a decision...

Reasons I'm put off going:

1. it's a 3.5 hr drive

2. It will cost about £40

3. You can't climb in the rain or if the crags are wet

4. I can't find my waterproof trousers

So it could be an entirely wasted journey.

But it might not rain tomorrow or sunday, there might only be a few showers and the rock might dry up quickly.

What should I do? <<dithers>>

Slubberdegullion Fri 17-Jul-09 13:10:35

OK you need to look at met check, bbc weather and the met office. If they are all predicting proper rain and not little showers then stay at home.

Where did you last see your trousers?
grin

We are going tomorrow the forecast is mixed but we ain't climbing no mountains. Oh no siree.

iheartdusty Fri 17-Jul-09 13:13:06

can you go somewhere closer to home, and do portland another time?

and your waterproof trousers may be down the side of the chair in the bedroom or in the bottom of the bag you took last time?

Overmydeadbody Fri 17-Jul-09 13:20:04

Ok, have checkad all threaa and they are consistantly predicting rain from 1pm on sat until the end of sunday.

Bummer.

Checked behind the chair in the bedroom and in the pockets of my rucksack for trousers, no luck.

I last had them at a campsite in the peak district three weeks ago. I have a feeling they may be at my parent's house as I did my washing there after last trip.

<<sigh>>

Overmydeadbody Fri 17-Jul-09 13:21:11

iheartdusty closest climbing to me is either Kent (rain all weekend) or southern peak district (rain all weekend)

What a washout.

Slubberdegullion Fri 17-Jul-09 13:55:56

sad oh that's a shame.

Slubberdegullion Fri 17-Jul-09 13:57:00

<brightens>

You could go camping kit shopping instead, get yourself a nice tent wardrobe and matching fruit bowl smile

GIvePeasAChance Fri 17-Jul-09 13:58:24

I would definitely cancel and not feel in the bad in the slightest. Camping is miserable in the rain. As is climbing. No brainer.

Overmydeadbody Fri 17-Jul-09 16:56:55

I'm not going.

<<sigh>>

Slubber I may just do that, I need a new tent.

Everyone else in the group is going, but none of them have kids, they don't seem to understand that with DS it's much harder for me if it rains all weekend than it is for all of them. Oh well. When they are miserable and wet and stuck in their tents instead of climbing they'll realise why I pulled out.

Slubberdegullion Fri 17-Jul-09 17:05:41

Too right.

I think you need a new tent too. A bigger one. One that you don't have to lie down to put your pants on in. gwan gwan gwan

Overmydeadbody Fri 17-Jul-09 18:38:45

lol

Slubber I have been drooling over tents for the last two hours.

I am definately veering towards the larger ones lol

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Fri 17-Jul-09 18:39:57

oooooo whatya looking at ?

minko Fri 17-Jul-09 18:49:16

As an ex-climber, I'd say stay at home! The weather isn't warm, the rock will stay damp and slimey for ages. Sitting in a tent in the rain all day is v. boring. And in my experience, climbers are pretty determined and unlikely to pack up and head to the pub!

Overmydeadbody Fri 17-Jul-09 19:44:18

you are right minko. I feel better now, warm and dry at home!

Nappy I have actually found a <<whispers>> pink and grey tent that I am coveting, purely on the colour blush

Would a pink tent be very bad?

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Sat 18-Jul-09 16:46:04

yes that is wrong - pink will attract a swarm of midgies much in the way my bright orange and grey super duper thrown in the air and pitch tent does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now