Talk

Advanced search

electricity in Eurocamp tents

(5 Posts)
millypip Wed 10-Jun-09 13:28:48

Hello again! Thank you all for your great tips and advice so far. I think I'm becoming hooked on this board, let alone camping!

My last question before I put my lists away for a bit is, what is the deal with the "electricity" in the eurocamp tents. I'm a bit confused by the whole electric hook-up thing altogether. Is it 12v or can we plug regular chargers/hair doobrys in? I think I read somewhere, possibly here that you would overload if if you plugged a hairdryer or something in. (As I'm camping I wasn't planning on taking a hairdryer of course , maybe just travel hair straightners!, but I was thinking of phone chargers etc)

If anybody can shed any light on this (ha ha!) it will be much appreciated. :-)

blowbroth Wed 10-Jun-09 18:34:28

Hello Millypip. When we caravan in france we can choose electricity which will deliver 4, 6 or 10 amps. To work out what you can use you divide the power of the appliance (eg kettle at 1000 watts) by the volts which is probably 220 or 240 volts. If it comes to more amps than you have then you will 'blow' . Gosh , it sounds complicated but in fact it is straight forward!
For example if I am boiling a kettle I know I can't use the water heater at the same time etc.
Nothing major happens if you trip. Someone will just come out and re set you!
We usually have only 4 amps and that's enough to run a big domestic fridge and the small one in the van, boil kettles at the same time, all lighting at 240 volts. I do tend to use my hairdrier at the wash block!
Hope this helps, I'm no expert but have years of practice!

millypip Wed 10-Jun-09 19:29:05

Thank you blowbroth. I get it, sort of! I think I will take a few things with me in the hope that we don't blow to much. Thank you.

nikkid21 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:54:19

WE styed in a eurocamp tent in France last year. Used a french adaptor plug and had no problems charging the camera / sat nav / walkie talkies.

Didn't use it for anything else so can't help with straightners.

millypip Wed 10-Jun-09 21:37:12

Thank you Nikki. Camera batteries are the most important things so you've put my mind at rest :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now