Talk

Advanced search

Sallystrawberry wants to go camping in the lake district - can anyone recommend a good campsite

(15 Posts)
supersalstrawberry Thu 25-Jun-09 13:19:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Slubberdegullion Thu 25-Jun-09 13:26:28

We stayed at Eskdale at half term.

Small site (2 fields), Tents (and small campervans) only, good site shop selling excellent local bacon and sausages and fancy bread. clean loos & showers.

We liked it.

Oh yes 2 pubs within 5 mins walk, one selling takeout beer in 2 pint cartons.

Slubberdegullion Thu 25-Jun-09 13:28:49

Fisherground, just down the road from our site, also comes highly recommended as you can have campfires there.

MumtoCharlieandLola Thu 25-Jun-09 13:44:59

Hello, we have just stayed here www.thequietsite.co.uk/ in Ullswater, it was lovely.

supersalstrawberry Thu 25-Jun-09 13:59:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wohmum Thu 25-Jun-09 22:21:53

Does fisherground get full durign school hols? The website says we can't book but just turn up, but we'll need to go in school hols and travel up from London..

fatzak Fri 26-Jun-09 08:13:26

We went to Fisherground last year and it was heaving. At the time we enjoyed it, but having been to much quieter places, I don't think we'd go back.

Wohmum - we didn't get to Fisherground until tea time during half term and literally got the last pitch! If you get there early you should be ok - just don't faff around like we did grin

Friend of mine went to the Eskdale site at Easter and says it was one of the best she's ever stayed on.

Fennel Fri 26-Jun-09 11:40:06

Our favourites are Wasdale head (quiet, beautiful, no cars on site, few facilities, lots of trees and streams), Coniston Hall (busy, but right on the beach, good for childrne to play, excellent for watersports, and Side Farm at Ullswater (right by lake, again good for watersports and little beaches, not too busy or noisy).

Mummyisamonster Fri 26-Jun-09 20:35:50

We stayed at Eskdale over Whitsun, in a camping pod (plenty enough room for 4 of us plus baggage)and it was fabulous. Would highly recommend.

Child-frinedly, clean, friendly, stunning scenery. Muncaster Castle a must.

Only gripe for me was it is a mighty trek from London (8 hours) shock

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Fri 26-Jun-09 20:42:02

We have stayed at fisherground but it was a number of years back - we had a camp fire and a walk to the pub and it was a lovely area. The toilets were full of daddly long legs and long hairs. My fave site in the lakes is limefitt park outside of windermere. The toilet block is immaculate and even has hairdryers (can you tell how i rate my sites!!). Pooley bridge parkfoot is also a good site with oodles of pubs at hand but can be rowdy at busy times.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 27-Jun-09 01:19:18

The Nationl Trust site at Langdale is supposed to be good, plus it's near to the Old Dungeon Ghyll which is just possibly one of my favourite pubs in the world. (walkers' bar with real ales...)

Plus the Britannia at Elterwater is my other favourite pub, near the Langdale valley. <nostalgic>

And the Drunken Duck near Ambleside is fab. Excellent food.

OK, not all campsites, grin but might be useful for a trip up there smile

Rialentless Mon 29-Jun-09 13:31:23

There's a NT site near Ambleside at Wray Castle. Love it (and come to think of it we're due another trip there).

Rialentless Mon 29-Jun-09 13:32:19

it would maybe be within walking distance of the Drunken Duck IIRCsmile

Rialentless Mon 29-Jun-09 13:33:47

here

Blu Mon 29-Jun-09 15:04:45

Sally, I haven't stayed at any of these (I get a cottage in the Lakes as we go in the colder months) but have walked through them all, and they seem v nice.

Gillside, Glenridding Site is on the bank of a lovely beck. Good walks right from the campsite, close to village with reasonable pub and places to eat, 2 grocery shops, Steamer Trips etc.

by Brothers Water This has a nice pub by the gate, and again lovely walks from the site. is bigger (and flatter!) than Gillside, and further from shops, but easy drive over Kirkstone to Ambleside etc, or to Ullswater.

Side Farm, Ullswater has little beaches directly on Ullswater, very VERY scenic, idyllic location, some looks quite sloping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now