Talk

Advanced search

SHELL ISLAND, who has been, what do I need to know?

(21 Posts)
supersalstrawberry Thu 25-Jun-09 21:39:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Am watching too, this is on my campsite list.

EachPeachPearMum Fri 26-Jun-09 07:14:32

the only time we went... it was fukk so we went to a lovely site across the road with a river running alongside it...
but would still like to go to shell island...

bramblebooks Fri 26-Jun-09 07:21:20

We went 10 years ago. Well, DH, the dog and DS1 went. I stayed in a B&B with DS2 across the causeway grin

From what I remember it's wild and woolly - would give it another go though.

There's a great campsite just along the coast from abersoch, it's such a beautiful place round there - hell's mouth was great for surfing.

grin@ it was fukk, not a good review....

EachPeachPearMum Fri 26-Jun-09 13:05:06

blush that was one handed bf ds this morning! grin
I meant full of course....
I would love to camp right by the beach...

Slubberdegullion Fri 26-Jun-09 13:07:52

<snooort> @ it was fukk

Eachpeach getting all street on us campers there.

I want to go (to Shell Island) but not in August, and absolutely not ever never on August BH. the reviews for Aug BH re the loos give me an ooey.

maggie61 Fri 26-Jun-09 14:53:16

We went August 2007, had a great time, ds 12 years old found a group of pals to hang around with, dd 4 years loved the huge sand dunes and great beach.
We did have our own toilet tent ,so that meant we avoided the famous portoloos.
The showers did have about 15 mins wait for ladies not as bad for men.
We loved at and came back really chilled out, it was good to have so much space from surrounding campers, with the 20 metre rule.It is a different experience to other sites but well worth it in my opinion.

Lucycat Fri 26-Jun-09 17:26:09

It's really windy as the gales blow across Porthmadog bay - and when the sun shines and you go onto the dunes then the sand stings your legs and there were lots of washed up jellyfish.

Park your car upwind to give you some protection - we've stayed for 2 nights - not for me I'm afraid as I am a camping snob grin

oh and i like trees with my tenting.

Washersaurus Fri 26-Jun-09 20:43:37

Shell Island is on our campsite list too - I will definitely be getting a porta-potty type thing beforehand though judging by reviews...and possibly give up showering grin

supersalstrawberry Fri 26-Jun-09 22:45:20

kentmumtj Sat 27-Jun-09 01:09:44

wheres shell island?

EachPeachPearMum Sat 27-Jun-09 09:47:43

Wales... near Llanbedr... here

Lucycat Sat 27-Jun-09 16:55:14

well sal I like a bit of order on a campsite - I don't like it when guy lines nearly cross (despite the rules), I like clean showers and toilets, not too many tattoos, not too many white vans with generators in the back to power the sound system, I hate 15 pole windbreaks creating corrales around 4 tenst all facing each other...see I am a camping snob.grin

The Dutch/French however know how to camp - they don't treat it as a cheap holiday but more as a way of life.

bigTillyMint Sat 27-Jun-09 17:43:39

I went about 12 years ago, one August and it was VERY wet - lucky my aunt and uncle had a trailer tent we could all squeeze into! They went with their children and then grandchildren, every summer.

You can camp away from the facilities and back then, it felt quite wild and woolly, but maybe it's changed? wink

cornsilk Sat 27-Jun-09 18:00:21

I want to go to Shell City.

supersalstrawberry Sat 27-Jun-09 22:53:57

EachPeachPearMum Sun 28-Jun-09 08:40:00

lucycat- we need a list of where is safe to go then! grin

Lucycat Sun 28-Jun-09 10:54:24

mmm well it was in my experience - the beach is stunning, but coastal sites tend to attract a different type of clientele than inland ones.

Unless you go somewhere like this! although the big advert for midge nets and hat nets on their home page is rather disconcerying. One day we'll make it this far north.

supersalstrawberry Sun 28-Jun-09 16:39:20

julienoshoes Sun 28-Jun-09 21:12:25

I love Shell Island.

But would only camp there if I was sure of good weather

Can't think of anything more miserable than being that open to the sea in bad weather.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now