Talk

Advanced search

Isle of Purbeck, Dorset anyone camped/been/live there?

(16 Posts)
supersalstrawberry Tue 14-Jul-09 22:34:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jux Tue 14-Jul-09 23:12:04

There's a campsite near Harman's Cross between Corfe Castle (well worth a visit, as is Corfe) and Swanage.

There used to be a Blues Festival in Swanage but the local Council put an end to it, so we don't go any more, but you can go crabbing on the beach, lots of rock pools etc.

There's the Steam train which runs regularly between Swanage and Corfe.

Studland Bay is a good beach.

DH always makes some silly joke about Langton Matravers when we drive by but it isn't really something to do - except to bash him over the head for me.

There's a good fish'n'chip shop on the prom in Swanage.

You might keep an eye out for sFIL's mother's hat which was blown off in the Dark Ages and is undoubtedly floating about in the sea somewhere there.

Sorry I can't remember more, but we were always at the Blues Fest and I was generally pickled.

snowybun Tue 14-Jul-09 23:19:25

There are quite a few campsites herston yards is popular ulwell cottage another they are in swanage. There is a nice site in wareham forest can't remember the name.
If you are staying in August there are firework displays every saturday night on swanage seafront.
25th july- 1st August is the carnival and regatta week very busy but lots going on.
If you like walking there is durlston country park where you might see dolphins.

There are a couple of farm parks putlake and farmer palmers, the tank museum, monkey world.

Glitterknickaz Wed 15-Jul-09 00:26:57

I'm off to Norden Farm (near Corfe Castle) a week on Saturday. Will be going to the Carnival.

So excited.

Herston is ok, has quite a noisy clubhouse and is relatively expensive.

Toms Field is good but very, very basic.

Haywire Wed 15-Jul-09 13:52:27

Have lived/camped and been there.

Toms field is lovely great location but gets v.v. busy these days so may be hard to get a pitch. short walk to pub in Langton and practically on coast path

Must go to the Square and Compass pub in Worth Matravers has been in same family 100 years totally unspoilt they have the Square fair in August a Stone carving festival/fete/music/mad puppet show is best pub in world. sometimes they have camping in field nearby. not far from Toms field

Swanage Carnival is aces for kids loads of fun events. The kids donkey race is a sight to behold health and safety nightmare can't believe they still do it.

There is a great chocolate shop in Swanage Chococo yum.

Studland is a lovely beach we like the shell bay end other side of Nudist bit near Ferry.Shop in Studland village sells great pasties/cakes for picnic.

Steam train to Corfe lovely ride perfect for train mad kids. Monkey world also good. loads of lovely walks reccommend from Square and Compass to Chapmans pool a secluded sheleterd pebbly beach great for swimming but walk is steep (not for littlies).

Basically is loads to do and also tends to have its own micro-climate weather is not always as predicted.

supersalstrawberry Wed 15-Jul-09 18:11:48

supersalstrawberry Thu 16-Jul-09 16:54:13

supersalstrawberry Thu 16-Jul-09 16:54:56

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 16-Jul-09 16:56:45

Woodyhyde campsite is right next to the steam railway line. Is v nice. You can lie outside and wave to the trains.

Lovely walk over the common to Corfe.

Studland beach is beautiful. watch out for naturists though.

Ladygooga Thu 16-Jul-09 17:00:58

There is also a nice campsite just up the road from Woody Hyde and I can't remember what its called now but is lovely, quite basic but lovely view over the castle and railway. Also has a van come every morning with bread milk etc.

Oh a gorgeous chip shop in Swanage, mmmmm!

supersalstrawberry Thu 16-Jul-09 17:35:57

supersalstrawberry Thu 16-Jul-09 17:36:35

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 16-Jul-09 20:21:37

t is quite basic but loos and showers were clean and the views were fabulous.

read another review which said chap in the shop was grumpy but he was fine when we were there. didn't buy anything from him, just paid for site.

Overmydeadbody Thu 16-Jul-09 20:31:57

I thought Woody Hyde campsite was fine, lota of loos and showers but washing up facilities very basic and minimal, queues to wash up where longer than queues for showers.

It was great for kids though, everyone was really friendly and all the kids played together all evening when I last stayed there.

I'd recommend it.

I prefer Tom's Field personally, but only coz I'm a climber.

supersalstrawberry Thu 16-Jul-09 21:25:33

verygreenlawn Sun 19-Jul-09 00:04:14

DH has never forgiven me for Toms Field 1992. He'd never been camping before .... it rained ... and rained ... and rained.

Only now in 2009 have I finally persuaded him to go camping again - on condition it's nowhere near Toms Field. Has it changed or is it still all spiders in the showers and waspy bins?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now