Talk

Advanced search

Campsites in France with no car

(11 Posts)
UnquietDad Sat 04-Jul-09 20:22:17

We are not hardcore campers, so please no laughing and pointing.

Enjoyed SE France with Canvas last year and looking at campsites again. Always late bookers, we've just got round to looking at late deals for this summer. Got several ideas and almost don't really care where we go, but camping in France again is one idea. (By which we mean, I should clarify, wimps' camping - standing tent and/or mobile-home.)

We hired a car last year and all we used it for was getting to and from the airport. Everything else we did was easily achievable on public transport. So we'd like to avoid taking a car if we go for the camping option.

Problem is - been looking at lots of sites (web) and all the sites (camp) seem to be located miles from the nearest available transport. The "how to get there" info is useless as it just tells you how far/near the nearest port/airport is and not how to proceed when you arrive.

So - shortcut - ask the seasoned mumsnetters. Anyone know of a decent, nice, not urban, international (i.e. not full of Brits ) campsite with good facilities, in a lovely location in France, and which is reachable by a combination of plane and train? (Maybe 5 mins' walk or taxi from a station?) Or are we asking the impossible?...

fourkids Sat 04-Jul-09 20:41:27

I'm also that type of camper...but not ashamed! Eurocamp every year for us.
How will you carry everything you need for a family to camp without a car? we pack ours to the limit,then put the DCs in and pack the rest of the stuff around them...

UnquietDad Sat 04-Jul-09 22:49:55

The Canvas places have everything you need in terms of crockery, bedding etc. We'd be taking no more than we'd need for a hotel.

fourkids Sat 04-Jul-09 22:51:37

mobile home?

UnquietDad Sat 04-Jul-09 22:54:43

Sorry 4kids - are you suggesting one or asking what I mean by one?...

fourkids Sat 04-Jul-09 23:04:57

ha...I was wondering how you didn't need a stacker box with a washing up liquid and gloves and cloths and loo roll and shower gel...and another with food to start you off...and a portapotty so you don't have to all wee in the eurocamp-provided-for-cleaning-the-floor-bucket in the middle of the night...and sleeping bags and pillows...and wellies for coming back from the showers when it's raining and you don't want to get your clean feet muddy and leave bits of grass down the bottom of your sleeping bag...and jumpers in case of cold days...and then i thought 'ah, more civilized, mobile home'!

fourkids Sat 04-Jul-09 23:08:33

I think the answer to your problem might lie in who you travel with (I don't mean which of your family you take, I mean which company!).

If you look in the Eurocamp brochure,for example, many of their sites offer a transfer service...look in the box at the bottom where it tells you the distances form a sample of stations/ports, and some say 'transfers available'.

Not sure about other companies and have never done this, but might be worth an exploratory phone call...

UnquietDad Sun 05-Jul-09 16:55:56

ooh, thanks 4kids - will have a look.

fatzak Sun 05-Jul-09 20:13:45

I think that Eurocamp do an airport transfer now if that's any help?

changenameruk Mon 06-Jul-09 19:05:54

we usually go to le lac de reves with siblu. we fly to montpelliar with ryan air and get a taxi to site. about 10minutes from air port. tthis year we are going to camp fabulous outside rome

UnquietDad Tue 07-Jul-09 09:07:51

Thank you again everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now