Talk

Advanced search

tell me about camping stoves plse !!

(17 Posts)
loubylou66 Thu 25-Jun-09 07:35:54

Are they fiddly and complicated to set up ? Never done it before and will be on own with DS1 (although part of a bigger group IYKWIM).All this stuff about regulators and high pressure/low pressure hoses, sizes of bottle etc is really worrying me ! I am looking at the Campinggaz lagon (A double burner without grill), any experience of this too would be really helpful...Also what do you rest stove on ? Can it just go on the grass ? Thanks very much, Louise

loubylou66 Thu 25-Jun-09 16:41:46

Bump ! Anyone ?

funnypeculiar Thu 25-Jun-09 16:47:35

<hangs about, fiddling hopelessly with reg>

I'm sure someone will be along later who will be more helpful.

I can tell you only this.

It is fine to put the stove on the grass.

We have a Camping Gas Camping chef and a bottle of gas that is something like a 907. I am blush to admit that I have never connected it all up, but it does look easy when dp does it and takes no time at all.

juicychops Thu 25-Jun-09 18:06:39

ive got just a little 1 hob gas stove from Asda £10. not used it yet but it only uses the little gas cans rather than a cylinder. it was £5 for a pack of 4. they prob dont last long each one though but enough just for me and ds for 3 nights

loubylou66 Thu 25-Jun-09 19:04:36

Thanks everyone, never actually been camping before. I will obviously have to practice in advance so I don't look a complete twit
blush !. Just worrying that the stuff is flammable or is that inflammable!

JetLi Fri 03-Jul-09 07:16:45

I've always been chuffed with our Cadac (although the price on my link is considerably more than we paid I'm sure - seems bloody extortionate hmm).
I like it because it has a griddle, BBQ and a wok and if you use the wok upside down as a lid, it turns into a little oven. Now you couldn't, say, roast a chicken in the oven but I've used it for part-baked bread and for warming croissants and such. Ours takes Coleman gas (so canisters with the screw fixing) which can be a problem abroad where Camping Gaz abounds.

Lisaannb Fri 03-Jul-09 16:28:16

We have the Cadac too and think it is fab. Use it for everything it is brilliant and all we take with us now

AitchTwoOh Fri 03-Jul-09 22:02:40

jetli, for basic boiling, how does the cadac work, could you describe it please?

JetLi Sat 04-Jul-09 11:03:47

Hi Aitch - on the picture link, the bottom three-legged bit has a regular gas ring on it, with a 3 arm support so you'd use that bit for your kettle/pan (leaving all the other attachments off). Then working upwards the next bit is the BBQ, then the next two bits are flat and ribbed griddle (which is one thing - ribbed on one side and flat on the other), and lastly the lid/wok. This picture is a bit bigger and maybe a bit clearer.
HTH smile

madamy Sat 04-Jul-09 17:07:46

We've got the Campingaz Lagon and it's dead easy to set up! You need to buy a hose and regulator separately. All you need to do is attach one end of the hose to the stove and the other with the regulator to a campingaz bottle - it just screws on. Then all you have to do is turn the supply on to the stove using the button on the regulator.

AitchTwoOh Sat 04-Jul-09 20:59:39

oooooh, i like the look of that, jetli. (and lisalisa). what does it run on, are those the little butane cartridges that cost a fiver for four?

JetLi Sun 05-Jul-09 16:27:04

No - not the little butane ones - you'll need Coleman screw-on ones like this. When you unscrew them, they re-seal. I think some other brands have screw threads (but not Camping Gaz). smile

AitchTwoOh Sun 05-Jul-09 20:40:27

cheers. sorry to keep asking you questions but as we still have no cooking equipment this is uppermost in my mind...

how long does that 500g one last roughly?

do you know how that fuel compares to the big bomb and hosepipe arrangement?

do you do all your cooking on it or do you have something else too?

what kinda things do you cook?

JetLi Mon 06-Jul-09 21:36:59

Gosh now there's a question - we've never yet bought a new gas bottle for it - we got 2 x 500g ones when we bought the stove and one is still full, the other partially so. We've never done the big bomb/hosepipe arrangement - you have to buy a different model for that (there's an HP and an LP version of the Cadac - high pressure and low pressure - the gas is different for each). As well as this I have a Coleman F1 lite thingy which is literally just a teeny tiny gas burner that screws onto the same Coleman gas bottle - saves unpacking the Cadac when all you want to do is boil the kettle to make a brew. It lives in a pouch that's 1 inch by 3 inches - tiny little thing. Mostly we tend to use the Cadac to BBQ and to griddle to do cooked breakfasts when we're camping, or do a bit of pasta so the Cadac does us fine. There's only 2 of us at the moment (soon to be 3), so not heavy duty cooking. I guess the thing to be aware of is that's theres only 1 gas "ring" so you could be juggling saucepans a bit.

AitchTwoOh Tue 07-Jul-09 10:45:16

yes, but i was thinking i'd just spend a tenner on another burner as well. will have a look at the coleman thing, it sounds ideal.

AitchTwoOh Tue 07-Jul-09 10:45:47

by which i also mean... thank you for taking the time to answer. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now