Talk

Advanced search

Hollands Wood campsite- New Forest

(13 Posts)
usernametaken Tue 23-Jun-09 11:12:41

Has anyone stayed here?

Last summer we drove past Hollands Wood and thought it looked lovely...so I've just booked it for next weekend!

Do we need to get there early to get a decent pitch? Can you recommend any pitches? Is it suitable for DD to take her bike, are there places she can ride and we can walk near by?

Any places you recommend visiting?

Glitterknickaz Tue 23-Jun-09 11:41:13

I'd love to go there - but they don't accept dogs unfortunately.

Soups Tue 23-Jun-09 11:58:28

It's a very nice site, lots of kids take their bikes.

We went on a very busy bank holiday (weather was good) and I arrived early Friday afternoon. Glad I did, after 5pm the choice of pitch was getting limited.

I've stayed there and it is a lovely site, ponies wondering through. Box your food up good as we were frequently raided by squirrels in the tent!

We got there on a Saturday and had to wait unti whatever time it is that they deem yo uare allowed to go on and find a pitch. There were lots of people waiting and then when the gate was opened it was like a stampede. There weren't many pitches left and you end up being very close to your neighbours. Keep to the right if you can as you are further away from the road. There is more space on the left though so not as crowded. Guess the road's not too busy so pros and cons I guess.

scrappydappydoo Tue 23-Jun-09 12:34:27

usenametaken - do you this weekend coming or the weekend after??? We're going on Friday grin

usernametaken Tue 23-Jun-09 21:40:23

Scrappy-Not this weekend, the one after.
Have a great weekend!

Looster Fri 26-Jun-09 21:46:29

love to hear how you find it - we are going late July! glitterknickaz - am sure it says on website that dogs are allowed and that there are dog showers!

There were dogs there when we were there, was a few years ago.

mumtoallgirls Sat 27-Jun-09 21:15:55

We're going on the 11th july, our first ever camping trip with our girls... scrappydappydoo, would love to hear how u get on.

nikkid21 Sun 28-Jun-09 08:24:48

Haven't been for the last 2 years since they went c&cc run & started charging extra for children (before it was one price all in per pitch)

It's actually based on an old army airfield so there are roads and aircraft turning circles for kids to ride bikes on.

If you get an OS map there is a disused railway track that takes you from the campsite to Burley. It's a nice walk / cycle to the pub and back (a few miles if I remember).

It used to get quite busy with big groups. We always uded to go as far back from the entrance and shop as possible. Go in, turn right at the roundabout past both sets of shower blocks and keep going. Generally a little quieter there as it's a long trek to the loo.

nikkid21 Sun 28-Jun-09 08:29:57

If anyone is there on the weekend of 8th August please keep an eye out for my sister. She's 21, never been camping and taking my 2 kids off there with her boyfriend for that weekend.
As a couple they are at the wanting to play happy famillies stage. I think that putting a tent up and dealing with my 2 may be the perfect test of their need to play at being grown ups grin

Kbear Sun 28-Jun-09 20:21:07

Are you confusing Holland Wood with Holmsley? I think Holmsley was previously an airfield not Holland Wood. Holmsley MUCH bigger too.

usernametaken Sun 28-Jun-09 20:34:19

We've just got back from Holland's Wood. We had to change our weekend due to DD being invited to a party that she just (apparently) couldn't miss!

My first impressions of the campsite were not good. It just seemed huge and cramped with far too many people. We found a pitch right at the far end of the campsite where it was much quieter...and we loved it!

DD got to ride her bike (and managed to get herself lost), she could ride into the forest, run into the forest and explore the woods. She was in her element.

The toilet/washing/dish washing facilities were excellent considering the amount of campers there. We only had a 2minute walk to our nearest block...not a problem at all.

The wild ponies made themselves known and DH had to wrestle his breakfast from a very confident horse- we learnt from a ranger that flicking water at them drives them off...we wish we'd known that when we'd arrived as DH was hassled for 20mins before a ranger came! I was too busy taking photos of him to help! lol

We don't have a dog but we noticed dogs of all sizes there, plus wild ponies, squirrels and cows!

Take a mallet for banging in tent pegs as the ground can be quite hard in places.

So overall, a lovely campsite in a fantastic location with clean facilities and hot water! It is very family orientated, clean and basic. We will be back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now