Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The shop rekons I won't be able to put it up on my own.... but I have no choice!

(37 Posts)
Alambil Tue 16-Jun-09 09:36:19

so pray tell, how do you cope?

DS and I go on camping holidays as they are a tad cheaper than abroad etc.... but we're a small family wink

so how am I going to put the tent up on my own? (well, with a very weak 6yr olds help)

I want the Outwell Carolina to replace my tunnel monstrosity but the shop bloke rekons it's miles to heavy to put up on my own....

could I do it? is it possible to put a tent up on one's own? or shall I abandon the idea until years down the line when I have a partner to help (which seems ridiculous)

arrgh.....!

Mercy Tue 16-Jun-09 09:49:40

We've got an Outwell (different model) and I have to say it takes 2 adults to put it up - BUT I have heard people say they can manage on their own (dh and are probably just wimps!)

Do you have a garden so you can practice?

Bollocks, you will be fine, are you reasonably strong? I always put up our Outwell Montana 6 on my own as dp is not allowed anywhere near itgrin, until it's up obv.wink

I learn't a really quick way from the excellent Yeomans outdoors pitching videos on utube.

I have found you one for the Minnesota which I think is similar but a bit bigger, sadly they don't have one for your exact tent, but it should give you some ideas, I would follow the way they pitch it rather than the instructions that come with your tent, I can put the Monty up 20 minutes faster their way and with much less swearing.

The running is optional I believe.grinwink

Would help if I posted the link wouldn't it?

Pitching vid. here

theyoungvisiter Tue 16-Jun-09 09:53:10

I've never used an outwell but I think you could put up a khyam on your own.

Or try to camp near a friendly looking family? I would certainly never mind helping out a fellow mum!

If you go to remote places though I would play it safe and only get one you've tried out. Did you know you can hire tents?

amazonianwoman Tue 16-Jun-09 09:55:21

I can't comment on the Outwell Carolina, but this Decathlon 4.2 family pop up tent looks like it could be erected single-handedly.

I've seen it in Decathlon, it looks fab grin

Actually, just looked at the Outwell link - it could be doable? Or there'll always be some friendly camper who'd help you out, unless you're planning some remote wilderness camping trip. I'd definitely offer to help a single camper, esp if they had young kids running around smile

Mercy Tue 16-Jun-09 09:59:45

Thanks for that link - I wish I'd thought to look at Youtube years ago!

We have a Montana 4 but wish we'd got the 6 instead.

Peachy Tue 16-Jun-09 10:00:16

Dh can pitch a Khyam Ontario 8 easily enough, but nt our Sun Valley as its just so very heavy (only needs help for certain stages though)

Personally, i'd take advice of camping shop bloke and look elsewhere

Alambil Tue 16-Jun-09 10:48:14

that bloke makes that look easy!!

You should easily be able to put this up by yourself. I can put the Outwell Colarado (the old XL one) up by myself and its a 5 berth which is about twice the size!

I can do it in about 20 minutes, admittidly with a bit of swearing and getting a bit hot under the collar! I did consider getting the tent you linked to as thought it would be easier but then got a VW Campervan instead. grin But the old Colarado has holes in so needed replacing otherwise I'd have carried on.

My DD is 8 but doesn't help apart from passing tent pegs! There is a technique to it and I would advise to practise in the garden first. You need to put all the poles on and then pivot the tent upwards on the poles into a standing position. The only slightly tricky bit is getting the first main guyrope pegged in. You need to tension it in one hand while holding the poles upright in the other. Then quickly let go of the poles and peg the guy in. Then peg the other main guy in (I do back guys first). Then "walk" the tent out so the poles/hoops are paced out and do the front guys. You'll be fine.

slummymummy36 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:01:00

I camp on my own with my 2 girls and have been since they were 6 and 4.

I have a huge 6 berth canvas frame tent which I can manage on my own apart from the lifting of the canvas over the frame. I just go and ask a nearby camper for help if no one has offerd. I find people seem to come along and just offer to help me once I start erecting the frame though. No one has refused my help yet and I often reward their assiatnce by a small treat later that evening or the next day - maybe some cream and scones or wine etc.

Saying that I used to have a Khyam Rigdidome XL which I think has now been replaced by the Khyam Chatsworth. Now this I managed completely single handedly. Admittedly not in the 10 minutes the adverts claim but the tent comes already attatched to the poles and with the Khyam quick erect system. You pull the top middle bit up and it moreless just pops up on its own. You obviously still have the pegging and guying to do but its easy enough.

I love my canvas frame tent but because of car space I am seriously considering buying a Khyam Chatsworth for in the future. It was just so easy. Take a look at one.

www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/KhyamChatsworth_Ridgi-DomeTent.html

They also do the Chatsworth TC in Polycotton. Another thing with Khyam tents is that they do tend to have more enerous sized bedrooms. SO don't be put off by the fact its only a 4berth.

supersalstrawberry Tue 16-Jun-09 11:09:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Peachy Tue 16-Jun-09 11:18:20

Sal, how long have you been fanying that tent now? LOL......

wink

Size is crucialin two ways when pitching:

firstly if you're very short you won't have a hope with many tents, my friend is 4' 9" and stuffed by that for pitching alone, nly option would be a QE or smaller tent

Otherwise its the tent ewight thing- the weight of our SV8 is why DH cannot pitch alone , much more significant than with a small tent.

Alambil Tue 16-Jun-09 11:19:22

That chatsworth looks nice but is too pricey for me - budget up to £250 only unfortunately

ingles2 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:20:03

Lewisfan, have a look at my profile. I have an Outdoor Revolution tent very similar to that Outwell one. I can put it up on my own, but it helps if ds steadies the frame whilst I peg it down. That's not hard though,he won't have to hold any weight.

Alambil Tue 16-Jun-09 11:21:37

I am 5ft8 so not very short... am quite strong too

I only need a relatively small tent cos it's only ds and I (and possibly my mum) so 4 berth will be plenty of room I rekon

What do you think? is ebay a trustworthy place to get tents?

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Jun-09 11:21:58

Blimey LF, that tent is huge.

You really don't need something that size for just you and your DS.

I camp alone with DS all the time, but I have small tents and they are easy to put up on my own.

Seriously, buy a nice two or three berth small tent with a little porch at front to store stuff. It will cost you a lot less too.

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Jun-09 11:23:41

yes ebay is trustworth, but you don't need somethgin so big!!!!!!!

FlappyTheBat Tue 16-Jun-09 11:25:10

WhereTheWildThings.., I've also got a Montana 6 and have seen the same video on YouTube.

Can I ask how long it takes for you to put up your tent yourself?

Normally dh and I do it together in about 30mins and have struggled in the past to get the pins into the poles, used to do this when poles were already upright.

Dh is away until end of year so had ruled out going camping again this year but sounds like I might be able to do it!

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Jun-09 11:27:13

I'm going to find you a tent

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Jun-09 11:29:27

LewisFan buy this tent

Cotsworld Outdoor are a great company (more reliable than ebay lol) and look at the price!!!!!!! You cannot go wrong with a Vango tent. I ahd one for years and always put it up alone.

ingles2 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:32:37

here's my tent on ebay for £62 atm!!!

Blu Tue 16-Jun-09 11:43:21

OMDB - your link just goes to the Cotswold home page.

Lewsifan, if it is just you and DS, you don't need a big tent - one with a good sleeping compatrment, divided into 2, and a big porch sticking out the front, standing height. Maybe something like this kind of set-up here. I have often taken DS camping on my own, since he was about 5, and have been able to put up our vango tent (a bit like the Vango Icarus 500 model except that the sleeping bit is dome not tunnel) on my own, with a tiny bit of well directed help from DS..."hold this while i thread it through, hold onto this and keep it upright for a minute".

Also, campsites are full of helpful practical souls who like nothing better than to come and help.

You will be FINE!

ingles2 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:49:42

Just make sure you take a couple of bottles of beer Lewis, with which to bribe the nice campers next door.

Alambil Tue 16-Jun-09 11:51:43

I have seen it at the local camp shop and it really isn't THAT big!

I like my space blush and have a gigantic table and stuff... we seem to take a lot of stuff....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now