Talk

Advanced search

The Camping and Caravan Club

(28 Posts)
MrsGokWan Wed 24-Jun-09 12:35:29

Is it worth joining? Do you really get many benefits from it? Just had a look on thier site and it is only £36 per annum, so not too much, but that is money that could go towards more camping stuff grin or DC1 new shoes [raises eyes to heaven emoticon]

JonathonRipplesnipples Wed 24-Jun-09 13:19:25

I've joined this year for the first time (it was a birthday gift)
Jury is still out atm. Ive booked 2 sites online through them but haven't been yet.
I'm not struck with it tbh yet...flicked through the magazine yesterday...nothing special. The feel of it is that it is caravanny dominated.
<<tries to think of other benefits>>

chevre Wed 24-Jun-09 13:27:09

we accidently joined teh caravaning club (long story involving campervan insurance). i was disappointed that dh did not get free kneesocks and jesus sandals but you do get a good discount on some sites. depends how much you camp. you also get a nice wee book with ltos of nice sites in it.

incidently i don;t even like caravan club sites - far to cat bums face for my liking.

MrsGokWan Wed 24-Jun-09 13:36:03

PMSL at cat bums face grin

We will only be camping 2 or 3 times this year but intend to do lots more next year.

Even if we are in a tent is it worth joining the Caravan Club as well??

Or just do the one this year and see how it goes?

Johnathan hope your trips go well, let us know what the sites are like.

bumsrush Wed 24-Jun-09 15:10:35

I joinde the caravan club just because I wasn't prepared to pay an extra £7 a night as a non member

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Wed 24-Jun-09 15:14:37

We've been members 5 years now

The sites we used have been mostly OK, ione decidedly NOT imvho, but we find it ahndy ansd saves you money

certificated sites are fab in my limites experience, the big green book is full of them

MrsGokWan Wed 24-Jun-09 18:45:30

Thanks for the tip Bumsrush.

Did you complain to the C&CC Peachy?

I must admit it is the money saving thing that does it for me.

LilRedWG Wed 24-Jun-09 18:53:29

We saved about £25 on a week at Christchurch in Gloucestershire - so practically made it back in one trip. Worth it in my eyes.

Peachy - good to know about the certificated sites. BTW, did you see my post of Tue 09-Jun-09 21:11:14 on this thread? blush

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Wed 24-Jun-09 19:11:53

Oh I missed it Lil

We have 4 kids but next time you're there let me know- it's only 20 minutes away from home anyway LOL

We're there in August also, cant wait grin

nikkid21 Wed 24-Jun-09 19:13:11

I've just got free c&cc membership by subscribing to camping magazine for a year. It will cost me £27.96 which is a £10 saving on membership plus I get a magazine delivered every month.

Don't quite know how the membership gets activated as only subscribed today.

Link is here for anyone interested

seeker Wed 24-Jun-09 19:15:07

We are members of the Camping and Caravanning Club - we use a lot of the certificated sites. The Caravanning Club won't accept out unconverted van.

MrsGokWan Wed 24-Jun-09 19:15:30

That's cool LilRed. So 2 bookings a year and you have made your money back, gotta be worth joining as we ate looking at quite a few next year.

Iremember the thread, I am glad you didn't let the trolls drive you away.

Heated Wed 24-Jun-09 20:15:31

I think we belong to both! blush

In the last couple of years we used quite a few CLs, some of the award-winning ones are really lovely & last summer's beach holiday only cost us £80. We've also used some of their own sites for weekend breaks but this year we've had less time to get away and only used commercial sites, so actually it's been a waste of money. The ILs do their caravan insurance through them, book sites through them, get technical advice etc

mammyknowsbest Wed 24-Jun-09 20:24:15

Thanks for sharing that Nikkid21 will sign up for it tonight. We went camping as a family for the first time last year and loved it. We've been bitten by the bug grin I have also wondered about the C&C club and have decided to join. Can't wait for the summer hols now.

MrsGokWan Wed 24-Jun-09 21:38:21

Right that's decided it, I'm joining the C&CC tonight grin

Cheers ladies.

LilRedWG Thu 25-Jun-09 08:28:57

It's only an hour for us Peachy - we're in Bromsgrove on Worcestershire.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 25-Jun-09 08:45:53

T'other way then, we're on South Wales borders.

Do let us know- and some of us are looking at organising a camping meet up either in the midlands or christchurch next year BTW.

Went to a wedding in Bromsgrove a few eyars back <<muses>>- loveliest one we ever attended, candlelit service with homammde buffer, wonderful (sorry LOL, reminiscing)

Peabody Thu 25-Jun-09 08:52:46

I reckon if you're going to stay in any C & CC sites, it's definitely worth joining because of the reduced prices.

MrsGokWan Thu 25-Jun-09 11:10:28

Joined last night ladies, am now a fully paid up member grin

Would be interested in a camping meet as well.

MrsGokWan Thu 25-Jun-09 11:19:03

Actually I've just had a thought, Peachy could bring her Cobb and give demonstrations to those OH's who are to tight careful with their money to fork out for one and show how wonderful it is and how no serious camper should be without one grin

And all those with must have essentials like the Fat Airics etc. can do the same grin

MrsGokWan Thu 25-Jun-09 11:24:26

Bugger Nikkid I missed your link sorry, didn't think to check for any money saving offers arrgh!! call my self a money saver grr!! <slaps herself>

LilRedWG Thu 25-Jun-09 11:28:27

Definitely up for a meetup!

PortBlacksandResident Thu 25-Jun-09 11:51:39

We deliberately avoid any where a rally might be on. Too many flags and well, caravan talk <yawn>.

Deffo not joined - we are being about as rebellious as you can be in a caravan.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 25-Jun-09 12:51:12

Ah but you see the campers and caravanners dont get ono

and the childless ones don't like the children

and they all write strict letters dontcha know?

I love the sites, and never have met any emmerbs I didnt like but from the magazine the friendly club is title they should not be using without a massice reythink of the image the mag puts over

PortBlacksandResident Thu 25-Jun-09 12:54:41

I do however get the magazine second hand and i have to agree Peachy. And there's usually two old farts sitting down in beige with a sweet sherry on the cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now