Talk

Advanced search

Dry shampoo - anyone tried it ? Want to reccomend a brand?

(10 Posts)
nikkid21 Sat 04-Jul-09 08:55:39

Our next trip is at a very basic site with a cold standpipe tap and a compost loo. That's it - no showers.

I can strip wash standing in a flexi tub with a puddle of water in it but hair washing will be a nightmare and I can't leave it a whole week as . It will get too greasy and plus I will stink of campfire.

So....has anyone tried dry shampoo and can they reccomend a brand. If it makes any difference I have poker straight hair so it really shows if it is greasy.

Nikki

bramblebooks Sat 04-Jul-09 09:16:05

Batiste dry shampoo is ok for an extra day. The tropical one smells of coconuts. You'll still need to wash your hair though.

Malkuth Sat 04-Jul-09 10:02:56

The no-rinse one is ok. Depends on how much hair you have though. DD2 has a bob and it didn't take too much but I reckon it would take loads on my hair which is long and thick. They also do shower stuff.

EldonAve Sat 04-Jul-09 10:08:03

batiste but it'll only give you a day or two

FrannyandZooey Sat 04-Jul-09 10:11:35

batiste but it does make your head greasy and itchy in the long run
the other thing to do is to increase the time between washes in the run up to your trip
eg if you normally wash it every 2 days try to go 3 days
at first it will look a little greasier (wear a hat?) but it will quickly adjust
it's quite possible to wash it only every 5 or 6 days without it looking horrific, if you let the natural oils adjust and stop washing them away every day

Oblomov Sat 04-Jul-09 11:00:20

Is dry shampoo not the 'bees knees', then ?
Was reading old camping threads and thought that I might give it a go.
Saying that we have just bought a caravan. never been camping before. but it has proper fantastic shower blocks, so its not as though I will need it. But I did kind of think it would be the answer to my prayers, with greasy hair that needs washing every day. But reading f&z's post, I am a bit 'flattened', before I've even bought some !!

Phoenix Sat 04-Jul-09 11:29:34

Batiste is brilliant. I can wash my hair on a night and it be greasy by the next morning though so it's an absolute godsend to me. Without dry shampoo i have to wash my hair everyday.

Phoenix Sat 04-Jul-09 11:31:27

It's only about £1.50 - £2 a can so give it a go oblomov. I've bought Toni and Guy stuff before and that is crap IMO.

nikkid21 Sat 04-Jul-09 12:11:02

Thanks everyone - where can I buy Batiste ? Will Boots do it?

ExtraFancy Sat 04-Jul-09 12:13:35

Boots and Superdrug both do it. I use Burt's Bees baby powder - works brilliantly and doesn't make my scalp itch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now