Talk

Advanced search

Experienced campers, fancy sharing some wisdom?

(9 Posts)
PrincessToadstool Sat 04-Jul-09 19:39:29

DP and I are really romanticising the idea of sleeping under the stars and breathing in the countryside air and all that guff. So:

What would be your absolute camping essentials for just a night or two somewhere?

AND
any recommendations on a tent for newbie campers? 2 adults, 1 toddler... don't want to spend loads in case we only go once or twice and/or hate it but equally don't want to buy some cheap tripe that is just too small/cramped/hard to fold up etc...

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Sat 04-Jul-09 20:07:27

Let us know what your idea of not spending a fortune is. You want as good as you can comortably afford, 3 of you = a five berth tent- will link to a few

wisdom: waterproofs mean p[lans arent ruined by rain

takewarm pj's as night is cold outdoors, place a blanket on the floor of the tent (get a SIG to toddler proof it) for warmth

Corkscrew!!!!!!!

before you go on your first trip, google the nearest supermarket and tent shop to your destination, then forgottten and broken items are inconveniences not disasters

tunnel shapes are easiest to pitch unless you choose something along the quechua line of things

Basics:

tent
mallet
extra pegs
seats- cheapo in asda if necessary
beds (airbed or mat for you, readybed or travel cot for toddler)

sleeping bags (Vago do good kids ones)

cooker and pans, whistling kettle

waterprrofs, clothes, sweaters and sun gear

plates etc

washkit

either flipflops or crocs that can be worn in wet grass or showers and not rot

cool box with ice blocks (many sites can freeze them for you)

and that's pretty much it, anything else can be added as you go

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Sat 04-Jul-09 20:11:15

have a look at some on here- the easycamp is a good bet i think, as are the orchy and similar on page two

PrincessToadstool Sat 04-Jul-09 20:43:31

Peachy thanks for your post. Those tents look great - I do like the look of the £799 one I would say £150 would be an okay amount if it were to last, I'd rather spend that than say £70 and have it tear/be crap (though I don't know what makes a tent crap - except the £30 jobby I got in Argos for a festival in my teens was definitely 'crap'!)

Readybed a good idea, I would definitely want an airbed or a very good mat as am fussy as hell.

What's a SIG?

flamingobingo Sat 04-Jul-09 20:46:36

Sewn in groundsheet

Would add:

washing up bowl, sponge, washing up liquid
Torches/lanterns/headtorch

Goober Sat 04-Jul-09 21:05:50

I'm a camping virgin. Have just bought this.
Am sleeping in garden tonight.

MrsVW Sat 04-Jul-09 22:35:15

And blankets. Can't go camping without them. We take 3 with us for 2 adults and a baby.

And don't forget the towels, like we did on our last camping trip

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 04-Jul-09 23:32:28

My mantra is there's no such thing as the wrong weather just the wrong clothes.

Oh and airbeds can be cold. I put a foam mat on top of mine, though others like them underneath.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Sun 05-Jul-09 10:09:30

Quite right MMofC, I never get the 'it rained so we had to stay in the ent getting bored all day'- Tsk! It's the UK, it will rin,put on wellies and go out!

<<prays for sun this year after the tornado incident of 2007>>

tent essentials- SIG or bucket _as well as waterprrof, it stops LO escaping nder the tent edges!.

HH (hydrostatic head)- measures waterprrof. Do not buy under 2000, but 2000 will do you fine. Eurohike measure their waterprrof rating differently, so if you chose a Millets own brand (which is Eurohike) harangue them for explanations first- saying that my Mum has a lovely one from there

That one I linked to on my post before was a great starter brand- don't get anything too cheap because a good tent will make it far more likely you'll go again I think. However, second hand can be good also. Think Gelert, Easycamp, royal, Coleman- that sort of level for entry tents, then upgrade after a year or two if you want (we started with an Argos one and now have an Outwell via Khyam and Gelert)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now