Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have a pre-camping Metcheck obsession?

(32 Posts)

We are going camping in 2 weeks (yay!), between now and leaving I will check Metcheck, ooooh at least twice a day (maybe more, it changes constantly) and my mood will be very much dependent on it's current prediction.

For example yesterday it suggested the 12th (the day we arrive) will be wet, and I was despondant at the thought of pitching in the rain.

Today it informs me the 12th will be drygrin, but the 13th will be rainysad.

I do this before every camping trip and drive myself crazy, and yet I just can't stop myself, is anyone afflicted?

supersalstrawberry Sun 28-Jun-09 16:59:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TsarChasm Sun 28-Jun-09 17:12:00

Yes! Lolgrin Pre-camping I log onto Metcheck constantly. But it's always wrong anyway. They know about as much as I do looking out of the window I think.

troutpout Sun 28-Jun-09 18:20:47

I used to
and then last year i took the printed out report to Anglesey with me and the weather was completely wrong for every single day
I didn't even look when we went away this weekend...we were going anyway (had to try out new tent!)

RubberDuck Sun 28-Jun-09 18:31:23

Last camping trip I bought wifi access at the site we were on just so I could check metcheck on my ipod touch blush.

I'm not going to do that again, though...

...I now have an iphone and can use 3G grin

brimfull Sun 28-Jun-09 18:32:56

I metcheck all the time and don't go camping

actually accuweather is better as it's down to the hour

PandaG Sun 28-Jun-09 18:33:16

oh yes, always do - and if I don't like what metcheck says I try BBC or any other weather site until I find one that seems more promising! grin blush

Lucycat Sun 28-Jun-09 18:40:34

yes here too!

although I'm currently obsessing with Meteo instead - for the French weather.

See, it has changed again since this morning, now pitching day will be dry but cloudy, the following day also dry and warm with a bit of sun.

what will tomorrow bring? Will I actually drive myself insane this trip?grin

Raining again for the first daysad, do you think they just make it up?

Hahahahah RAIN

Hahahahah SUN

Hahahahah SNOW

No it won't snow really we're just messing wiv ya, we are the metcheck pranksters.

I'm imagining metcheck is run from a little office in the style of the IT crowd, run by a couple of weather geeks.

Hahahahah PLAGUE OF LOCUSTS.....

Glitterknickaz Mon 29-Jun-09 10:52:46

Tooo sooooon
Will do when it gets closer to departure date though grin

Rain-free again day one.

gringringrin

I am going to update this constantly until we go, even though I am sure no-one is in the slightest bit interested, but writing it down stops me from telling dp and getting this face hmm, everytime I give him a new update.

Stinkyfeet Mon 29-Jun-09 21:53:21

Not for camping, but I check Metcheck, Accuweather and BBC weather until I find a forecast I like for anything I'm planning in advance! Anyone recommend any other sites?!

Love the idea of keeping ploughing through websites until you find one that suits.

Really does prove that we have no faith in the reports whatsoever, why do we do it?

badgermonkey Mon 29-Jun-09 22:05:45

I am a complete weather website addict but still manage to roll up to work in completely inappropriate clothes i.e. flimsy cotton skirt and sandals (no jacket) on a day when the heavens opened. "Didn't you check the weather forecast?" my colleague asked. I may have turned a bit fishwife blush

Feckity feck, yesterday all was looking good, today it's going to piss it down every day.

Why, why, the wind and the rain, why?grin

Slubberdegullion Wed 01-Jul-09 12:57:55

gha I have commenced metcheck checking for this weekend and rain rain rain rain and showers.

Bloody hell.

And the stupi arse tarp hasn't turned up yet that I ordered weeks ago.

And my breath smells fishy.

I am blaming it ALL on metcheck. the bastards.

Where are you going Wildy?

Deepdale in North Norfolk.

Where are you going, that is going to be wet this weekend? The forcast looks gorgeous.

Shouldn't laugh at the afflicted but grin @ fish breath.

Overmydeadbody Wed 01-Jul-09 13:15:44

I do this, but only from about four days before.

My ccamping trips are also usually climbing trips, and with climbing being so dependant on the weather we will often still metcheck at hourly intervals on the day, so we can go to the driest place grin

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand all the rain has gone and been replaced by a worrisome amount of big clouds......

OMDB, 4 days? Oh to have your restraint.grin

Slubberdegullion Wed 01-Jul-09 14:37:19

Wildy we have a little tour going on this weekend. Friday night we are pitching in a mates garden so we can sling the dds in there at bed time, have a lovely dinner party and then sling ourselves in afterwards.

Then we strike camp and head over into Wales to PILs who have land wink with sheep so can practice pitching on my own without crowds of people laughing and pointing as I stagger about and blaspheme.

I was imagining a homely, warm, kids running around in the nude, steak on the cobb type vibe going on. Instead it will be wet and muddy. balls.

Yay! Now it's all sunny and warm.gringringrin

Slubberdegullion Wed 01-Jul-09 20:14:42

I'm happy for you Wildy.

I still have showers and light rain. meh

blametheparents Wed 01-Jul-09 20:20:46

I was doing this last week before the school fair.
In fact I was looking at metcheck, and the BBC website and comparing and seeing which one had the best weather!
Luckily the weather was great and we made loads of money for the school grin

Oh it won't last, I fully expect hail and sleet tomorrow.

Maybe yours will pick up?[hopeful emoticon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now