Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Finally decided on the vango diablo 600, please say it's worth it !!!

(32 Posts)
Lilyloo Tue 09-Jun-09 10:12:21

After literally months of research we are going for this one!
We haven't seen one up but did see the tigris. Have decided i want two pods but enough room for a double and single air bed in one!
For me , dp and 3 dcs!

Have bought most of the accessories so just need to wait for pay day to get tent!
Am v excited now grin

lunavix Tue 09-Jun-09 10:18:31

how much is it lilyloo? have you found a good price?

Lilyloo Tue 09-Jun-09 11:16:40

we have found one for £200 but you need to buy the flysheet too.
But it includes the porch at the front!
Are you looking ??

bunnyrabbit Tue 09-Jun-09 16:03:03

IMO Vango tents are well worth the money and £200 is a v. good price. I've my Equinox 350 for over 10 years and now have a Oregon 800 too. Did look at the Diablo at the time. Very nice tent.

Happy camping!!

BR

bunnyrabbit Tue 09-Jun-09 16:13:11

Oh one quick word of warning. When we were looking for tents I remember this one taking a little while to put up, but if you have 3 DCs, no doubt they can either help, or amuse themselves!!

happywomble Tue 09-Jun-09 16:55:23

yes I think with this one you put the inner tent up first and then the waterproof bit over the top. Ok as long as its not raining when you are pitching the tent!

We looked at the outwell hartford which has pods like the diablo but you put the outer tent up first and then the bedrooms. However the hartford is more expensive than the tent you are looking at.

Lilyloo Tue 09-Jun-09 20:53:51

oh no Happy that's not a good feature then ??

happywomble Tue 09-Jun-09 21:06:58

Well this feature (putting up inside then outside) did put us off. We started off thinking about the diabolo then started looking at the Outwell Hartford (3 pods but put up outside first). In the end we thought the Hartford would be slightly too big for our needs and people said it doesn't fit a standard pitch. It was also more expensive.

So we went for the Vango Tigris 800. The Tigris 800 has a lot of space but would be slightly over your budget of £200..I think the basic tent was £235 but we paid over £300 as went for the footprint, carpet, porch as well.

Apart from the putting up issue the Diabolo sounds good value if it is £200. I am really no expert as we have only just bought our first tent.

Hope more experienced mumsnet campers will add to this thread.

bunnyrabbit Wed 10-Jun-09 09:18:36

Lilyloo,
Don't want to be too negative as you've made your choice, but it really depends how many hands you have to help I suppose. From what I remember, the guides said it takes about 45 mins to erect and, as womble says, putting the inner tent up first can be a bit awkward if it's raining as the inner tent gets wet before you manage pitch the outer. The same also applies when striking the tent as the outer is struck first leaving the inner exposed to the elements.

Personally, I prefer tunnel tents as there is no dome to raise as I'm only short, but I do love the idea of the pods off the central living quarters in the dome tents. Also you get plenty of headroom in the central section so if one of you is tall it, you won't have to stoop.

BR

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 10-Jun-09 09:28:36

I have a diaboo 400 and it is fab. I can put it up just me and the DDs 'helping'. first did it when they were 10 and 8. It is a good tent. sturdy, plenty of room.

the drawback is putting it up inner first in the rain but the only answer to that is wait until it stops grin

Peabody Wed 10-Jun-09 12:44:25

I'm really sorry to be negative, but I have a Vango Diablo 600 sitting in my shed at this momment, and I can't recommend it. Although it has huge amounts of living space, the two sleeping areas are far too small. Because of the slope of the roof you can't really get 2 people in a bedroom comfortably, because the person on the edge has the roof in his face (don't even think about 3 people).

You can get a double airbed in a bedroom, but you wouldn't want to sleep on the far side. I'd question if you'd even fit a double + single.

My friends borrowed this tent last weekend and actually slept in the lounge and used the 'bedrooms' for storage.

Sorry again to rain on your parade but imo I don't think it's the tent for you.

Lilyloo Wed 10-Jun-09 12:58:46

Thanks all am so glad i asked
is the vango tigris 800 better then ???

I'm with Peabody (sorry) this was one we were considering, until we saw it a display and as soon as we walked into it it was a no, the bedrooms are tiny and the whole tent feels strangely cramped and slighly claustraphobic.

However you hay have totally different priorities to us, is there anyway you can see one up before you buy?

Sorry x-post, it would be a better choice for me, but then I much prefer tunnels.

DorisIsAPinkDragon Wed 10-Jun-09 13:14:52

Hi I have one of these and think it's absolutely fab dh and I put it up easily on our own (admittedly in the dry but it has bucket loads of space, my sis calls it a "harry potter" tent (iyswim)

The bedroom pods took our double and dd1's single and we managed to squeeze a pop up crib in as well (we had heads to the lounge (by the zips) feet facing out if that helps.

We will be buying the footprint for it this year tho' as the SIG has strated marking and we don't want it to have any holes.

happywomble Wed 10-Jun-09 15:12:21

the vango tigris 800 is a different shape. It has two bedrooms on one side a large living area in the middle and two bedrooms the other side. The thing we liked about it is that on one side you can lift the partition between the bedrooms to have one very large bedroom. So there is a lot of flexibility with the sleeping arrangments and you don't have all the bedrooms one end as with many other tents.
There has been a thread on the vango tigris 800 this week (sorry don't know how to link to it).

We looked at the diabolo amongst others and have in the end purchased the vango tigris 800.

hockeypuck Wed 10-Jun-09 17:41:22

We have the diablo600 and love it. We bought last years model for £200 too and then we bought the carpet and footprint. It takes forever to put up though - about an hour and a half including all pegging etc, but that was with just DH and I on a first attempt. We sent the kids off to the play area and then they just hung around waiting, they were no help!

The bedrooms fit a big double aerobed and a standard single, but I wouldn't want 3 people in there, I'm very fussy about my personal space Dh and DS share one and DD and I the other pod. We also sleep with the pillows at the lounge end. DH is 6' 5" so he does have to have his double airbed slightly at an angle with DS's ready bed in front. He would have this trouble in any tent though, he is freakishly tall!!

We went away with DBIL and DSIL and they had a simple Eurohike 4 person tunnel tent. I did envy the outside pitching first and the whole ease of use - it was up in 20 minutes. However, it would be useless for sitting in, in a rain storm. The Diablo would be toasty dry cos of the SIGs and the separate lounge. The weather was fab when we went but we could have easily cooked in the porch, we had a big table and stuff in there with no problems.

Generally I'd say, it's fine for 2 adults and 3 kids but would be a bit squashy if the 3 kids were 3 tall teens.

bunnyrabbit Thu 11-Jun-09 10:51:37

Is the Tigris the same as the Oregon?

Lilyloo Thu 11-Jun-09 12:55:27

ooh is it ??
Am going to look at a diablo this weekend. Have just been to see a tigris and i really like it but just a bit more over bidget.
Have found a good deal on the oregon though so could that be the compromise ???

happywomble Thu 11-Jun-09 13:11:23

They do look very similar. I think the tigris is new this year and may have replaced the oregon.

Therefore if you can get an Oregon for a lower price than the tigris the oregon would proably be a very good buy.

Maybe you should just check what modifications have been made for the more recent model.

bunnyrabbit Thu 11-Jun-09 13:13:41

Looking forther, the Oregon isn't available anymore, it looks like it's been replaced by the Tigris, and there are some differences. There are different models too so do be careful and come and post before you buy anything.

It looks like the Tigris has a porch and is more like the 2007+ model of the Oregon in that it opens up at one end and has a SIG whereas my model has a bath tub groundsheet and a door on each side only. Mine also has full flyscreens on both bedroom doors and my friends 2007+ model ony has half fly screens.

Happywomble, can you confirm what the Tigris has?

Tah

BR

bunnyrabbit Thu 11-Jun-09 13:14:31

Crossed posts. There are definitely differences in the Oregon models.

Lilyloo Thu 11-Jun-09 13:26:58

This is the oregon deal i have seen

thanks very much ladies for all your help smile

bunnyrabbit Thu 11-Jun-09 13:26:59

Tigris is longer and slightly taller.
Also has a better HH (3000 as averse to 2000 on the Oregon)

Having said that when we camped in 2007 and it bucketed down, we were the only dry tent, and one of the few left standing. Two of our friends tents went bye byes and one of the others ripped the fly sheet on their force 10 (it was about 12 years old though).

We ended up with all the kids eating breakfast at the table in our tent!! (silly cheap fold out picnic table with chairs attached from Argos)

After years of camping in the Equinox, any tent you can fit a table in is pure luxury for me smile

BR

bunnyrabbit Thu 11-Jun-09 13:33:24

I think you really need to have a look in RL.

Hockeypuck really likes her Diablo and it really is horses for courses. Tents are a very personal thing and you really need to see it up before you know if you're going to like it.

Also decide what your priorities are.

Quick erection (lol)
Full height bedrooms?
Sewn in Groundsheet (they pretty much all have these these days)
Fly screens?
Bedrooms next to each other or at each end?
Lots of little bedrooms or fewer big bedrooms?
Porch?
Front/side/end entry (those puns just keep coming - oops)

etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now