Talk

Advanced search

When you tie your guys onto your tent is there a very special sort of knot you should use?

(16 Posts)
Slubberdegullion Tue 07-Jul-09 14:06:10

The Tatonka Tarp has FINALLY arrived.
[oh happy day]

I'm about to commence tying the lovely tabasco red guys on. Oh is IS a most excellent piece of sensible kit.

Fancy knots or bog standard over the hill and into the hole?

I want to do this right.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 07-Jul-09 14:11:28

Sorry, I can't help with the knots (I'd say bog standard but I don't know if that's The Right Answer, it's just what I've done in the past without disaster) but I just wanted to thank you for the lovely thread title. I'll have interesting images in my head all afternoon now. grin

[too little to do emoticon]

Slubberdegullion Tue 07-Jul-09 14:15:22

And as an aside, do you swist your cleats when you have tensioned your guys?
(serious question)

I had a lengthy chat with heavy duty Girl Guider friend today (I am Guiding lite) who twists her sliders round the guys when she has tensioned them to stop them slipping. I have never heard of such a practice, but it sounds VERY sensible and well thought out.

gingertoo Tue 07-Jul-09 14:16:51

lol - same here - have got a lovely image of dh tied onto my tent!! grin

Slubberdegullion Tue 07-Jul-09 14:19:15

grin OLKN, see I am so absorbed with camping thinking thoughts it never even crossed my mind.

I'll leave you to your images.

warning: attaching blokes to your tent may result in wear and tear to the fly and a loss in waterproofness.

OnceWasSquiffy Tue 07-Jul-09 14:36:54

Use a knot that doesn't give them enough slack to reach the beer fridge.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 07-Jul-09 14:39:43

Oh dear, I have serious giggles now, after your 14.15 post.

grin

>>silent tears roll down face<<

Slubberdegullion Tue 07-Jul-09 15:45:43

AND NOW I HAVE A ROPE BURN.

Now looky here all you with double entendre minded people, this is in the CAMPING TOPIC. It is a serious thread for serious people with serious guy issues.

Stop your sniggering now
<folds arms>

Lucycat Tue 07-Jul-09 16:05:02

OK slubber never fear I have returned from the chalkface (or should that be IWB-face) and a simple answer is for typing tarp to a tree or such like then you could use a bowline or for your actual guys fastened to tent type knot then you need a taut line so the knot can be adjusted when you do your evening tent check.

There is agood instructive video here tada!

and the guides do indeed wrap their lines round the slider.

See all you needed was some good old fashioned sensibleness of the camping forum type. smile

Slubberdegullion Tue 07-Jul-09 16:09:41

Oh thank you Lucycat smile that is the perfect camping answer for the camping topic and with a demonstration video too.

Marvellous stuff.

Any tips now on helping ease the burning pain in my index finger following tarp flying off in the garden incident blush

Slubberdegullion Tue 07-Jul-09 16:13:28

I'm going to have to get it out of the bag again now to practice (indoors).

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 07-Jul-09 16:25:35

>>straightens face<<

Aloe vera for the rope burn.

Lucycat Tue 07-Jul-09 16:31:47

OLKN - I was going to suggest Pimms but aloe vera might work as well grin

Where did the tarp fly to? and anyway didn't you buy an Aldi tarp alst year? (stern look at slubber's extra spending in camping accessories)

Lucycat Tue 07-Jul-09 16:34:34

Is it this wee beastie? I would so like to see your canoe under it

although there are some good shots of kots wink

Slubberdegullion Tue 07-Jul-09 17:02:54

Tarp flew into tree, but is fine <phew>.

I'm such a silly sod.

Yes that is the one Lucy. I got the polycotton one in coocoon [ponce] (3x3m). I do have the Aldi one but it is pants. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH too ginormous and a weirdy shape, and it's only showerproof hmm.

I got the Tatonka (as recommended by the gruffly marvellous Rexgrant on ukcs) as at half term we couldn't take the utility and we had nowhere to cook. It was a giant pita carrying the stove in and out of the porch the whole time so I needed wink to get a windbreak/tarp option that we will use for w/e camps now.

It's really well made. I think I'll stick it up over the patio on sunny days so I can sit out in the shade and sip my pimms in comfort (ha bloody ha)

AND

should the urge ever come over me I can go wild camping with it and use it instead of a tent grin

Slubberdegullion Tue 07-Jul-09 17:07:48

If you look at the 2nd photo (one under the beer glass) you can see that in the centre there is a little loop to hang a light from. How cool is that? DH and I can now sit outside in the evening in the pissy rain and stay warm dry and well lit.

It's going to look totally lush with the new blue diamond windbreak. In a very utilitarian and sombre fashion natch wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now