Talk

Advanced search

Devastated!

(12 Posts)
specialmagiclady Thu 11-Jun-09 18:09:28

8 man canvas bell tents were £150 on Amazon, but not any more.

Weeps with tent envy...

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 11-Jun-09 18:12:32

shock

how did I miss that?

<<sob>.

specialmagiclady Thu 11-Jun-09 18:16:20

I know - gutting!

On a different note, is it okay to admit that, actually you bought the wrong tent, even if you haven't used it in anger yet?

Do we have to persist with our 8 man monstrosity of a tunnel tent we have no intention of using for anything but weekends?

We are very much virgin campers so the idea of a "weekend tent" and a "long holiday tent" is just idiocy.

Should we sell it now, unused, and go for something smaller that we won't feel too daunted by to actually go camping with? Or should we persist?

nikkid21 Thu 11-Jun-09 18:48:52

I would persist as imho bigger is better where tents are concerned. The getting it up gets quicker with practice and every inch of living space is appreciated when is pouring down outside.

However... we bought a wynnster leisure shelter (gazebo with sides) at easter. Have used it once (for 3 days) and have now upgraded our tent to one that has a big integral porch. Now we don't need the leisure shelter so that's £100 up the spout. Might try to sell it on ebay.

Did the same with a chemical loo and toilet tent last year. Didn't even get it out of the box before we changed our mind about really basic camping and sold it for a £50 loss on ebay.

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Jun-09 18:53:32

How many people are actually using the tent?

If you need the room, then I'd say persist with the 8-berth, you will soon get proficient at putting it up quickly!

troutpout Thu 11-Jun-09 19:04:01

i would sell it unused ...you would get a good price for it anyway. Get the tent you which would suit you better
My friend did this...she used her tent once and hated it...sold it on ebay

specialmagiclady Thu 11-Jun-09 19:14:38

There are 4 of us - two quite small. (Although obv they will grow!)

I meant to get the 6 berth, but they were out of stock and offered me the 8 for the same price. It's not the size erect (snigger) that bothers me, it's all about getting it into the car! It's VAST and so heavy I can't get it down from the loft on my own, which is offputting as you can imagine.

Peachy Thu 11-Jun-09 19:16:54

What tent is it then?

specialmagiclady Thu 11-Jun-09 19:20:45

Embarassingly, I don't know and I can't be arsed to go up to loft to look. We bought it 2 Christmases ago and it's been up once, in our garden!

Peachy Thu 11-Jun-09 19:44:24

Well you won't sell it like that LOL

An 8 man tent is too big really, you should add 2 to maximum occupancy to get a family berth size. But i've been tehre, I bought my aprents a tent and stockists did the same thinga nd aprents ended up with a tent way too big for their needs.

If you really want shot, some sul on freecycle would benefit hugely for it, if not sell and write off to bad experience.

specialmagiclady Thu 11-Jun-09 21:39:54

True - think I will only sell if I find a tent I Will Truly Love. We are camping next weekend so will try it with the Gigantic Behemoth. It was pretty cheap. If we get on alright and like it, we can give it a couple of years.

specialmagiclady Mon 15-Jun-09 17:09:40

FYI have now got it out of loft. It is a Khyam Ontario 8

a veritable palace, but not beeeoooootiful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now