Talk

Advanced search

share your camping food ideas that don't need freezing or refrigerating

(29 Posts)
supersalstrawberry Fri 26-Jun-09 22:49:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katymac Fri 26-Jun-09 23:25:43

Fry some onions in a pan, add baked beans, tinned pineapple (no juice) & hot dog sausages (you can use proper sausages) - cowboy casserole

Fry onions/mushrooms/peppers (garlic & coriander optional) add tins of chopped tomatoes (& chunks of ham?) - fabulous soup

Maybe?

stickybun Fri 26-Jun-09 23:31:30

Mayo or olive oil can be a good substitute for spreads and butter. If doing pasta based meal leave pasta to soak in cold water -takes much less time to cook. When doing one-pot meals time the addition of the different ingredients so that you have different textures rather than chucking lots of stuff in at the same time. Daily slop is rather discouraging. Toppings on things can be good - even if its only a sprinkling of breadcrumbs and cheese or herbs to create a gratin effect. Personally like to get a meal from window of posh restaurant and then recreate at camp for fraction of cost. Good to do if 'local produce' and farm shop is handy. If in doubt slosh a bit of wine in. try not to eat too much 'normal' bread as well - try to eat differently is the answer I think.

bumsrush Fri 26-Jun-09 23:34:49

I like those smoked sausages you get that you can boil in the bag or eat cold, I do pasta than stir through slices of pasta.

Also cous cous seems a good option.

The nan breads and pitta that you get suction packed they last longer than other bread products, good if there are no shops handy as bread seems to go off quicker in warm weather.

Watching thread with interest as I need ideas for festivals and family holidays.

phdlife Fri 26-Jun-09 23:37:53

instead of chunks of ham, use chunks of sausage and a tin of kidney beans, that's fab outdoors eating. Potatoes and cabbage work well in here too if you want to up the veggie content.

we make a lentil soup (onion, fresh red chilli, turmeric, red lentils, stock, boil, simmer, green beans, coconut milk, lemon and soy sauce to taste) but this is really best if you serve it over rice (ie, two pots).

paisleyleaf Fri 26-Jun-09 23:39:41

I've not tried it yet, but my friend uses that bottled pancake mix that you just add water and shake.....sounds fun, I might look at them when we next go.

bumsrush Fri 26-Jun-09 23:49:27

Oh like the idea of fresh pancakes for breakfast.

paisleyleaf Sat 27-Jun-09 00:13:45

bumsrush, I've not had those smoked sausages. Where are they in the supermarket? By the normal sausages?

I did a desperate meal once of adding couscous to a tin of chicken veg soup (it was a watery healthy low fat soup). And it came out nice.

bumsrush Sat 27-Jun-09 00:24:12

There seems to be two kinds that look identical one is in the fridge and has boiling and micro instructions, the other is on a stand inthe fridge aisle but not refrigerated and has no cooking instructions but I do it the same way and it is fine. Mattesons is one make

paisleyleaf Sat 27-Jun-09 00:28:49

Thanks, I'm going to look out for them smile

bumsrush Sat 27-Jun-09 00:36:09

They are good for a quick carbonara type thing, with a stir in carbonara sauce.

TheYearOfTheCatMPADist Sat 27-Jun-09 00:37:17

Pronto risotto.

I don't need to say anything else.

bumsrush Sat 27-Jun-09 00:47:54

Pot noodles wink.

paisleyleaf Sat 27-Jun-09 01:01:03

You can make things like chilli, curry etc in advance. Freeze them , then keep them stored in coolbox, reheat in a pan.

PrincessLayer Sat 27-Jun-09 03:11:19

pot noodle? grin

To serve 4

Fry some chicken in oil and a little soy and chilli dipping sauce, when cooked through add the straight to wok noodles for a couple of mintutes until cooked then leave to cool.

Chop 2 avacados, 2 apples and a heart of celery, miw with a small bag of pine nuts or cashews, and the chicken and noodles and a little more soy to taste.

Ta da 'Chicken Noodle Salad', this is one of our camping (and home) staples, kids tend to love it, but it does assume you are a bit of a food ponce like me and take things like chilli dipping sauce camping.gringrin

Also buy some 'Ainsley Harriott Citrus Kick Cous Cous' aand make the feta salad on the side of the packet, it's delish.

Soups Sat 27-Jun-09 08:15:12

Those flavored straight to wok rices, like Tilda. Can of chickpeas. There you go Add whatever veg, extra herbs, meat you want.

nikkid21 Sat 27-Jun-09 09:53:24

Dolmio stir in are a favourite as they take less space than glass jars. I add extra bacon to the tomato and bacon one or the carbonara one.

Don't forget to take / buy eggs. They don't need refidgerating but you can make omlettes or fritatta with leftover potatoes and veg.

We often just do jacket poatato in the campfire and top it with hotdogs and beans. You can also bake the part bake rolls in the campfire edges if you wrap them in foil first. Really nice to put your bangers in.

I can also reccomend beer can chicken done on a campfire. Stick a couple of cloves of garlic and an opened can of beer up the chicken's bum. Cover in a double layer of foil and prop (beer can up) upright in the campfire embers . 40 mins later you have roast chicken that is moist with crispy skin.

bigTillyMint Sat 27-Jun-09 17:47:54

Spicy couscous with sliced French sausage mixed in.

Pasta / curry sauces in jars, plus dry pasta / rice and just buy some meat / fish, etc to put in.

Lilymaid Sat 27-Jun-09 17:51:58

A tin of Cassoulet - pricey but different (well, apart from the sausage and beans bit).

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 27-Jun-09 18:04:18

katymac shock you cannot use proper sausages in any kind of cowboy dinner, it has to be hotdogs! (we used to have cowboy pie at school - beans, hotdogs, shortcrust pastry - my favourite grin

Beans and eggs on toast for brekky.

or

Go to army surplus store and buy ration packs grin

Katymac Sat 27-Jun-09 18:13:04

You can.....& fresh pineapple too

Try Tesco Red onion & pork sausages, fried red onion, fresh pineapple & homemade beans talk about heavenly food

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 27-Jun-09 18:16:26

but, but, but, thats like using 'proper' cheese on bbq burgers instead of fake plastic cheese, or real dijon mustard in hotdogs instead of squeezy american mustard shock.

Katymac Sat 27-Jun-09 18:18:59

AND ?

Mind you, I'd use heinz beans if I were camping

duckyfuzz Sat 27-Jun-09 18:19:06

couscous, omelettes, bacon sarnies are our camping staples

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now