Talk

Advanced search

Help me cater for my camping expedition

(23 Posts)
flatcapandpearls Wed 17-Jun-09 21:50:07

I am taking some students camping and will be catering for the adults ( 7 adults) and our own children.( 2 children) One of whom ( dp is a very fussy eater but I will just make him live on hotdogs)

I have a barbeque and camping stove and need ideas for simple but filling meals.

flatcapandpearls Wed 17-Jun-09 22:31:04

anyone I can see you campers oon other threads so I know you are around.

specialmagiclady Wed 17-Jun-09 23:15:18

Confess I have invested in Cool Camping cook book which features some one-pot meals. They include:

Porridge, omelette (various), ramen noodle soup, stock fondue, ratatouille, scrambled egg with various additions.

Not sure if that's helpful.

I will be bringing pot of mince for first night (to be served with rolls). MMmmmm... mince on a roll!

Also will take tins of cannellini or butter beans and chorizo for my favourite chorizo & beans (add stock cube and copious red wine. Yum!

Hope that helps.

PandaG Wed 17-Jun-09 23:26:57

yummy and quite easy:

stir fry your choice of veg - mange tout and spring onions and baby corn I usually use, add strips of smoked salmon and fry briefly (salmon trim good for this, and cheap). Mix with hot cooked pasta (use fresh as it cooks quicker) and double cream, bubble and serve. Takes 20 min tops. Good with a green salad.

I like this as is proper food but it easy to do, if you only have one ring you can cook pasta first, then reheat it when you stir through the cream and veg.

PandaG Wed 17-Jun-09 23:30:34

pasta and pesto with salad. filling, quick and easy!

we do a lot of meals we would cook at home tbh, chilli, curry, spag bol type stuff.

We often take at least one meal frozen - is usually defrosted to reheat on day 2 and keeps other food cold in the coolbox.

flatcapandpearls Wed 17-Jun-09 23:32:16

I have a cool camping book, not sure if it is the cooking one though

PandaG Wed 17-Jun-09 23:33:01

oh - pudding when a bit chilly - McVities ginger cake or golden syrup cake slab, in large slice covered in instant custard - the add boiling water and stir stuff!

flatcapandpearls Wed 17-Jun-09 23:34:09

lol at mnince in a roll, like the sound of chorizo and beans no wine wllowed on a school residential though.

Love the salmon recipe Panda - will check my budget!

TheMadHouse Wed 17-Jun-09 23:35:43

We always take frozen bolegnease for day 2.

I also have a steamer, so do new potatoes and veg, with some sort of fish or meat - my children are strange and instist on veg hmm

Noodles - with loads of veg

srir fry

hotdogs

curry and rice.

We have a 2 ring stove, so can do most things with the steamer and another pan!!

flatcapandpearls Wed 17-Jun-09 23:36:53

Yes I have a 2 ring one but have never cooked for that many before.

PandaG Wed 17-Jun-09 23:38:59

can do the salmon recipe with chicken instead if you like, in exactly the same way. I usually decide on the day whether to do chicken or salmon - depends if salmon is on offer or trim available. You don't need loads of salmon though, as the flavour is strong it goes a long way

TheMadHouse Wed 17-Jun-09 23:39:49

Cornbeef hash - potatoes either overcooked news or olds mashed up with cornbeef and either beans or tinned toms

Or fish hash - overcook a load of new pots, then cook with spring onions in a little oil and add the white fish

These are dishes that can feed loads - serve with chrusty bread and a large salad

PandaG Wed 17-Jun-09 23:40:51

(obv you make sure chicken properly cooked through not just heated a bit as per the salmon)

flatcapandpearls Wed 17-Jun-09 23:42:29

The cornbeef hash would feed everyone even do, so that would be good.

I love playing mum so am really looking forward to it.

TheMadHouse Wed 17-Jun-09 23:49:24

I used to be in a Marching band as a child and corn beef hash was an overnight staple on a big stove with a cauldren type thing.

It is so nostalgic - I love feeding it to my children when we camp blush

flatcapandpearls Wed 17-Jun-09 23:49:54

We have it at home as comfort food.

muffle Thu 18-Jun-09 00:00:39

Cous cous is great for camping - do it in a large tupperware thing with a lid, you just add the boiling water and put the lid on and leave it for 10 mins (with seasoning, bit of stock powder etc) then stir in some butter or oil. You can meanwhile fry some veg and stir it in, or do separate meat or fish (eg chicken or salmon fried or poached on cooker) and quick-cooking veg eg broccoli.

Sausages obviously - can fry or do on a disposable bbq - put in hot dog rolls, loads of relish, and make a bean salad made by mixing a few different kinds of beans and sweetcorn from tins and fresh chopped pepper / parsley. (You can get tins of mixed bean salad in vinaigrette so if you use that as a base you don't have to worry about dressing either.)

Do a big pot of pasta, in another pan fry chopped onions and bacon, and also possibly some mushrooms, shredded cabbage or courgettes - takes 10 mins. When cooked, stir them all together with a large tub of philadelphia until it's melted.

flatcapandpearls Thu 18-Jun-09 00:08:38

Thanks muffle had forgotten about cous cous.

bumsrush Thu 18-Jun-09 22:03:06

My advice is to make sure you have big enough pots (its bad enough catering for 6 with silly little pots) and a folding table or something to work on.

flatcapandpearls Fri 19-Jun-09 17:36:47

We have just bought an additional camping table, I wonder if I should pack some pans from home. About to set off.

bumsrush Fri 19-Jun-09 23:09:16

Well if you are cooking for 9 people (ok 2 are kids) you will need a big enough pot for pasta/ rice/ potatos etc and poss second large pot if you are cooking other stuff to go with first pot load. Little camping ones don't work. People will be eating more if they are out in the fresh air all day.

Also consider if you need a decent size mixingbowl or plastic jug for making anything up. Kettle for tea as water boiled in pot after dinner is bogging.

flatcapandpearls Sun 21-Jun-09 11:43:08

Just got back , the pans we had were find as we mostly used the barbeque. A friend recommended some recipes she had seen in a magazine. Had chorizo, mini sausage and pepper kebabs, some couscous with almonds, mint and some spice and garlic bread with tomato and mozzarella.

bumsrush Mon 22-Jun-09 13:39:24

Sounds yummy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now