Talk

Advanced search

boxes with lids- and other camping storage?

(19 Posts)
glitterkitty Wed 10-Jun-09 20:21:30

DP goes mad with rage if I buy 'unneccessary' stuff for the tent which he then has to fit into car.

Have already bought some solar powered fairy lights in this year, and now feel strongly that i need storage (have also been marvelling over bodenesque windbreaks etc but concluded too hard to hide in the car) grin

So can anyone recommend some kind of storage thing that I can buy, preferrably pop up or squashable?

Drives me mad having stuff piled about,and at the moment all I have is 1 giant green holdall for clothes plus carrier bags, but its a nightmare as have toddler who likes to throw things into a giant heap and leap about in it.

Someone mentioned hanging bags or something? From where?!?!

expatinscotland Wed 10-Jun-09 20:23:42

IKEA. You need to visit IKEA.

mrspnut Wed 10-Jun-09 20:24:55

I have a fantastic trolley unit which comes apart to go in the car but the drawers can be filled with crap useful items and then just slotted into the made up unit in the tent.

I use mine for kitchen stuff and crisps/ biscuits.

All of our camping gear is stored anyway in large plastic boxes in the garage because then I know at the end of a trip when everything is washed, dried and put away that we are ready to just sling it all in the back of the car for next time.

PinkyMinxy Wed 10-Jun-09 20:28:44

Our tent has a hanging clothes rail in the end bedroom, I wonder if you can get one of those. I save up those hangers that take two or three t shirts for the children- it stops things getting that sort of outdoors dampness, and keeps some of the chaos at bay!

Those hanging tiered storage thingies from Ikea are good, I use them for smalls and other bits and bobs. I hope I'm not being daft but make sure you have something to attach these thigns to- lots of these up in one tents have poles on the outside now which leaves nowhere to tie things to.

You can get wardrobes but they are a bit pricey.

For food area we've got a table with larders combo which is really good, and no bigger than a folding table really.

glitterkitty Wed 10-Jun-09 20:29:05

Ikea! Land of useless things which i love. I have about 800 tealights from ikea which i never ever use- but they were so cheap...

and the idea of packing away in boxes is great. What sort of size boxes?

expatinscotland Wed 10-Jun-09 20:30:04

ALL sorts of sizes, plastic with lids, collapsible, hangy-up thingies.

Seriously, go and have a browse.

lunavix Wed 10-Jun-09 20:30:21

where do you get solar powered fairy lights???!!!!!

lunavix Wed 10-Jun-09 20:30:22

where do you get solar powered fairy lights???!!!!!

glitterkitty Wed 10-Jun-09 20:33:24

Great idea re hanging storage things... but tent with outdoor poles so no hanging possible. Curses!

And folding table would be heaven, but DP is a bit hardcore. I have to sneak bits in gradually or he goes into a spasm and starts asking if we need the airbed. sad We eat on our laps. On the hard floor.

I want wardrobe and cupboards and tables! <<cries>>

glitterkitty Wed 10-Jun-09 20:35:17

lunavix- amazon! they look fab, little white stars. and solar panel is small. Also got solar powered mosaic tea liught holder thing for sitting around.

I bought a fan heater too, wait till he finds the box grin

glitterkitty Wed 10-Jun-09 20:36:41

expat- i bloody dont drive so have to persuade dp that we need to go... but i DEFINATLY will get some next time I'm there. Thanks for the tip!

nikkid21 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:40:53

When we do our big shop at the start of a camping holiday I grab some of the cardboard fruit crates that they have at the end of the tills. They are FREE, stackable and are great as a makeshift chest of drawers for clothes and / or packets of food.

I have 3 pop up laudry baskets that were a couple of pounds each in primark. One for dirty clothes and one for each of the children's toys. Wellies / crocs go in a collapsable sided crate by the front door of the tent.

PinkyMinxy Wed 10-Jun-09 20:44:22

Oh I see wink we moved into comfy camping a fair while ago now. DH had a sporting knee injury which has had it's advantages as regards tables, chairs etc. for campinggrin

It was quite funny actually, because we went camping last year with another family, who were very sniffy about our creature comforts- but you can guess whose tent everyone lived out of for the holiday!

Surfermum Wed 10-Jun-09 20:45:53

We use those plastic greenhouse things like this. We have a shelf each for our clothes.

But you'd never manage to hide that! If we go for shorter periods we each have one of those big blue "green" bags from Tesco each for our clothes. In fact I have 2 french ones as well now in different colours, so we have a different colour each!

glitterkitty Wed 10-Jun-09 20:45:59

nikkid21 THANK YOU! I will def get crates when shopping on holiday. Would never have thought of that. And free will appeal to DP's pennypinching careful nature grin

Will also try and get pop up laundry baskets for toys/clothes!

glitterkitty Wed 10-Jun-09 20:48:54

Pinky I had years of hardcore camping when growing up. I need carpets and mood lighting now. smile

Wish there was a pop up sofa you could buy.

PinkyMinxy Wed 10-Jun-09 20:58:47

I couldn't agree more smile

Have you seen the Aldi thread? They are selling folding cupboards tomorrow on their specials. Not sure if they would go small enough.

Wooden veg crataes a fab idea. They were our home storage when DH and I got our first flat!blush

PinkyMinxy Wed 10-Jun-09 20:59:47

Cardboard veg crates, obviously. Showing my age a bit there blush

glitterkitty Wed 10-Jun-09 21:16:59

Looked at Aldi thread. Lovely cupboards. <<thwarted sigh>>

Pinky- me too lol- and i had shelves made of planks/bricks. mmm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now