Talk

Advanced search

is there anywhere in scotland (ideally central) that doesn't have midgies?

(49 Posts)
AitchTwoOh Wed 01-Jul-09 20:41:54

we just camped in York, it was amazing to sit out in the evening without being mugged by wee beasties...

geordieminx Wed 01-Jul-09 20:47:13

Er...... nope. Not that I have found anyways.

Maybe the coast would be the best bet, not sure if midgies travel to the seaside.

Lunan bay between Arbroath and Montrose is lovely?

Oh and not sure if you remember but ended up going to Fifi and Alleys in the end for afternoon tea - was lovely, although would have been more enjoyable with a group of girls rather than ds.. although they did do him a lovely knickerbocker glory grin

AitchTwoOh Wed 01-Jul-09 20:49:58

i'm so glad you enjoyed it! and yyy more fun with pals. am googling lunan bay.

smallchange Wed 01-Jul-09 20:50:38

I think the East coast is fine. Certainly no midgies in Edinburgh or East Lothian ime.

I think Fife is midgie free, or am I just thinking of free of the fearsome West Highland midge and there are other, lesser midgies?

We were up in Gairloch at the end of May and had a week with no midgies - it was truely miraculous!

gomez Wed 01-Jul-09 20:53:38

East Coast (generally) midge free honestly! Generally coast as opposed to loch/river location best. East Neuk (of Fife) fab for camping (Shell Bay/Dumbarnie Links springing to mind from my childhood camping days then relived as a drunken teen but best said about the the better smile)

Or Tiree where it is too windy. Lovely place.

AitchTwoOh Wed 01-Jul-09 20:55:13

blast. nowhere yet mentioned is an hour and a half from glasgae.

gomez Wed 01-Jul-09 20:57:11

Fife isn't a kick in the bum off it to be fair.

nevergoogledragonbutter Wed 01-Jul-09 21:01:42

my dad's garden. he has one of those midgie killer machines.
but you can't camp there. grin

AitchTwoOh Wed 01-Jul-09 21:02:38

i'm trying to remember how long it took us to drive to st andrews last time. i seem to remember three hours but i may be havering.

smallchange Wed 01-Jul-09 21:07:02

Google Maps reckons 1hr 50mins Glasgow-St Andrews which sounds about right to me.

smallchange Wed 01-Jul-09 21:08:47

If you went somewhere like Elie you wouldn't be going quite as far as St Andrews.

gomez Wed 01-Jul-09 21:13:07

You clearly stopped for a nice lunch somewhere Aitch. Elie/Earlsferry makes for a fab wee holiday spot.

geordieminx Wed 01-Jul-09 21:15:44

Lunan bay isnt much more than an hour and a half - its only 20 minutes past dundee, the sand is white, its truely beautiful.

specialmagiclady Wed 01-Jul-09 21:17:39

What about the Trossachs? Does the midge come as far east as St Fillans etc?

Possibly, I think. I was brought up in Angus - 2 hours from Glas Vegas so could be a goer. Definitely no midges there (unless you're right next to a loch) and some lovely glens etc.

(Lunan Bay my favourite place. Bar none)

AitchTwoOh Wed 01-Jul-09 21:23:44

the only camp site i can google is saying no kids.

geordieminx Wed 01-Jul-09 21:28:38

this one

gomez Wed 01-Jul-09 21:34:18

Trossachs midge-tastic!

geordieminx Wed 01-Jul-09 21:35:35

Trossachs is probably one of the worst places for midges btw

geordieminx Wed 01-Jul-09 21:35:57

x-posts gomez

gomez Wed 01-Jul-09 21:40:46

smile.

TwoIfBySea Wed 01-Jul-09 21:45:18

Buy some Avon Skin So Soft oil in the green bottle.

Apply to skin.

Midgies no more.

It works, I lived in the Trossachs once, believe me, it works.

specialmagiclady Thu 02-Jul-09 11:29:01

Remembering cousin's wedding and the subsequent fortnight of itching I can now confirm the Trossachs are a NIGHTMARE for midges.

And will second the Avon claims..

AitchTwoOh Thu 02-Jul-09 12:39:35

sure, i know i can defeat them with skin so soft but i do find it a greasy bother. sitting out at night with no such worried was great.

cheeseytoastie Thu 02-Jul-09 13:10:23

Brighouse Bay (near Kirkcudbight) has no midgies. 2 hours from Glasgow, down A77, left at Ayr hospital and follow the road to the end!

brokenspacebar Thu 02-Jul-09 13:15:24

I would go east -I have done west coast camping from Kirkcudbright up... lots of trees, west coast humidity, serious midges.

I would go east, cooler maybe - slightly, but drier/less humid and if you can get right by a beach it should be good.

Avoid trees and glens... look for windswept, midges don't like the wind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now