Talk

Advanced search

Help needed - tips on camping alone with kids

(7 Posts)
lovecamping Wed 08-Jul-09 21:19:38

I know the best tip would be not to go.... however I am going with very good friends who have said they will chip in and help with tents/cooking/kids. But I'm still very nervous.

any tips/suggestions/own experiences on how i get through the weekend and even make it enjoyable. i've already got the wine!!!

thank you

nkf Wed 08-Jul-09 21:20:12

I want answers to this too.

juicychops Wed 08-Jul-09 22:14:06

I went camping last week for 3 nights just me and ds (4) and it was great. no stress at all except a bit at bed time. there were loads of kids there and a play area so i didn't have to do anything really.

struggled the fist night to get him into bed as he thought he was missing something going to bed before everyone else (the other kids) so the second and third night it was easier to let him just stay up late until he was so tired he couldn't keep his eyes open

also one morning i woke to find ds trying to get out the tent by himself to go to the loo so be aware of that!!

also, it was quite cold at night so take lots of spare blankets just incase

lovecamping Wed 08-Jul-09 22:30:18

thanks juicychops. i've got 3 kids (7,4 and 2 yrs). I'm planning not to put them to bed until the other kids are put to bed or when they ask to.

i am looking forward to it and i'm willing to pack up the tent and leave if things get really bad or it rains!!!

loads of blankets and thermals are on the list of stuff to take.

MadBoysMum Fri 10-Jul-09 19:59:50

Just make sure the campsite is very obviously child friendly (ie age appropriate play area, etc) so will attract other children, and the rest will take care of itself!

FouFoucault Mon 13-Jul-09 13:16:15

I haven't got any tips - haven't been yet - but am taking DD next week - just for the weekend. I have chosen v small quiet family site - in the hope that she will make friends and play with other kids - but not get lost in hordes of them.
Lots of games? Puzzle books etc? Not sure really - I think I need to think about this some more - I'm sure there are lots of people here who do this successfully.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 13-Jul-09 21:05:34

Oh im doing this in august - promissed me and dd but hoping my parents might come too but in seperate tent - tbh im more concerned about the safety issue and some mad man coming to get me inthe middle of the night or alien abduction - that doesnt help does it.........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now