Talk

Advanced search

Please can everyone tell me their kitchen/cooking/stove set up?

(26 Posts)
flamingobingo Tue 14-Jul-09 07:55:57

I'm planning my Christmas presents grin and can't decide on whether I want a stove with legs or a little table for the stove and another one for food preparation, or an all-in-one kitchen thingy or a larder or what!

Four DCs btw!

Tell me what works for you and why - with lovely links that I can drool over look at.

troutpout Tue 14-Jul-09 09:11:56

I've got a single stand larder kitchen thingy with it's own little wind barrier on the top . My stove sits on the top.
I really like the design but wouldn't recommend my particular model (argos) because it's poorly made and we had to replace the shelves after one trip.
When it knackers (soon i imagine) I'll look for something the same but better made. Outwell do one that i saw recently.

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 10:04:02

Message withdrawn

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 17-Jul-09 10:08:05

aluminium table that does for everything

cobb that runs off cocont cobblestones

single burner for kettle / frying pan

four dc's here also, first time we camped we had 3 dc's and a single burner was fine (lots of pasta and sauce type meals, omelettes etc)

paisleyleaf Fri 17-Jul-09 10:15:41

I've got a 2 ring stove with grill
but am tempted by these ovens for it

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 10:56:45

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 10:57:28

Message withdrawn

paisleyleaf Fri 17-Jul-09 12:09:53

I see what you mean! - I'd not looked around that site (was just looking for a pic of the sort of oven I was thinking of).
We have LPG gas at home so quite used to it....but must admit I don't like driving with it....it does feel like carrying a bomb.
Trangia's look good.....would they take the same fuel as parafin lamps?
If we ever used electric hook up, I'd be tempted to take my slow cooker tbh.....nice for cold/rainy days.

bunnyrabbit Fri 17-Jul-09 12:21:19

Stove is like this onethis one

Kitchen stand is similar to this one but without the parder bit (mm wonder if I can convince DH I need a larder??)

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 12:31:03

Message withdrawn

Slubberdegullion Fri 17-Jul-09 12:59:36

<pauses in my camping packing for a quick lemsip and mn>

We have:

2 burner camping gaz stove (that came with legs and shelvy bits but it's a giant pita to construct and a bit wobbly for my liking)

that goes on

new 'american style' hmm camp kitchen table thing that is big and hefty and won't fall over if the dds run into it. Has a sturdy shelf and hooks. Am v excited.

Roll up table thing (can't decide to take it or not)

Various boxes, some with lids, some collapsible containing food and cooking and spare guys etc.

New lush Cobb (yay oh yay)

All this goes in the utility tent grin.

Overmydeadbody Fri 17-Jul-09 13:02:09

I have a campingaz stove on the ground, or a trangia on the ground. When 'm not cooking it gets put away.

Nice and simple.

Slubberdegullion Fri 17-Jul-09 13:04:20

utility tent

stove, but we don't have the grill as I can't be doing with fart arsing about with toast on holiday

table

cobb

[link swot]

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 17-Jul-09 13:05:32

1 Trangia with gas adapter (Coleman)
1 v small folding burner (Camping gas)

Seems to suit us because the Trang is safer and stays alight better in bad weather than the little burner, but the little one is a better shape for frying and fits a Gelert toaster.

Riven doesn't it take forever to cook with meths? Or are you so chilled when camping you don't mind?

bunnyrabbit Fri 17-Jul-09 13:09:41

Slubber, cobb link doesn't work!!

Oooh liking the american kitchen thingy...

Riven do you burn the meths or consume it???

Slubberdegullion Fri 17-Jul-09 13:11:56

alternative cobb link

melrose Fri 17-Jul-09 13:12:39

2 burner campigaz stove with grill (although the griallis a waste of space IMO)

Roayal kitchen with larder underneath. Utterly fab, as can keep all crocks , pans and food zipped away underneath, better than cheaperr ones which can be a bit top heavy and unstable

+ fab foldinf BBQ from IEOOT for most eve meals

bunnyrabbit Fri 17-Jul-09 13:31:15

OMG I WANT A COBB!

Never seen these beofre. Can you use it inside?

Slubberdegullion Fri 17-Jul-09 13:42:18

nope. It says not to. i guess carbon monoxide fumes. You'll be neading to read the (lengthy) cobb thread.

Slubberdegullion Fri 17-Jul-09 13:43:17

here

sarah293 Fri 17-Jul-09 13:48:12

Message withdrawn

bunnyrabbit Fri 17-Jul-09 14:35:52

Drrrooolllll

FlamingoOfTheShineyCult Fri 17-Jul-09 15:41:27

Thank you all! smile

Do those of you with fancy table/larder thingies bring it all into the tent at night/when you go out?

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 17-Jul-09 15:44:32

I have a Cobb question which I didn't see an answer to in the other thread.

If you cook sausages etc on a Cobb, do they come out excitingly smokey and crunchy and barbequed tasting? Or do they end up just the way they would if you cooked them on the grill at home? Because I keep seeing the Cobb's smokelessness praised - does that just mean it doesn't stink out the rest of the campsite, or does it mean the food isn't smokey either?

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 17-Jul-09 18:22:36

kathy- they come out normal unless you use the smoke chips which are easily found including on the cobb website, in which case you get the smokiness

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now