Talk

Advanced search

What does 'flame retardent' mean in terms of tenting?

(9 Posts)

Mine claims to be, and I have seen it often in descriptions, and while I am not going to test this theory, I am positive that if I put a match to it it will go up in a puff of smoke.

So what does it mean? Does it just give you and extra 30 second to evacuate or something?

Slubberdegullion Thu 25-Jun-09 12:55:26

I think it means it will melt and shrivel like a Shrinkie rather than go up in a ball of flames (a la Alan's tent)

Ooooh I remember shrinkies, so if the worst should ever happen then at least I will be able attach a pin and wear my Monty as a reminder.

Slubberdegullion Thu 25-Jun-09 13:00:50

yes indeed, or you could allow a gerbil to gain valuable camping experince in it.

<brushes over the physics of the steel poles not also shrinking>

daisydancer Thu 25-Jun-09 13:13:32

I think that's the thing, just a bit longer to escape!

Slubberdegullion Thu 25-Jun-09 13:18:10

We will all die a fiery death in the cabanon, hence me sleeping with a knife under my pillow.

Roffling @ the idea of gukcs,

'Can anyone recomend a tent with plenty of room for my exercise wheel?'

'Best cooker for toasting sunflower seeds?'

'SIGS, I'm a burrowing rodent, do I really need one?'

And <<whispers>> Slubber, I'm not sure a sharp pointy thing is an idea fire fighting tool.winkgrin

Slubberdegullion Thu 25-Jun-09 13:49:24

LOLOL

I can tell you now that you wouldn't want a sig if you were a camping rodent, claws would go straight through it.

daisydancer Thu 25-Jun-09 14:27:40

Just to say it's interesting that using flame retardant on fabrics in a theatre makes an enormous difference. Are we sure it wouldn't make any difference to a canvas tent?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now