Talk

Advanced search

please help!!! need a pop up zip up lockable (with lock) tent for my DS who has autism

(16 Posts)
stillenacht Mon 15-Jun-09 10:39:03

Can anyone point me in the right direction? He has a tendancy to escape from beds and we have a secure bed at home but we are going to 'brave' going on hol and we are going to put a mattress inside the tent (we are staying in a house) and then zip it and lock it so he can't escape in the middle of the night (my big fear and the reason we haven't as yet been on holiday) He is nearly 6.

TIA

smile

stillenacht Mon 15-Jun-09 11:55:14

bump smile

CMOTdibbler Mon 15-Jun-09 11:57:59

Would a tent which has two zip pulls that could be then carabinered (or one of those security cable tie things) together work ?

You'd have to look at the actual tent to check that they zip pulls were suitable, but might work ?

Lilymaid Mon 15-Jun-09 11:58:32

You can buy a lock that will fit the zips on any tent. Won't you need to ballast the tent down though in case he tries to get out and knocks the tent over on its side?

stillenacht Mon 15-Jun-09 12:00:25

Thanks everyone smile I really need a pop up one with a zip - i don't mind if he rolls about in it (it will be on the floor) but it has to be secure.Thanks smile

TheDevilWearsYFronts Mon 15-Jun-09 12:04:30

Blimey would that not be terrifying for him?

Can he not sleep with you, with the bed pushed against the door perhaps?

troutpout Mon 15-Jun-09 12:25:35

So.. is the tent just a means of keeping him in one place ? is that right?

I think Thedevils idea of him sleeping with you in a shut up room with the door blocked would be easiest maybe?

bigTillyMint Mon 15-Jun-09 13:06:07

Oooh I've never heard of a secure bed before - what is it like?

Peachy Mon 15-Jun-09 13:14:18

Hiya Stille

jimjams has been looking for similar if you approach her, but otherwise its a case of find the right tent and woprk out how to lock I reckon.

Fist things first- we know you need, pop up or wuick erect; how many people for, and will you be erecting alone or have a DP? Also, are there any other unusual needs- eg a really tall DP, that sort of thing?

As a quick start though the khyam quick erect tents and quechua 2 seconds are the mainstay of this type

stillenacht Mon 15-Jun-09 14:16:26

thanks Peachy will check them out smile

TheDevil - no he would not be scared by this (he loves to feel secure/hemmed in) - I prob won't sleep in same room as him as I don't want him to think this is the norm for when we get home.

A secure bed is like a cot but with extra big sides - My DH made one for DS when he was 2 and had climbed out of the cot - its lockable with an inner door - they cost a fortune in the shops (about 1000 quid!)

stillenacht Mon 15-Jun-09 14:19:52

a secure bed-Zaks bed

Peachy Mon 15-Jun-09 14:27:29

That tuffbed looks good on that link, ds1 destroys his at best annually

Hmmm......

bigTillyMint Mon 15-Jun-09 15:01:25

Wow - that's some bed grin

stillenacht Mon 15-Jun-09 15:24:04

yes its just a shame its 900 quid - I mean grrrr so unfair - have a disabled child and for them to sleep safely its gonna cost 900 quid angry

troutpout Mon 15-Jun-09 16:04:22

So what about a gelert quick pitch pop up. here
It looks like it has a double zip...so you could just use a normal lock to lock the 2 zips together. He could move them around but they wouldn't come apart iykwim.

stillenacht Mon 15-Jun-09 17:57:27

that looks great!! Cheers troutpout! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now