Talk

Advanced search

trailer tent vs normal tent?? never camped as an adult LOADS of ???

(20 Posts)
lisad123 Sat 11-Jul-09 17:17:29

We want to try camping as a family. Me, DH, DD1 is 6 and DD2 is nearly 2. As a kid we had trailer tents, they were fabby and so roomy. Im not sure what to buy. Im not sure I would cope with a little dome tent, and with DH being unwell, think off the floor might be better.

What basics would I need??

Anyone selling anything suitable?

How hard is towing?? I have a big people carrier.

Am I mad considering camping with a 2 year old??

How do find best/cheap sites??

Portaloo? site with loos??

Help

slayerette Sat 11-Jul-09 17:35:45

Have never used a trailer tent so can't help there but could your DH use a camp bed rather than an airbed/sleeping mat? You can get some nice sized tents that are still easy to put up - doesn't have to be a little dome tent!

Definitely a site with loos and a shower block - no need to invest in toilet tent and all that palaver grin

Camping with a 2 year old will be fine - DS has been going since he was a baby and loves it. Go to a quiet small site for your first time so that you're not stressing about traffic/her disappearing into acres and acres of tents!

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Sat 11-Jul-09 20:05:48

We had a trailer tent up until i was expecting ds so we sold it on to get our garage space back. Towing was not a problem, dh was nervous at first but remarked it was so easy you forgot it was on - we towed with a 1.6 astra at the time. Putting it up tok alot of effort and it was definielty not something you took out just for the weekend. Ooodles of room for kitchen, loo and electric hook up worked well in the cabin bit. Storage when not in use as mentioned was our pain pita. I would so love love love a foldig camper as they sem effortless to put up and more luxiourous. As it is were going back to some more basic camping these next few years before i can persuade dh to part with soem serious cash and his garage again. I have a 2 yr old and am v worried about camping with him this year - am considerign just me and dd and some friends and taking the boys (ds and dh) next year when ds is a toot older.

holdingittogether Sat 11-Jul-09 20:13:12

I would go for a decent sizes family tent. Trailer tents are fab our friends have one but they are difficult to store and take just as long to set up. You could get a really thick nice air mattress.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Sat 11-Jul-09 20:33:11

I agree unless you have a double garage and can afford the storage space otherwise if you store it in storage you dont have the impulsive lets hook up and go buzz going on which i find caravanning would lack.

lisad123 Sat 11-Jul-09 20:57:58

It will be stored at my mums

potplant Sat 11-Jul-09 21:20:39

We moved up from a tent to a trailer this year and I've no regrets - its so much better. I never had any problem sleeping on an airbed in a tent, but DH much prefers sleeping off the ground.

We can get the sleeping compartment up and ready to use in about 30 mins, so much quicker than a tent but the full awning and all the stuff takes about the same time as the tent.

If money was no object I'd have either a Camplet or a Trigano Olympe cos the both have the integrated awning so wuld be quicker to erect.

lisad123 Sat 11-Jul-09 21:24:31

I think Im worried about what to do with the kids while setting up?!
We were also robbed in our tent when i was a kid, so scared, so would need an alarm.

How do you find all the sites?

potplant Sat 11-Jul-09 21:32:59

We are in the Camping and Caravanning Club and Caravan Club and only use their sites, they are really secure - but we don't leave any valuables unattended.

I'm still trying to work out how to keep the kids out of the way whilst we are setting up and we've been camping for a few years!

lisad123 Sat 11-Jul-09 21:43:10

thanks, for all the advice, anyone recommend a good place to look for 2nd hand tents?other than ebay.

Do you all get by on a little stove? or is it worth buying one with a grill?

sleeping bags? or quilts?

slayerette Sat 11-Jul-09 22:44:13

No need for a grill I don't think; DS loves jam sandwiches for breakfast! Get a two ring stove, not a single ring though.

We moved from sleeping bags to a duvet recently and much prefer it - really cosy. I hate sleeping bags though. DS has a readybed which means he doesn't slide off his airbed because it's all in one with the sleeping bag.

Have never had anything stolen while camping but always lock valuables in the car even when going to shower block and so on.

While setting up, sit children in the car with snacks and story CDs!

Lots and lots of advice about good sites on MN - depends where you are and how far you want to travel. One of our favourites is Red Shoot in the New Forest -quiet with good facilities and lots to do round and about.

TsarChasm Sat 11-Jul-09 22:59:35

We have a TT. It's very comfortable and we got it mainly cos I hated sleeping on the floor and scrabbling about in a tiny tent.

I'm not a natural camper by a long shot, but if we didn't go camping we wouldn't be able to afford many holidays so it's our sort of mobile home I suppose.

It does take quite a bit of putting up (dh does most of it blush) and he says towing it is ok. He was a bit daunted at first, but quickly got used to it.

I wouldn't want to go back to an ordinarly tent now. It's as near to a caravan as we can get without having one. We store our TT in the garden but wouldn't have room for a caravan.

This is a good site to find camp sites. You get unbiased comments on there too which give you an idea of what the places are really like which is helpful.smile

TsarChasm Sat 11-Jul-09 23:02:42

We have duvets too. They're more bulky to pack but I cannot manage sleeping bags - I get twisted up in them and they drive me barmy.

slummymummy36 Sat 11-Jul-09 23:11:22

Hi I camp with frame tent usually on my own with my girls and have been doing so since they were small.

I will admit the setting up with kids is a nightmare but I have found the following useful.

Upon arrival take them to the loo (to save them needing to go when you dont want to let go of the tent at that moment. Or make sure the potty is handy.

Save a pic nic lunch/tea mid afternoon/midmorning whatever with their favourite snacks and treats. Make a big fuss about it (upon arrival - surprise them, dont tell them before hand as all the car journey there they will beg for food). Put down a rug near to where you are pitching and let them tuck in. Keep it simple in tupperwares etc so you can quickly clear up any leftovers and save for later.

Bribe them that if they are good whilst you put the tent up they can have a packet of chocolte buttons, smarties, icecream etc etc. Use this as a bribe and reminder as you carry on erecting tent.

When the amusement of the pic nic passes move onto the little secret pack of colouring/magic painting books and new crayons/felt tips etc (poundstretcher is fab for cheap bits like this).

Find little jobs for them even when they are tiny ask them to pass you pegs, or if the ater tap is nearby ask them to fill a small plastic bottle of water for you regardless if you need it or not. The footpump and the blow up bed - even if you know they wont manage it - they will pump for quite along time before realising they are not getting anywhere when they are quite small! LOL

Other amusement games include count the tents, how many blue tents, brown tents etc etc

I also take a small bag of outdoor toys like hula hoops, throw the ring around the post. ELC egg and spoon etc etc. Things like this work better if it is new or not been out for a long time. I keep my bag of stuff like this JUST for camping, so it holds a good amusement and entertainment level for them.

Once they have been out the car for a while, you could strap them back in if needed (like when its raining). We now have the DVD player and small screens in the car. Not taken it camping yet but imagine it could have been useful when they were smaller.

Mine ar older now, so they get jobs to do and now we take the Swingball as well!

With regards to the tent. I would love a TT or FC but sadly DH does not share my passion for camping and refuses to spend shed loads of dosh on any equipment!

pinksancerre Sat 11-Jul-09 23:58:32

We have just upgraded to a caravan from a trailer tent having had a TT 5 years. Huge bonus of being off the ground in comfy beds. Lots of space. We have been caught in some horrendous weather in France and the TT has never let us down. Really easy to tow and if you pack it right, you can get most of your stuff in the trailer prior to travel. Downside is the set up time. At best 2 hours for full set up with 2 people, from pulling up on site to sitting down with a glass of wine! My children are now old enough to amuse themselves during set up and we generally get their bikes off so they can explore the site! (BTW our TT will be for sale! grin )

pinksancerre Sun 12-Jul-09 00:03:25

Sorry, missed some of your questions

We always use sites loos but have an emergency bucket/bowl for overnight.

If you buy a new TT you will need electric hook up, lighting, storage unit, gas, table and chairs, cooking stuff, kettle etc. If you buy second hand chances are some stuff will be included. Started camping when ds was 18 months, take favourite toys etc

lisad123 Sun 12-Jul-09 07:28:45

oh pink really?? how much?

I cant afford new tbh, I dont even knowif I can afford secnd hand atm. blush

We have a big car so quilts me thinks, plus saves me buying another load of stuff.

slummy they are all great ideas, thanks so much, although my 2 year old will run a mile if i let her, so might have to be picnic in the boot of the car LOL

So I need to buy
tent
matresses/airbeds
Cooker with 2 hobs
table and chairs
touches
bucket/loo
water butt
pots/pans/plates ect
alarm and locks

anything else??

pinksancerre Sun 12-Jul-09 18:40:13

If you buy a second hand trailer tent then you won't need mattresses, airbeds, cooker as it is all inc in the set up. You may get electric too.

We are looking to sell ours inc electric, gas and some cooking stuff and groundsheet for £850. It is a Sunncamp 400SE, they are about £2200 new.

If you go for the normal tent option and you are concerned about sleeping on the floor you could get a double height airbed or campbed as already suggested

lisad123 Sun 12-Jul-09 19:58:41

wow I so wish I could buy yours pink but out of my price range so wish i could afford it.

pinksancerre Sun 12-Jul-09 21:32:24

Never mind smile

Hope you have a good time when you go. Think you have covered it in your list. You could do with a cool box and ice packs if you are going for longer than a couple of days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now