Talk

Advanced search

Just booked to go to wowo nr Uckfield from Wednesday - tell me all about it please

(20 Posts)
nikkid21 Mon 15-Jun-09 14:42:16

Going Wednesday to Saturday to celebrate dd and dh's birthdays. Not much info on their website but are there any secrets that I need to know?

Do I need to take my own loo roll? What's good to do around there? Can the children cycle around the site or is it not worth taking bikes? Can they paddle in the stream as i'll take extra clothers and jam jars if they can.

tia
nikki

nikkid21 Mon 15-Jun-09 19:45:38

bump

chipmonkey Mon 15-Jun-09 20:53:36

Sorry, nikki, never been. Have you tried asking on ukcampsites? There are 45 reviews on it there so if you post a question, maybe someone will have the answer?

nikkid21 Mon 15-Jun-09 20:57:27

I've had a good look at the reviews. Saw on a couple of mumsnet threads recently that people had been there. Hoping that they will come along and give me the gossip.

Looks like a fab site anyway smile

chipmonkey Mon 15-Jun-09 21:00:41

It does sound beautiful, especially people talking about all the campfires dotted around in the dark. Back to nature!

ra29needsabettername Mon 15-Jun-09 21:07:27

It's lovely, specially if you get a spot in the woods. Haystacks for kids to climb, rope swings etc. Very basic but the fact you can have a campfire is great. (Why am I telling people?- please nobody go there!)

ra29needsabettername Mon 15-Jun-09 21:08:49

sorry to answer your questions- you didnt need loo roll both times I've been, cycling is fine and yes kids can paddle in the stream!

nikkid21 Mon 15-Jun-09 21:13:44

Fab - thanks so much ra29. I'll pack lots of clothes for the children and they can run wild. Basic is fine for us - owner said that they had plenty of space on Wednesday so hopefully we will get pick of the pitches before the weekenders come in.

They are doing a cheaper midweek deal as well at £6 per adult £3 per child for Wed & Thurs as well.

ShePeeTeePee Mon 15-Jun-09 21:35:57

Yes, worth taking bikes. Lots of space - rough grass or tracks through the woods. Also a lovely area for cycling in general. The Forest Way is one option - former railway line now a cycle route between East Grinstead and Groombridge. You can join it at Forest Row - just head north on the A275.

Bluebell Railway is worth a visit - very close to the campsite. If you don't want to pay out for train rides you can just visit the engine sheds and watch the trains come and go in the station. There is only a small charge for this. Sheffield Park next door is a National Trust gardens with lots of lakes. Ashdown Forest is very close and offers lots of places for walking or cycling here. Groombridge Place is a lovely day out www.groombridge.co.uk/. The South Downs are also within a fairly short drive, and if you go to Lewes don't forget the obligatory visit to Bill's.

The campsite is very laid back. The only thing (aside from the torrential rain) that we didn't like last year was their policy on rubbish. No bins or recycling facilities on site. They spun a line about encouraging environmental responsibility, but unless you know where you can buy everything wrapped in nothing but brown paper bags and wax paper its a complete pia. We tried to burn some left-over risotto on our fire - it smoked like crazy and the put the fire out! I hope they're not continuing this nonsense this year.

ShePeeTeePee Mon 15-Jun-09 21:40:07

Oh - and please try the weekend barbecue here The Griffin and report back. Pub restaurant has a fantastic reputation.

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Jun-09 21:45:48

The Griffin is blardy fantastic. When we used to live in East Grinstead we went there a lot. Food was always fab

ra29needsabettername Mon 15-Jun-09 21:48:25

I went at easter and they were doing the take your rubbish home with you then too, so doubt it will change for the summer...
For another time - the yurts are also really magical.

nikkid21 Mon 15-Jun-09 21:53:16

Thanks everyone

Am planning to take our own food and BBQ so probably won't make it to the pub. Have a campfire recipie for roast chicken with a can of beer stuck up it's bum that I want to try.

We'll take walkie talkies and let the kids explore and report back while we put the tent up. They like the freedom to run wild and get filthy so this sounds like the ideal place.

oliverboliverbutt Tue 16-Jun-09 13:45:39

We love it (but shhhh don't tell anyone).
Still take your own rubbish home policy, which is a pain - where to fit it?
Nice little stream running through it, composting toilets, there are showers I think but very basic.
They encourage music, but no drums or amplified. They have a pig roast as well.
Campfires are the best of it really.
lovely walk through the bluebell woods to the pub.
Next year they are probably going to go private membership though, so go this year if you can.

nikkid21 Tue 16-Jun-09 14:41:37

Thanks - we are going tomorrow. Weather looks good and they sound very friendly on the phone.

chipmonkey Tue 16-Jun-09 19:56:20

nikki, can you share that roast chicken recipe please?grin

mad4myboys Tue 16-Jun-09 19:59:17

near me! weather was gorgeous here today

nikkid21 Tue 16-Jun-09 21:10:06

Haven't tried the roast chicken recipe yet but it was in one of the broadsheets. There are videos on you tube as well. Just google beer can chicken - the americans even buy special stands to do it on.

Bascially you season the skin, then stick a lemon, some garlic and an opened can of beer up it's bum cavity. Cover in foil to protect from the flames and prop it up (with the beer can up the right way) on the fire for 40 mins of so.

I haven't tried it yet but will let you know how it goes when I get back.

chipmonkey Tue 16-Jun-09 21:42:55

Wow, that sounds lovely! Does it have to be Budweiser?grin

nikkid21 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:17:33

Dh won't let that fizzy muck taint his chicken. grin We will be using real ale (smirks)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now