Talk

Advanced search

weekend tent that I could put up myself???

(23 Posts)
peanutbrittle Mon 29-Jun-09 13:48:58

just back from a weekend trip with our mega wynnster orion. It's a lovely tent but I rckon we can only take it when we go group camping as it needs so many tall men to get the fly sheet over. Is a right palaver.

Anyway, I think in future for short trips would like to bring something easier to put up. Will normally e woth DH but it would be good if I could put it up alone, or with the (not very reliable) help of my 7yo

it needs a SIG and sleeping space for two adults and two kids, plus space for the ridiculous amount of stuff we seem unable to leave home without. Light and airy would be nice.

Budget quite low as I anticipate DH freaking out about my thinking we need another one. Could probably stretch to about £100

any ideas? anyone heard anything about teh vango icarus 500?

chickers Mon 29-Jun-09 13:52:21

Haven't heard about that particular tent but have a vango killington and its ace. Have always heard good stuff about vango.

chickers Mon 29-Jun-09 13:53:42

you got any tips on sleeping bags for little ones? like, do I really need them or will duvet do?

Slubberdegullion Mon 29-Jun-09 14:09:00

My mate has the old version of the icarus for weekend camping. Not sure if she puts it up herself but I bet a 7 yo would be able to give you a hand. Sleeps all four of them and their stuff fine.

She really likes it.

peanutbrittle Tue 30-Jun-09 10:12:51

thanks guys - am thinking will just go for it - it gets great reviews on ukcampsite

I would get sleeping nags for littlies, they squirm so much the duvet might come off and if it is cold you certainly don't want that

though ime at least one alwyas end up in with us under our duvet anyway!

Furball Tue 30-Jun-09 11:51:16

I've got a vango icarus 500 and am also hoping to pitch it myself.

I am complete camping novice and know nothing about tents, but did alot of reading/research before comming to that conclusion.

I have pitched it once with dh and yes I do think with the aid of my 7 yo it should be fine.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Tue 30-Jun-09 18:50:54

i just looked at this today in go outdoors as it is on offer till the 5th July. It looked good - there was also another one v similar of the vang range called a vango orchy 600 which was v similar but he living area was slightly bigger. you can see em on the website but the deals are in store only. smile

Furball Tue 30-Jun-09 18:58:44

the thing I didn't like about the orchy was it was only 140mm high in the bedroom area.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Tue 30-Jun-09 19:07:20

ahh yes - you see my dh is short grin and im not much taller! i do like the tunnel tens for continuity. I have just posted actually as some hi gear ones look really good in go outdoors but im dubious as its not a brand as such i know..........

peanutbrittle Wed 01-Jul-09 08:35:16

on ukcampsite reviews the orchy is slated, but the icarus gets resoundingly great reviews

think will just get it - camping again in less that two weeks and can't bear to bring "the mothership" again, there are better things to do with two or three hours of the weekend than put that thing up and down!

peanutbrittle Wed 01-Jul-09 12:38:12

oohh, but should I get the ensign bluebell or the laurel and sage??? decisions decisions...bigest contributing factor - which will have darkest bedroom to ensure sleep post 5.30 am for the littlies?...any thoughts?

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Wed 01-Jul-09 12:38:14

why is the orchy slated? which icarus you going for? i think the whole crossing poles at the top would be high on the orchy.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Wed 01-Jul-09 12:40:55

personally id go green to belnd in with the countryside ! £124.99 in go outdoors with a further 15% off with the voucher out of the brochure you pick up on the way in.

peanutbrittle Wed 01-Jul-09 13:05:20

I think they said not stable and various other issues take a look

yes, I like the green one but think the navy at the back of the blue might be darker...

I was going to buy it online, but if you had a voucher code I could use online I'd be very grateful...smile

FouFoucault Wed 01-Jul-09 13:31:50

I was just about to come and here and talk about the same thing.
I have just put up my new Icarus 500 in the garden. I have got it for me and DD (age 6)to go camping in - DP is campophobic. Reviews said it would be possible to put up on your own. My advice - don't do it in 30 degree heat with your MIL watching when you're supposed to be working from home.
It took quite a long time as I was doing it wrong to start with - but I would still say 10 minutes is optimistic - maybe more like 30 - 1 hour but I am hoping to get that down.
It is nice and spacious inside - plenty of head room (which is why I went for the 500 rather than 400). You could put table and chairs in porch area.
A question - if all you happy campers see a single person struggling to put up a tent on their own with 'help' of DC - do you rush to help or do you settle down to watch the fun?
Please tell me it's the first.

FouFoucault Wed 01-Jul-09 13:34:13

Forgot to add - the green was mostly out of stock a couple of weeks ago - I have got blue - tis v nice.
The poles to put up the front door as a canopy are not included - if you want to do this remember to buy poles separately.

Furball Wed 01-Jul-09 13:48:35

any tips foufoucault on pitching - which order did you do it all in?

I've only pitched it once with dh so will welcome tips and hints

peanutbrittle Wed 01-Jul-09 14:01:27

I don't really mind about headheight tbh - our "mothership" is really high so a smaller more intimate space for that real camping feeling will suit me fine as a contrast grin

I found one place that still has the green, can't remember it now though so will probably never find it again. Our other tent is green so maybe should just get the blue as a change

I quite like the idea of the lighter front, darker back - how does it work in reality? will the sleeping area be nice and dark [pleading emoticon]

FouFoucault Wed 01-Jul-09 14:35:54

Difficult to say at the moment as sunshine is bright. DP is saying won't it be too hot in there and I am in denying reality mode saying no it's lovely and breezy. I will report back on darkness levels later on.

Re pitching - you have to put the poles through the sleeves and bend them into an arch. I think where I went worng was hooking them onto the little clips before I bent it into the arch - it was easier when I took these off. Then once you have the 3 arches, stick 2 pegs in at back and sort of walk forward with the 3 arches to pull it taut, before pegging out more. There is a video on youtube of a similar tent which was fairly helpful. I think DD will be helpful in threading the poles through - or in lying on tent when windy.
I also found when I eventually got it up that the inner tent was already hooked up to the roof - I htink it would be easier if this wasn't - the instructions say hook up after putting up but I couldn't get inside to see before I put it up IFSYIM.
I'll stop now - I think the sub has gone to my head.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Wed 01-Jul-09 15:41:27

peanut the voucher was for instore use only sorry. fourfou im in the same boat - dh declared last night hell would freeze ovcer before he camped and so i wouldnt take 2 yr old alone so its me and my six yr old dd also! are you nervous camping alone or do you sleep with a hammer? im a bit nervous but determied for dd not to miss out and me because he is camphobic!

FouFoucault Wed 01-Jul-09 15:56:25

That would be sun gone to my head - not sub.
Nappyzone
Glad to know I'm not alone. Haven't done it yet. My parents take DD in their caravan and I sometimes join them in tent - but that is different. Everyone keeps saying 'Why don't you get DP to take you to campsite and put up tent?'. Apart from the fact that he wouldn't be much help I am determined to do it on my own. I don't think I will be scared - I have chosen site carefully - v. small (10 pitches I think), family run etc and I think that will help. I am sure there are plenty of people on here who camp alone with kids who may be able to offer more advice.
I also want DD to grow up knowing how to camp and enjoying it.
Where are you planning on going?

Milliways Wed 01-Jul-09 16:26:03

We want to get a Khyam Winnipeg for weekend trips when we are not group camping. Our present tent is a HUGE 12 man and would be embarrasing if not surrounded by 50 friends.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Wed 01-Jul-09 17:41:47

i dont know yet but expect somewhere small - fancy ripley castle or somewhere near osmotherley/ helmsley ooop north. i just told dh about the icarus - i told him its normally 280 (big fat lie) and we could get for £115 so not to be missed - there was a smidgey glimmer of interest......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now