Talk

Advanced search

Good family sites in the Lake District??

(8 Posts)
sammyjayne Thu 16-Jul-09 18:52:21

I haven't posted on here before but we are about to give family camping a try and thought someone might be able to help. We live in West Yorkshire and plan to go for a couple of nights midweek in August to The Lakes.

Can anyone recommend to me a good site with good clean facilities? I would like somewhere that has a childrens playground or something for them to do (I have 2 1/2 year old twins) but don't want a big caravan park with clubs and pools etc.

My other question is that a lot of the nice looking sites don't seem to allow you to book in advance and I am wary of getting somewhere and not getting in. What are the chances of this if we are going midweek? Is it worth ringing them before to see if they are already full and know no-one is leaving that day iyswim. If they have some spaces when you ring what time do you think we would need to be there to get a pitch?

Sorry for the long post!!

roisin Thu 16-Jul-09 19:24:47

we like this one near Wastwater

The children's playground is very small, but there is woodland they can run off and explore.

Apart from the NT sites and Fisherground most of the campsites in the lakes will allow you to book a pitch. In August I would definitely recommend booking one in advance, because if it's nice it can get very busy.

There's a site at Coniston which goes right down to the lake, which is fun, but maybe a bit of a liability with toddlers.

Is it Low Wray that has a no cars on site policy. This is a pain when you arrive and have to cart all your stuff, (unless you have a suitably sized trailer you can pull by hand). But it does create a great, peaceful setting, where there's no worries about kids running around and cars.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Thu 16-Jul-09 19:38:18

Lowther park is supposed to be really nice and we are hoping to go in august sometime. Fisherground site is really lovely but i dont remember the loos beign that pristine. Limefitt outside of Widnermere has lovely loos and even hairdryers...... it also has a pub and a play area but is fairly quiet.

lulu2 Thu 16-Jul-09 20:08:21

i just looked at Limefitt and it says from this year they are no longer accepting tents.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Thu 16-Jul-09 20:14:28

really? miserable blighters - it was mainly tents last tim ei was there ermmm 5 years ago! ama bit gutted about that tbh.

Knakard Thu 16-Jul-09 20:20:34

Theres a lovely one at great Langdale. Great facilities loads to do and local amenities!

sammyjayne Sat 18-Jul-09 10:18:15

Any other suggestions anyone?

bigTillyMint Sat 18-Jul-09 12:14:24

That's a shame about Limefitt - we also went there about 5 years ago and it was lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now