Talk

Advanced search

OK - I think I know what sort of shape tent we want, now I need help picking a secific model, and a frigde & a bed

(33 Posts)
Katymac Fri 26-Jun-09 20:22:46

Dh is 6ft 2 so we need a high in the middle tent with a bed bit at either end, maybe a 6 person tent (for 3 of us regularly & 4 for this holiday). It has to be fairly easy to put up & not have too many guy ropes.

Will we be able to take our gazebo?

We also need a fridge - can anyone recommend a make or model to look at? I think it will have to be gas.

& finally I need a decent bed - we are looking at old fashioned Zed beds which are now apparently called 'guest' beds. Or is there something else that will pack up small? (a camp bed won't be supportive enough & I have a ruber allergy so no blow up beds sad)

Can I just say that everyone on the camping section has been so helpful & supportive of our first venture into camping - be sure that if we hate camping we will be selling what ever we bought on here wink so recommend very good stuff

Slubberdegullion Fri 26-Jun-09 21:07:24

Something like this? You want guys, the more guys the better, guys stop your tent blowing away grin

Check with the campsite re gazebo, some may charge you extra. Some site don't like em as they act like very large, impressive kites if not tied down well.

Can't help with the bed or fridge I'm afraid.

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:11:51

I was going to recommend the Iowa or the Michigan which is more expensive but with a porch bit

Some sites don't allow gazebo type affairs at all, always best to check.

Lilyloo Fri 26-Jun-09 21:12:22

The vango tigris or outwell montana get good reviews on here

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:13:42

Camping beds are called cots for some reason - I tried one of these out (just out of interest) in a shop recently - soooo comfy grin

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:16:04

Or you could go for a hammock

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:19:52

I notice that a lot of the cots seem to stop at 5ft8/6ft so your DH would have his feet hanging off the end!

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:22:33

I wonder if you can get memory foam beds over here

Katymac Fri 26-Jun-09 21:25:02

Memory foam looks good - would there be a condensation issue if it were on the floor?

Hammock no good - I have tried

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:27:23

Chuck a picnic blanket under it and air it during the day I would think it would be OK. I'm liking the look of this one now grin (can you tell I'm bored)

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:32:15

I found this on Amazon, not sure if that would be thick enough on its own - I have no experience of memory foam <sadly>

Katymac Fri 26-Jun-09 21:32:58

I like this

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:33:27

OMG they do sleeping bags!!

EachPeachPearMum Fri 26-Jun-09 21:34:37

Oh Washersaurus... that luxury cot looks fabulous! I am v sleepy now...
Where was it from (where you tried it)?

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:35:56

We went to Attwoolls and they had one out, I couldn't resist. If it wasn't that exact model it was very similar. Looked like it would take up quite a bit of packing room though.

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 21:43:14

For gas fridges, DH says Waeco are good. There are lots here

EachPeachPearMum Fri 26-Jun-09 21:55:01

Thanks!

Katymac Fri 26-Jun-09 22:56:26

I foresee many tedious happy weeks hours shopping

Thanks

Soups Sat 27-Jun-09 08:11:59

Vango Tigris 800 or Khyam Ontario 8 would def fit you all in. You can get porch extensions for both.

What about self inflating mats? I don't know what they're made of (I'm sure you'd want to check) but it's not the same as airbeds. You'd need a 5cm one, they're much more comfy than they look.

nikkid21 Sat 27-Jun-09 09:59:25

It's expensive but I can reccomend the Outwell Florida 6 in terms of head height and space. It has special small doors at the bottom to let your ehu for the fridge into the tent. You wouldn't need to take a gazebo either as you have the awning built in.

Have a look here

Katymac Sat 27-Jun-09 10:18:56

I picked up 2 tents from Tesco but when I got home I realised they aren't waterproof enough - so they are going back

DH & I are going tent shopping later this afternoon

We will look at those models

Washersaurus Sat 27-Jun-09 11:27:13

However nice, I don't think I would put the Florida in the 'easy to put up' category - that thing is freaking enormous! Also not vis-a-vis sleeping. All Outwells have openings etc for EHU cables I do believe; our Montana does anyway.

<Very envy of nikki's tenting mansion>

nikkid21 Sat 27-Jun-09 13:46:53

It's not that much different in size from the Montana if you look at the footprint.

We found it easy to put up - 45 mins on he first go plus another half hour of dh faffing around making the guy ropes were straight.

VanillaPumpkin Sat 27-Jun-09 15:43:43

I love my Vango tigris 800....

Lucycat Sat 27-Jun-09 16:59:31

I don't think that the Florida is all that different to the Monty tbh Most tunnel tents have decent hed height. My dh is a asimilar height and his personal hate would be not to be able to stand up in the bedroom section so ours in great - but expensive for a first tent.

oh and gazebos kill other peoples tents in a storm - get a day tent instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now