Talk

Advanced search

festival advice- pushchair related..

(23 Posts)
oopsagain Sun 28-Jun-09 21:13:47

we've bene to quite a few festivals with the kids in the last few yrs.

This yr ds1 will be 6 and ds2 4yrs old.
we don't use a pushchair anymore on a day to day basis.

But we've found the puschairs invaluable for festivals- the kids will usually sleep in them for a little while in the eve whilst we push them round to see some of the late eve bands.

We've got one mountain buggy for ds2 still, but nothing suitable for ds1-
what do you think?
i'm sure he'll be happy to have a pushchair- he's quite lazy really.... but what do you do withn your 6yr old??

not quite sure how it will go this yr.
any advice/insights gratefully received.

we are off to womad grin

plimple Sun 28-Jun-09 21:16:49

Go with friends and take turns babysitting.

Overmydeadbody Sun 28-Jun-09 21:18:41

I really don't tihnk you need to take a pushchair for a 6 yr old!! Just tire him out with all the walking, otherwise you will have to struggle lugging a pushchair with a 6 y old in it! I know I couldn't puch 6yr old DS round in a puchchair for long, an dI am strong.

gigglewitch Sun 28-Jun-09 21:19:14

my ds2 who is 5.9yo will happily jump into the nearest (usually ancient and collapsing) umbrella buggy. We got one from the charity shop which is a bit bigger than 'normal' ones, he fits in it superbly grin

Overmydeadbody Sun 28-Jun-09 21:19:31

or put the kids to sleep and take it in turns with your DH to babysit.

My friends take a wheelbarrow, they use it to transport their stuff from car park to camp, and then line it with blankets and cushions and let their dd's (5 and 7) rest in it when they need to, it also means they can stay out quite late and the kids just sleep in it.

They say it's hard work, but worth it for the freedom.

gigglewitch Sun 28-Jun-09 21:26:22

wtwtwgrin @ wheelbarrow!! that is such a class idea!!

Tortoise Sun 28-Jun-09 21:29:47

I saw a picture of a child sleeping in a wheelbarrow at Glastonbusy festival. Think it was in a newspaper.

Mspontipine Sun 28-Jun-09 21:39:45

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!

oopsagain Sun 28-Jun-09 21:41:11

i've suggested a wheelbarrow to dh, but he suffers from neck/back problems and i think a wheel abrrow would od him in.

we are prob meeting some friends there but not knowing them well enough to suggest they babysit our kids.

We were trying to all keep together.

my arm may well be oin plaster too- will find out in the next week or so if i have to keep a plaster on for a couple of months sad

dizzymac Sun 28-Jun-09 21:45:00

I have a Jane slalom and have had a 5 and 2 year old in it at once. So 1 6 year old shouldn't be too bad. It was easy to push too.

gigglewitch Sun 28-Jun-09 21:47:22

hey - I know grin
(this may not quite be as tongue in cheek as sounds) how about a bike trailer, the kind that converts into a buggy - esp if you do a bit of cycling to get the use out of it - or know someone who can loan you one?

oopsagain Sun 28-Jun-09 21:48:56

oh yes, a bike trialer-- wouldn't fit them both in as they would fight to the death in soemthing like that sad

but maybe for one or other of them and bit of stash too.

god idea.
will ahve a think.

gigglewitch Sun 28-Jun-09 21:51:34

<they can't fight if they're asleep. can they?>wink

oopsagain Sun 28-Jun-09 21:59:53

yes but getting to sleep would be a bloody difficult experience.
ds2 likes to sing and crawl over people when tired.
ds1 has an enormous personal space issue. grin

gigglewitch Sun 28-Jun-09 22:02:53

grin
Should have thought of that tbh - ds2 has space "ishoos" too and younger dd is a restless octopus when asleep. try Straightjackets

oopsagain Sun 28-Jun-09 22:05:05

it's not pretty grin

oopsagain Sun 28-Jun-09 22:05:18

it's not pretty grin

gigglewitch Sun 28-Jun-09 22:08:00

trailer thingy Toys r us do one - but I'm not sure it converts to buggy without buying a load of extra bits hmm

I'm going to a festival next weekend and am thinking of taking an umbrella buggy for my (tiny) 8yo. Not to push her around in but just to use as a seat. The artist I really want to see isn't playing till 11:00pm.

Oh and last weekend I saw people using similar to these. Also saw them for sale at the festival and a lot cheaper than thsi website.

www.blueberryforest.com/kettler/kettler-classic-flyer-wooden-wagon-air-tires.htm

3rdnparty Mon 29-Jun-09 08:37:24

we borrowed a 3 wheel pushchair last year and even though dh moaned at space it took in car was really worth it as site (big chill) quite hilly and ds would have been a complete pain without something to rest/lounge in....unfortunately far too nosy/curious to sleep so ended up staying up far too late but pushchair meant he could crash during the day.... found small pushcahir a nightmare at grean man esp once it had rained a bit....maclarens dont do grass/mud/hills!..... good luck

HaventSleptForAYear Wed 01-Jul-09 14:04:58

All we have is a Maclaren - for our 2.5 yr old.

Am a bit worried as I can tell DS1 (nearly 5) will be a bit of a wimp about walking.

Can't possibly fit a wheelbarrow or any trailer-like contraption into the car (we are coming to the UK for 2 weeks so will have ALL our stuff with us).

Hmmm [worried]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now