Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about roll mats

(6 Posts)
Mung Mon 15-Jun-09 21:05:45

Not self inflating ones, but the foam ones. After arriving at a site and finding a punctured air bed and having a ThermArest years ago that got a puncture I could never really find and fix I am thinking that a good old roll mat is the best way forward. At least you know that what you pack is what you get out once at your site.

Am I kidding myself that I will have a good night sleep on one?

Are the slightly more expensive ones, like the Multimat family premier really any better?

I used one in my younger days when I used to go camping with friends and we had to fit 5 adults and all our stuff into a Pergeot 205, god knows how we did it when I look at what I take camping now....

Anyhoo I was young, pissed and quite possibly on mind altering sunstances wink. So I used to sleep like a log, but I don;t think I could do it now, those mats are very thin and the ground is very hard and cold.

amazonianwoman Tue 16-Jun-09 10:08:06

I used to use them too Inter-railing & camping with mates, in the same frame as mind/body as WTWTW by the sound of it wink

Don't think I could go back to them now. In fact I don't think I ever slept well on them. We upgraded to sumptuous Fat Airics grin

amazonianwoman Tue 16-Jun-09 10:10:16

I somehow got everything in a Renault 5.

We went camping a couple of weeks ago with the kids and our Passat + roofbox was so overloaded we snapped one of the car's rear drive springs grin

Mung Tue 16-Jun-09 23:06:52

I was so worried that would be the answer. I squeezed a 12mm one in a shop today and tried to convince myself it was spongy and cosy hmm.

I'll just have to drink more alcohol before going to bed then.

Overmydeadbody Wed 17-Jun-09 10:00:50

a roll matt sounds exceedingly omfortable to me, am debating whether to buy one as I'm not as young as I used to be and grass just isn't soft enough anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now