Talk

Advanced search

Electric cool boxes?

(14 Posts)
Badgermoose Tue 16-Jun-09 11:02:28

We had our first family camping trip over the bank holiday and it was FANTASTIC! So, we're planning more over the summer. We've got a cool bag but its pretty hopeless so am planning to buy a new one and was wondering if it was worth getting an electric one or just getting a big solid one and more ice blocks. Gadgetboy DP is convinced only an electric one will do but I was wondering if they were really worth the extra? (especially as I am now lusting after lots of other camping bitsgrin)

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 11:05:45

Would just get a huge non electric coolbox and bags of ice.

Did this a couple of weeks ago, kept important things like wine beer milk and butter chilled grin

janinlondon Tue 16-Jun-09 11:10:58

I have just bought a Coleman Xtreme in the hope that it will keep stuff cold for longer than the bog standard Argos type one we have been struggling with. We are rarely at EHU sites, so fingers crossed! The reviews are quite good.....

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 11:14:33

We've got the Coleman Extreme and it's fantastic, still had frozen ice in it after 4 days of 29c heat!

MumHadEnough Tue 16-Jun-09 12:34:49

I got the one from Aldi this week, it was £34.99 and has both mains and 12v points.

I've only tested it out at home and it does seem fab but have read plenty of other opinions on it and everyone seems happy with it!

janinlondon Tue 16-Jun-09 12:41:07

Flappy am SO pleased to hear this! Have forwarded your post to my (previously somewhat sceptical) DH!

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 14:00:03

My dh was shocked when he saw the size of it and moaned that it would take up too much room on our roof rack, doesn't complain now when his beer is still cold after several days in the cool box!

janinlondon Tue 16-Jun-09 14:08:54

DH has emailed me back and said "If Flappy says so, then I suppose we MUST have one??" Quite right.

Yeni Tue 16-Jun-09 14:15:07

Which size do you have, Flappy?

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 14:17:06

will just go and check as can't remember if it's the 76 or 100lt version

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 14:24:58

Can't find the size anywhere, but it has a tape measure thing on the lid - quite a bit smaller than the lid and this goes up to 54cm, so have a feeling that ours is the 100lt, cost me £80 last year.

(model no is 6286)

trixymalixy Tue 16-Jun-09 14:25:34

We have an electric cool box for our camper van, which is pretty good, be warned though that they use a lot of power so you will need a leisure battery as well.

Yeni Tue 16-Jun-09 15:16:12

Thanks, Flappy. I was thinking of getting the 36QT but I'm not sure if a big one would be better in the long run. Decisions, decisions.

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 15:35:08

Ours comfortably held 2 bottles of wine, yogurts, 2 litres of milk, butter, several packs of cheese, cold meats, sausages, bacon, eggs.

We opened 2 bags of ice and had that at the bottom and around the food.

Buy food bags and stick everything in those as when some of the ice melted, we found our food floating in a bit of water the first time we used ours.

having the tap at the bottom really makes it easy to drain the water away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now