Talk

Advanced search

we may actually finally be going camping THIS YEAR! but i need your help!

(17 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Mon 13-Jul-09 11:49:14

So we bought a mahoosive tent 1.5 ish years ago, not even unzipped the bugger yet!!

decided that we will get 2 3 man pop up tents for the first few times we go so that we don't struggle for hours having the thing fall down around us as we chase the DCs around fields! Also, if we went with the DCs on our own then the big is a tad excessive!

ANywho ....

We want to visit BIL and his GF in Oxford in August and thought camping would be cheaper. DH would also like to go somewhere where there is a climbing wall or somewhere to climb (amateur like)
the site needs to be child friendly and be the kind of place where we as first timers won't be laughed at and ppl will be kind to us!!

Does such a place exist?!

Slubberdegullion Mon 13-Jul-09 11:57:04

Can't help on the site recommendation sorry.

OMDB is the resident camping & climbing combo expert, she may have some ideas.

Why not just take the giant tent and camp in that? Why did you buy a mofo tent and then not use it? I am intrigued. Why not do a quick practice pitch first at home (or in local park) and then do it for real at the campsite. Most campers are friendly sorts and will come and lend a hand if you are struggling.

Wonderstuff Mon 13-Jul-09 12:02:29

Take the giant tent, 2 man ones are really small. What tent do you have? They are generally pretty straightforward to put up. How old are your dc's?

I've never been to a site that wasn't friendly tbh. But don't know any in the area you want sorry.

MerlinsBeard Mon 13-Jul-09 12:02:54

lol @ mofo tent!!

We bought it in a sale at Millets and then it pissed it down every day after that, we were moving house last year and we didn't get chance to go with DS3 being so tiny. We will use the big one but if it's going to take hours to put up, its going to be far too stressful!!

MerlinsBeard Mon 13-Jul-09 12:04:47

we were looking at 2 three man tents.thinking that they will be up in seconds and we can just squash them in the boot if we can't get them down properly!!

we have this one

Wonderstuff Mon 13-Jul-09 12:06:41

So I guess it is a eurohike one? Shouldn't be too bad. Could you do a trial run in the garden before you go? Always easier to put a tent up second time round.

Wonderstuff Mon 13-Jul-09 12:11:27

Looks lovely, being able to stand up in the middle will be good and if it rains or is a bit cold having the central bit to sit in will be really useful.

In the bag there will be instructions to get it up and put it away properly.

MerlinsBeard Mon 13-Jul-09 12:13:37

will try and get it up and see how quickly we can do it ourselves and then if it can be done with one of us while the other one chases after the DCs collects firewood explores the surrounding area.

Am a bit blush that i didn't think of putting it up in the gardenblushblush

Slubberdegullion Mon 13-Jul-09 12:14:55

Oh that's not too bad grin

The first time is always the hardest. Can you not give the dcs to someone for the afternoon and do a parctice run first. It will be fresh in your mind for when you do it properly.

How long to pitch a tent like that....? I dunno, an hour tops I should think. probably much less if you have it down to a military operation where someone is pegger-innerer and the other person is giving precise military like orders.

Best if someone is in charge and the other is the underling and shouter at the children. Saves on marital strife ime.

MerlinsBeard Mon 13-Jul-09 12:14:55

oh and our camping stove takes a gas bottle which costs a fortune, can anyone recommend one that uses easily obtainable fuel that isn't massively expensive and will mean we don't have to think of 1 pan meals?

Am all for camping but i actually want to like it too!

MerlinsBeard Mon 13-Jul-09 12:16:10

lol @ not too bad

I know eurohike is a bit like having a netto tent but hey ho!!wink

Slubberdegullion Mon 13-Jul-09 12:16:40

buy smaller bottle grin

see I am saving you money here. Don't buy more stuff grin

[do as I say and not as I do]

Slubberdegullion Mon 13-Jul-09 12:18:30

nah, I think eurohike are ok. It should be fine. gwan gwan camp in the mofo tent. You'll be thanking us when it is pissing down with rain and you are stuck inside.

troutpout Mon 13-Jul-09 12:22:19

That eurohike one will be ok to put up...just have a practice run

I think you may have to pay for 2 pitches if you got 2 3 man pop ups anyway

flamingobingo Mon 13-Jul-09 12:22:23

How old are your DCs? Why don't you, instead of spending money on two new tents, spend money on a portable dvd player that you can whip out in a 'ta da!' type way when you get to the campsite for them to watch while you put the tent up?

MerlinsBeard Mon 13-Jul-09 12:25:25

sorry i forgot to answer that question .. DSs are 6, 4 and 17 months

a portable DVD player? now THAT is a genius idea!!

flamingobingo Mon 13-Jul-09 12:27:00

smile

<<takes a bow>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now