Talk

Advanced search

starter set, camping virgin

(9 Posts)
frazzled74 Thu 11-Jun-09 09:48:26

I would like to take dcs camping during summer hols. dont drive so will prob go to local campsite just for 3 nights . can anyone reccommend a starter tent/package that doesnt cost too much and tell me the basics that i will need. does anybody have experience of carrying tent etc on a train (for future years)or do all campers drive?

Fimbo Thu 11-Jun-09 09:52:38

Frazzled, I don't know how useful this will be for you, we have only been camping for the first time ever this year at half term to a Readytent. It was fab and everything was set up, all you had to bring were towels, sleeping bags and pillows.

I know Halfords do starter packs including sleeping bags etc, but I don't know if they include a sewn in groundsheet, which I think is recommended.

Don't worry the pros will be along shortly! grin

ShauntheSheep Thu 11-Jun-09 09:54:19

I dont drive nad we camp either backpack orbike and train.

I'll look up my camping list for you and comeback.

Have to say to get a light tent you may need to spend a bit more money. We ahve a Vango spectre bought last year which is quite light and very spacious as is a 3 man. Last tent we had was also Vango and was only a 2 man but did 3 of us fine (2 adults 1 child of 12).

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Jun-09 09:57:16

First of all, can you get yourself to an Aldi today? They have camping gear in today on special offer and it is really good stuff.

I camp via public transport, but I only have the one DS, so our tent is tiny and lightweight and we don't need much stuff.

IIf you use trains your DCs really need to be old enough to carry most of their own stuff own their backs, including sleeping bags.

You need to think about whether or not you can manage to sleep with just a sleeping bag, or if you need to take roll mats or air beds as well, as these are extra bulky tihngs to carry.

What about food? If I'm going somewhere via public transport I make sure there are shops close by for food supplies (other than the shop on the campsite which is always a rip off).

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Jun-09 10:00:10

lightweight tents that fit into rusksacks are mosre expensive, and are usually quite small (ours is very low, so not really somewhere to retreat to if it's raining).

How many people going? What size tent do you need?

ShauntheSheep Thu 11-Jun-09 10:02:55

Camping List
Tent, Cooker
Light , Saucepan
Sleeping bags Plastic bags
Cool bag with freezer thingies
Torch ,gas, food
Batteries
Radio ,Cups
Camera ,Plates
Penknife ,Cutlery
Plasters
Antiseptic cream
waterproof jackets and trousers
boots
sandles
socks
knickers
tshirts shorts trousers
jumper each

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Jun-09 10:09:24

I use these instead of taking saucepans and plates and bowls. They are lightweight and you can eat straight out of them after cooking in them.

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Jun-09 10:11:21

And for cooking, I recommend a trangia if you are using public transport.

frazzled74 Thu 11-Jun-09 11:07:39

it will just be me and 2 dcs this year, ds is only 3 so am going to have a lift to local campsite.I wanted to buy a tent that will be light enough to travel with in the future. I have just been to aldi and saw the tents but it may be too heavy, am going to look into the halfords family starter pack. I am hoping to persuade dh to come next year and we can go further afield.thanks for all the replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now