Talk

Advanced search

I need a shelter-type thing for cooking. Any ideas?

(10 Posts)
oregonianabroad Thu 11-Jun-09 19:11:42

And do any of you cook in the tent (no horror stories, i can well imagine)?

nikkid21 Thu 11-Jun-09 20:02:05

I use one of these with some / all of the sides off

here

you do then have to pay a fee for a gazebo at some sites.

I have started many a 'where-the-feck-do-I-cook-when-it's-raining?' threads, I have a total fear of cooking inside the tent, though I know many do, and whenever we camp we see lots of people merrily cooking away inside and dp does this face ->hmm, as he thinks it will be fine.

Last year I did spend a whole week doing all the cooking outside and it rained every sodding day.

This year have brought a canopy to cook under, probably still marginally unsafe, but nothing is going to make me cook porridge at 6.30am in the rain ever again.

TheMadHouse Thu 11-Jun-09 20:07:35

I have a very large beach unbrella that is positionalble. I would never cook in the tent either

gigglewitch Thu 11-Jun-09 20:09:21

we were away last week and loads of people were using these green tent thingys - also seen them advertised in the camping club mag.
found you a linky!

DeepGoat Thu 11-Jun-09 20:09:24

yes it is called a cafe and other people cook

gigglewitch Thu 11-Jun-09 20:11:57

grin @ DG

oregonianabroad Thu 11-Jun-09 20:43:18

Crikey, those are spendy and seem pretty hardcore.

I saw someone with a 3 panel gazebo thingie that wasn't huge (but looked pretty expensive too, now I think of it).

We cooked a bit in the tent last time, after trying to rustle up a full cooked breakfast in gale force winds post-6am wake up call --kind of ruined our hardy outdoorsy spirit. One of us was watching the kids while the other watched the stove, in the middle of the floor of a rather large tent; but my heart was in my mouth the enitre time, and I have since heard enough horror stories to kind of put me off.

Slubberdegullion Fri 12-Jun-09 21:13:37

I have the utility tent that gigglewitch has linked to. I have a sort of love-hate relationship with it. I love it because it does exactly what is says in the tin. The stove and all the clart gets put in there (all so neatly and orderly) and it is MINE ALL MINE and the dc are not allowed in.

So I am chilled on the safety front and the tent is all free of crap and garbage.

BUT

it is one ugly mother of a tent, and it is noisy in the wind (which is a bummer as our lovely canvas tent is all quiet but we can still hear the utility rustling about in the wind), and we have to pay extra for it which is a major pisser as the combined footprints of the main tent plus utility are still probably half of some of the super giant tents I see pitched these days. grr

Our last trip we couldn't take the utility, and cooking in the porch was NOT ideal hence I have now purchased a tarp & windbreak combo to see if that works better/as well as the utility.

I will never cook in my tent. FAR to many scare stories on ukcs to risk it.

God I do go on. This issue has been playing on my mind somewhat [bluch]

Slubberdegullion Fri 12-Jun-09 21:15:14

wtf is bluch? sounds like some sort of danish tinned meat product.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now